Be real: WM is staying. So, who's 2014 OC?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by LTG61, Oct 24, 2013.

1. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    The above post is why I tend to favor hiring former offensive coordinators as head coach, guys who will call their own plays and keep the same offensive system in place throughout the years...rather than hiring a defensive minded coach that has to rely on hiring a good offensive coordinator. If that OC has any success, he usually leaves to become a head coach and it's tougher to deal with OC turnover than DC turnover IMO. Spurrier and Meyer came from the offensive side of the ball, Spurrier with his Fun N Gun and Meyer with his Spread Option. Spurrier had success with multiple DC's over the years including Stoops from 96-98 while Meyer had Strong.

There's plenty of defensive talent here in the state of Florida where we should be able to have a solid defense more often than not so I would rather take my chances with potential DC turnover in order to have an offensive minded head coach that had his own system. So guys like Spurrier, Chip Kelly, etc. Obviously defensive gurus like Saban, Stoops, Muschamp, etc can win big too so there's no right or wrong, just a preference all else being equal.
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Its early again, answer my question, how many coaches in the last 25 yrs have come right into a "broken" program and won a natty by year 3? List 5 of them.....
  3. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    I mentioned this before and totally agree. Just hard to imagine finding a great DC is as hard a finding a consistently good OC and that potential problem is removed with a HC with a proven, built in offensive gameplan.

Then maybe appeal to kids/recruits, fans more, etc
  4. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    That made me think.... who was the last offensive guru head coach to win a national title? I'm not sure of course there is myer but I believe people discredit the role his great defenses played. I think 06 was mostly defense and take out tebow and harvin, (big time play makers) and you have 2010 season hardly a offensive juggernaut, hell once mullen left so did the offense.
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    So why complain? Oh and I was just repeating what our former coach called the team he left behind. Urban called it "broken" it just seems alot of posters have the "ricky bobby" mentality.... if your not 1st your last. Unfortunately only one coach wins a natty each year, and lately its been the same guy. So the other 120+ teams should fire their HBC because they have won " zero, zilch, nada, not a nam single natty. Let me ask you would you prefer a clemson team that has awesome offense but gives up 70 pts? When is the last time UF gave up 70 pts? Seems like they have a awesome offense and a horrid defense. Opposite end of the spectrum. We have top notch defense and bottom dweller offense. Pick your poison I suppose.
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    The copy is always flawed in relation to the original, Florida is one of the most successful programs in the last few decades by not copying the elephants, but by doing it the Gator way.
  7. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    im not sure WM will be here next season .... we still play UGA,USCe, FSU and Vandy , not one of those games are a certain win ... we can certainly lose all 4 of those games...lets see what happens
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    True! But we could also also feasibly win our remaining games (fsu..scratching my head) although we tend to beat fsu when we are not supposed to. It It could happen....maybe
  9. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    i know your right .... i just want to beat UGA
  10. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    if we beat FSU that would be a amazing coaching job and and a almost perfectly played game
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    We were one game away from the BCSCG last year.

By the way, if KMA means kiss my a**, I think its time for you to grow up a little before you talk to the grown ups, ok slugger?

This is why we need better parenting people, children like this need discipline. smh
  12. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Agreed! That it would. Lets hope.
  13. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Thank you for explaining that to him.
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Lol! Be easy on him, like u said its not his fault, it's muschamp's because he hasn't won a natty yet by yr 3. Smh!:)
  15. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    The guy is not right in the head. He showed his arse today... WOW
  16. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    I took his post to be saying there aren't any perennial contenders.
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Yeah me too! Together uga and uf have so many injuries this game has become "the last of the Mohican's ACL"
  18. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. Read it again, he was generalizing basically saying that our team, or anyone elses "doesn't have to be perennial contenders", not that there aren't any. Its especially obvious if you read the last sentence where he says we had our day in the sun.
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    You know what I get from this is the only team more consistent than UF the last 20 yrs also plays very similar style as us. Great defense, good special teams and a ground-n-pound or "boring" (as some on here would call it) offense. Looks like just maybe champ is on to something. He has a losing record against the injury bugs. He just cant beat them. Smh
  20. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    I'm not a recruiter but is looking at the last 20 years helpful regarding recruiting? How many years can UF have 100+ ranked offenses before UF ceases to be taken serious by highly ranked HS players? I think low production numbers would be fodder for other schools competing for the same recruit. Right now FSU can show kids dynamic plays from a high scoring offense and talk about building resumes for kids looking to go Pro. Is what we are witnessing with AL going to become the norm where once a team is on top they stay there for a while?

My chef concern is that we are setting conditions to be down for a while.