Baseball Recruiting

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by taxman22, May 28, 2013.

1. Rowdy_Reptile

Rowdy_Reptile Premium Member

Another kid high on that list is Tyler Danish from Durant HS.......he pitched around 100 innings this season for Durant and did not give up an earned run all season with something like 140+ K's. He also played 1B & SS and hits the shit out of the ball. Unfortunately, look for him to get drafted fairly high and never set foot on campus.
  2. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Tweet from Cody just now:

The buzz about AJ Puk making it to Gainesville continues. I think he gets to campus at this point. Immediate impact, two-way player.
  3. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

When it comes to highly regarded HS players, the MLB draft, and college, take everything you read with a grain of salt, often times a professed desire to attend school is nothing more than a way to drive up the price to sign.
  4. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter Staff Member GC Staff GC Staff VIP Member

Omar Kelly, a Dolphins beat reporter, had a great line when answering questions about the draft. He said that teams and agents will tell media members false information because they know it will get published and can create a smoke screen.

Like you said, take everything you hear about any player right now with a grain of salt.

If Puk is drafted high, like he is projected to be, the best bargaining chip he has when negotiating a contract is the option to go to school rather than signing a deal.
  5. austingator

austingator Premium Member

Remember this, teams draft their top ten picks with every intention of signing them. IMO, Puk is very raw on the mound but has great up side. He needs to focus on pitching only as that is his ticket to the majors. Going to college and playing first base while waiting for his turn to pitch is not his best option. He is a bright young man so will be interesting to see what he decides. I typically advise pitchers to sign as just to much to lose especially when the bonus money is going to be so good. Whitson is a perfect example of this even though I still believe he would have been drafted this year in the first round again.
  6. Rowdy_Reptile

Rowdy_Reptile Premium Member

Just as I suspected......Tyler Danish went to the White Sox in the 2nd round with the 55th overall.......don't expect him on campus.
  7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Congratulations on suspecting that a guy with 0.00 ERA would get drafted high. :wink:
  8. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

It's going to take more than just next season to get this squad back to full strength if we keep losing so many vital players to the MLB. I understand that's the nature of the beast, but it's the MAIN reason we struggled so much this year.

We had a shaky pitching staff this season and now lost a couple of junior pitchers who really needed to lead the younger guys next year.

Gonna end up being a struggle next year too until Sully has stabilized the roster IMO.
  9. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

10 rounds and no Puk drafted. Guessing he's coming to Florida.
    Was he really ranked #84?

Also guessing Arroyo signs with the Giants? :)
  10. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

What? The only vital player UF lost from last year was Crawford. Gibson has potential and was drafted fairly high but never has performed to his potential, be it HS or college.

This was a very good day for UF baseball. They knew, based on what kids were telling scouts, that Arroyo, Danish and Brady were gone. The fact none of the other 20 or so signees have been drafted as of yet is excellent news and while UF may lose 1-2 others for whatever reason, there will still be a very good influx of talent arriving in August.

If Whitson and Kish can come back to pitch healthy, UF will be very good next year.
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

I think the staff could be much better next year even without Crawford.
    I think Harris takes the next step, Poyner and Mags were really good, and all those freshmen that took lumps should be vastly improved.
    As sting mentions, add in Kish, Whitson, Stump, and the incoming freshmen and you have a lot of options on the mound
  12. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter Staff Member GC Staff GC Staff VIP Member

Don't expect to see Arroyo in orange and blue. Puk has a very high ceiling.
  13. austingator

austingator Premium Member

We should see some players exiting the program as now Sully has many options unlike this year. He looks to have depth across the board next year. Bet this coaching staff can't wait for fall practice. I think we have like 29 on our current roster slated to return for next year and now we have another 15 coming in.
  14. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Where is the runs coming from?
  15. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Well-Known Member

Very true Hudson. It's happened often.

And then, there are legit situations where the player means it.

This very thing may expain the large number of UF signees not drafted yesterday.
  16. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Exit interviews have already taken place and like every year, several kids will not be back. Right now, if only Arroyo, Danish and Brady sign, UF will have more like 16-18 kids (not including the football signees)entering the program in August.
  17. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

If all those guys come back. Mags, Whitson, and Kish are all draft eligible. You never know for sure with this stuff, even when guys go in the later rounds. I always go back to Justin Tordi, who went in like the 41st round as a junior and signed.
  18. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

+1. A lot of kids are no longer with the team that played this year. I can think of 4 off the top of my head. But it looks like most of the class is still intact so we should be okay.
  19. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Mags is probably gone. Kish is ? right now (just his situation), whitson will be back. I don't think anyone pulls a tordi this year.
  20. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

It's funny how often I agree with you, DD. I was just thinking about Tordi in this context. Not a great player, but we certainly came to appreciate his defense when Adam Davis was playing short the next year.

The big difference now is that with the new CBA rules one team can't take a risk on a player in the 35th round and throw a disproportionate bonus at the guy.