Baseball-UK vs UF

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by hoyt233, May 21, 2014.

1. hoyt233

hoyt233 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    The Gators are in one of their hitting slumps. They look like they are ready to go home and get ready for the NCAA. Top of the 6th 4-1 UK. Gators have 3 hits.
  2. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Gators hit 2 rockets with the bases loaded in the 6th, but both are caught and only 1 run scores. 4-2 now.
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    For a team that bunts as much as we do, we never seem to bunt when we should.
  4. hoyt233

hoyt233 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Gators lose 4-2. Typical mid week game.
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,287
    Perhaps UK has one of the best pitching staffs in the country? :D:p Ok, ok, I was teasin' a little there, but I think we can see this team seems to have a serious problem getting it's bats hot and keeping them that way. It's why we'll never make it past a regional IMO.
  6. hoyt233

hoyt233 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    not having Bader bunt was a bad move. The DP killed any momentum we had going.
  7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Since you continue to revel in your ignorance about other teams, Kentucky's starting pitcher tonight is a potential first round draft pick next year.

The "serious problem" that the Gators have is that they're not a very good offensive team. Just say that instead of spouting cliché buzzwords like focus and intensity.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +932
    So do we still try to win this thing or pack it in and get rest to the pitchers for regionals? Honest question
  9. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    Then quit following you curmudgeon.
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +607
    They play to win, competitiveness comes out whenever you take the field....but I think you are careful with the staff and perhaps work on varied lineups without too much stress on outcomes.
  11. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,287
    Make me. Lol:rolleyes:

It was some friendly teasing. The only "curmudgeons" here are those with way too thin skins and name calling.

Honestly 75, you and double down need to lighten up. The only reason I teased was because of how uber-sensitive DD responded and flamed last time in that other thread. Heck, I was mostly agreeing with DD but he continued arguing at me regardless.

FYI, other posters on this board are entitled to their opinions and dont deserve to be attacked in such fashion if they don't agree with your's.

It is amazimg to me the posters who live for conflict on this board. It's why I stepped away from GC for three months, just because of this kind of behavior right here.

Try a little more honey instead of so much vinegar guys and try easing up with the confrontational Tudes.

Here's an olive branch to you two. Lets all chill and see a joke for a joke and ease up some.

We're all Gators here.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  12. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,164
    This team is so bipolar!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    This team has the same main issues as last year except this years team has better pitching.

The offensive output of this team is just bad and very inconsistent. I think whenever you look at a lineup in college ball you would like to have 7-8 guys hitting around the .300 mark. Now people will point to the bats but the bat issue hampers homerun totals - it should not affect the abilities to hit singles, doubles, and triples.

This team has done alot this season and the one thing that is different vs. last year is that they compete and play but I am hoping they hit some form of collective offensive output as a team and somehow get hot hitting collectively down the lineup. Because if that does not happen real quick then I can certainly see the idea of struggling to win the first weekend in regionals (even maybe losing) and then just plain lose in the superregionals. I have a very hard time believing they can go very far in the post season if they continue this type of offensive production - I don't care how good the pitching is.

You give up 4 runs yesterday - I am sorry - you should be able to score more than 2 runs given where we are in the season right now.
  14. yankgator

yankgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    We likely lose Gushue next year. Do we have any players coming in who will provide some pop in our line up?
  15. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Kentucky is at the top of the SEC in virtually every offensive category and they had a losing record in the conference we just won. . . Just saying. It would be nice to have it all but if you can't have it all a team built on pitching and defense is more likely to be successful.

We have a catcher coming in from Venice who I think will start and do well.
  16. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    First, the SECT means absolutely nothing.

Second, bad days happen. That is why baseball has 7 game series and why they play 162 games in a season (or mid 50's in the case of college). It is a classic statistics sport. Put yourself in position to win and you will win the majority of the time. The majority of the time can equal lots of trophies in a sport as fickle as baseball. Yesterday wasn't UF's day. Happens. Get 'em tomorrow (today).

I think UF still tries but they keep a VERY close watch on the pitchers. Shore won't pitch again in my opinion even if UF makes the final. It isn't worth it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Team will be a national seed, beat FSU and just won the regular season SEC title, yet you don't think they will get out of the first weekend? If anything, I'm surprised you haven't gotten more blow back on that opinion.
  18. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,287
    It's easy to come in here and reply to a post almost 5 days later after circumstances have changed. Hindsight is always 20/20 they say. lol Come on now... :p

I also made that opinion after it appeared our bats had vanished again too, but after watching them come alive again in the last 2 - 3 days, I am a bit more optimistic.

When someone says they don't think our team will go all the way, it's not bashing on the team, it's them trying to be realistic. Some folks here need to stop getting bent all out of shape over some of the things said here.