Baseball Recruiting

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by taxman22, May 28, 2013.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I am not sure what list you are looking at. Alonso and Puk, if he makes it to campus, are both power hitting 1B types. Sternagel is a corner IF kid also but projects at 3B right now.

And TJ, you are correct in saying not to expect much from either Washington or Townsend. Too difficult to do both but Washington could be a heck of a player if he just concentrated on BB.
  2. austingator

austingator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    Puk is most likely going to go very high in the draft. He is best suited on the mound and that is where he needs to focus if he wants to make the big leagues. Have seen him pitch several times, he has good velocity consistent between 89-91 from the left side. Very tall and lean so not even close to matured physically. Yes, he can play 1B and has done so in high school but he is some what raw as a pitcher but has great potential. Pretty much a one pitch guy right now but his slider has improved this year and his braker is still a work in progress. Would not be surprised at all if he gets selected in the 2nd round of the amatuer draft as teams see a bright young man kid who can develop if focused on pitching.
  3. austingator

Ratings Received:
    +359
    Pete Alonso is a good looking prospect from Plant High School in Tampa, the same school that produced Preston Tucker (in fact, look for Prestons younger brother to make lots of noise as he can hit too). He will play 1B at UF and should start from day one providing some pop from the left side. UF is a hitters park with very reachable power alleys so Pete can be a guy who hits double digit homers during his carreer at UF.
  4. austingator

Ratings Received:
    +359
    I actually like Nick Washington a lot as a center field prospect. Would not be surprised at all in seeing him drafted just so a team lets him know how much they like him perehaps for future opportunities. As mentioned, if he expects to compete at UF in football he will need to focus and play football during thre spring to make an impact in football. His baseball skills are very raw but he has great upside with his power and speed. I really do believe if he focused on just baseball, Nick could be a first round pick, he has that much talent.
  5. austingator

Ratings Received:
    +359
    The last kid I would mention is John Sternagel. He is a great looking prospect and super intelligent young man. He will get drafted but signability is an issue and would not be surprised to see him drop a bit perhaps anywhere between 9th -15th rounds. Major league teams typically draft first ten rounds based on signability. In other words, they expect to sign all ten of these picks drafting accordingly. Personally think he can win the 3B position at UF from day one and be a three starter but not sure if Sully gives him the chance to do so with Powers and Tobias already there. IMO, 3B has been perhaps UF biggest need in terms of everyday guys. We have not had a legitimate guy who could field and hit from the corner for some time. John is capable of being that guy.
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Sternage did not have a good spring, and seems to have struggled with some health issues. This will probably improve odds of UF getting him to school.

I am a huge fan of Scott Moss. I think he will be a huge addition to the staff very early.
  7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32

You're right it was like there was a #1 who underperformed and never a solid #2 or #3 - have seen teams struggle to find a #3 but to not even have a top level #2 is tough.
    And it was pretty obvious that by the end of the season they only had confidence in 4 guys: Crawford, Mags, Gibby and Harris.
  8. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    Agree that the pitching was shaky - easily the worst of the Sully era, and some of the worst in several years.

But the pitching was much, much, much better than the hitting - or the baserunnig for that matter. Don't try to make the case that our pitching let us down in the post-season, so it was just as bad. It was not close. We actually had some good days on the mound against some good teams. We had maybe two good days at bat against good pitching.

This may have been the worst offensive team, all around, in UF history.
  9. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter Staff Member GC Staff GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,326
    I wouldn't say that Puk is a lock to make it to campus. Puk is projected to be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. That's ALOT of money to turn down just because you want to keep hitting. My guess is that whoever drafts him will throw enough 0's in his face that he decides being strictly a pitcher isn't so bad.

If he does make it to campus, pencil Puk in at 1B and throw him in the rotation day 1.
  10. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter Staff Member GC Staff GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,326
  11. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Here is an article regarding Puk from a local media outlet. I would say it is probably 50/50. The HS season just started in Iowa and he is going to play with them for a bit. It looks like we should have a good idea by the 22nd of what he is going to do.

http://metrosportsreport.com/index....tors-or-pro-ball&catid=184:about-msr&Itemid=1

A.J. Puk isn't sure if he wants to attend college after he graduates from Cedar Rapids Washington this month or get a job, so in that sense he's like a lot of high school seniors.

In Puk's case, however, he'll have to decide whether he wants to attend the University of Florida on a baseball scholarship or sign a pro baseball contract.

The Florida Gators have one of the top college baseball programs in the country. Puk signed with Florida last November and they view him as a two-way player at this point who can pitch, play first base or serve as a designated hitter.
  12. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Didn't know I was making the case about the pitching letting us down in the post season - missed the part where I said that. (Quite frankly, other than defensively, every phase of this team underperformed). Even though I agree with you that the hitting is horrible, I would also point out that we lost 3-1 and 4-1 leads late in the game. Certainly we had opportunities to pad the lead with even productive outs but I don't know if I would be singing the praises of a pitching staff that couldn't hold late inning 2 and 3 run leads against Austin Peay and Valpo.

The philosophy of this staff is pitching and defense! I would be willing to bet that the coaches knew this team wasn't going to hit much but thought they would get much better pitching, play solid defense, and be able to win when they could score 3 or 4 especially against teams like this. The biggest thing that seemed to stand out with the pitching is that it seemed like we issued so many more walks and HBP than in the past couple of years.

Nonetheless time to move on - next year will be better - it has to be.
  13. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Excited about the recruits, and thanks for posting the information on the potential guys.

Nick,

I look forward to seeing your updates on the other thread. In Sully I trust, Go Gators.
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Yeah, Sternagel had back issues, I believe, and maybe that increases the chance he comes to UF.

UF also has signed several JUCO kids who will provide healthy competition for starting jobs next year.
  15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    You're right. You didn't say that. Somebody else did. But 4 and 3 runs against those two teams is not exactly a ringing endorsement for the offense. And unfortunately, that amounts to an offensive explosion for this team.

The hitting was the worst ever for the Gators and the baserunning was bottom of the league. This last situation pre-dates Sully. I don't know why we can't run 90 feet and turn left without screwing it up so often.

You're also right that its time to move on and that next year will be better. I like what I'm hearing about some of the guys in the recruitig class. Looks like we may have some sticks again next year. The pitching will be better if we can simply stay healthy.
  16. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Plenty of teams in the National League who will draft a pitcher that wants to keep hitting.
  17. HungryGator

HungryGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Injuries hurt our pitching more than our offense this year. Having Whitson, Kish and Carmichael next year should help. I'd still like to see less walks and HBP though.

I think our only significant offensive injury was Richie Martin, but he was back for the last 2 months and ended up being one of our best hitters.
  18. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I don't think anyone has said lock, but the rumors have been floating that he has told teams he is coming to school. Is that just a ploy? I don't know. I'll let you know in a few months.
  19. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Is it a guarantee Whitson comes back? He's draft eligible. With his pedigree, somebody will likely take a flier on him. I don't know anything about the situation, but I could see a scenario where he decides to just put his college experience behind him and get started on a full-time rehab program with the aid of big league organization's training staff.
  20. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    There might be some similarities to Alan Horne, who was a first round pick, pitched for two years at Ole Miss, got hurt, went to JUCO, was taken as a late (late late) round flyer after his JUCO injury year and pitched for us in '05.

Whitson will be a redshirt junior next year. He might well figure that a dominant 2014 season would get him back into the big money.