Barbara Walters on Obama: ‘We Thought He Was Going To Be The Next Messiah’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Dec 18, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +623
    How liberals think. Scary. We all told you Barbara...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...obama-we-thought-he-was-going-be-next-messiah

PIERS MORGAN, HOST: You have interviewed every president of my lifetime. Why is Obama facing so much opposition now? Why is he struggling so much to really fulfill the great flame of ambition and excitement that he was elected on originally in 2009?

BARBARA WALTERS: Well, you've touched on it to a degree. He made so many promises. We thought that he was going to be - I shouldn't say this at Christmastime, but - the next messiah. And the whole ObamaCare, or whatever you want to call it, the Affordable Health Act, it just hasn't worked for him, and he’s stumbled around on it, and people feel very disappointed because they expected more.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    That dumbass and her friends did. She'd better not be including the intelligent 49% of Americans in that "we"
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    So, those in Too Hot who referred to him as the Messiah, and who were roundly criticized for doing so, were actually only saying what the liberals were thinking...

Good to know.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,887
    or at least one of them was.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    Why on God's earth would anyone think he would be a messiah? They knew nothing about him and after almost 5 years in office they still don't.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    They've figured out that he's an empty suit.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,744
    Babs WaWa and her beloved messiah-made me laugh out loud
  8. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I've mentioned this before, but there are a lot of people in this world that simply view their politicians in a different light than the rest of us.

I don't expect to ever find "a messiah," whether it's meant figuratively or not, within the realm of politics. There may be some guys who have a personality I can connect with, or may say things I agree with, but at the end of the day - they're politicians. I understand that. They're just people pushing agendas - nothing more. Some are genuine and care about the wellbeing of our country, but they still have to play the game like everyone else and as soon as they hit Washington - throw most of their ideals out the window.

It's funny(and worrisome) to see all of these Liberals who are looking back in hindsight, and sighing, and thinking what could have been, or how they've been had by Obama. Why put so much stock and faith in a politician to begin with? The lack of sensibility is just kind of surprising to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,706
    I don't know, but I've never actually heard anyone that wasnt a terrible pundit commenting on Obama call him that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LabraGator

LabraGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    The cult of personality.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    2 words: Oprah Winfrey.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,608

On an empty chair.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,371
    they are finally realizing that hope and change is not a real plan of action and their chosen one is really clueless when it comes to doing the hard work required to implement the nuts and bolts of programs, not to mention that his choices to carry out his programs have been abject failures
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,608
    He's a lazy bum... just like his voting base.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I think, for the most part, you're right. Most educated Democrats/Liberals who voted for Obama probably wouldn't have ever really called him that - but I do know some, who are very well educated, who while never necessarily said he was a messiah, they sure did act like it. And in hindsight, act as if they really bought into "Hope and Change," as if it were something more than a marketing campaign. To see people who aren't educated fall for this type of thing is kind of expected, I think, but to see people who should know better fall for it so whole heartedly is kind of worrisome.
  16. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +504
    Wow, so much is wrong with that statement. I'm gonna substitute the word messiah (and eliminate all religious discussion) for the term "next great thing."

Based on what? Promises? Is he the first politician to ever promise stuff? Heck no! Did he overuse the term "I promise"?? Definitely. How come others don't do it so much? Well because they know they can't deliver and will be held accountable. And you should know that an empty suit who has never done squat has never been held accountable for squat therefore he can promise "pie" without fearing the fallout.
  17. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,315
    Repeat post: The 2008 election was mostly a repudiation of the last few years of W's second term. Obama was/is charismatic and electing the first "minority" president had a lot of people excited. When the honeymoon feelings wore off, we had a choice to make, and we decided that going where we had no business going was preferable from starting with new "leadership" and I use this in parentheses since Obama has not shown one iota of leadership.

We chose the fantasy over the real facts of the matter in that he was - and still is - WAY over his head. 2012 and beyond is all on us.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +504
    2008-2012 is still on those who voted for him then. If he was never elected, he never could've been re-elected. I hear lots of people try to wash their hands clean of this saying "I didn't vote for him the second time." Sorry, the first time is the one that truly counted. All actions have consequeces. Not voting for Obozo in 2012 doesn't free you from your previous action or its consequences.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,315
    I am not disputing this, it is just that picking a Pub in 2008 was symbolically tied to saying the actions of the Pubs in 2006-2008 was okay. They got their butts kicked and for a good reason. I firmly believe that Obama didn't get into the race in 2008 to win, he was doing his homework and seeing what worked and what didn't for a serious run in either 2012 or 2016. But Hilary had too much baggage and his numbers started growing. So he was at the right place at the right time. Hope is a powerful message to plenty of people, especially when tied to the idea of making history.

But we had the unvarnished truth in 2012 and for a litany of reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum on this board, we decided that we just don't care to do any hard work. And we are going to reap what we have sewn.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,706
    Meh. I think in a country saturated with adverstising, people are generally cycnical about a sales pitch whether they are educated or not, especially WRT politics. People liked Obama more than McCain, its that simple. Just like they liked Bush more than Gore, or Clinton more than Dole/Bush. Slogans and promises don't win anything. The losers always rationalize that people were "duped" because they think their candidate was better, and no candidate can ever keep all the feel good promises they make. The "what-if" is always rosier than reality.