Bad calls by Umpire...

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by ArtVandelay, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,042
    It was a bad call, no doubt, but there's nothing you can do about it. Just remember that there are folks that love the nuances of the game, and this is one of them. Technology would make it really easy to call balls and strikes without an umpire. But then that would force everybody to work with the same strike zone...who wants that?

I think Maddon made way too much of this given that we are very early in a 162-game season, but he is certainly right about how bad the call was.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  3. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Horrible call I'm sick of umpires making their own strike zone. I played 14 years and pitched my whole life, and there is times, a lot actually, when you can tell that an ump is just over the game and tired... So he calls more strikes and wants out...
  4. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    How about a challenge rule? 3 per game
  5. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Will you be saying the same thing if they miss the playoffs by 1 game?
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,042
    Maddon's comments were about how it could impact the mindset of the team over the next few games. His comments may very well aid in making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Also, I didn't watch the game, how many other calls could have been called differently that may have impacted the game? Did the Rays gain an edge on any of those calls that are not being considered? Does it really matter if the ball is 3 inches outside the strike zone or 6 inches outside the strike zone? And then whose strike zone, blue's or the rule book's? The whole nature of the way the game is called lends itself to this problem. Technology only makes it easier to point out the flaws. There is a need to change the way it is done. For consistency if not for any other reason.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  7. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    As a former professional umpire, I can empathize with Marty Foster. Great guy who missed the call. No matter how many people say it's part of the game you feel like it never should be. I promise you he didn't sleep last night. Missing a call like that in that situation is the worst feeling ever.
  8. 74nole

74nole Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I'll say it again---the best umpires you ever watched work a game---you don't even remember them when you're leaving the ballpark. To me that means they did their jobs well but they were not center-stage.
  9. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Balls and strikes, should be electronically called. Its absurd in this day and age, that they're not.

Its better for hitters, its better for pitchers.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I think you would be amazed at what would be called a strike. Curveballs that hit the dirt could be called a strike or balls that end up way outside too. As a fan you would be completely frustrated. Remember it is where the ball crosses the plate not where it ends up, frankly I am glad it's not called like that.
  11. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    Seriously?
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,042
    I consider mine and Potzer's view to be the minority among baseball fans, but I absolutely agree with him. Consistency is the only thing I look for. Use of technology can only increase in consistency. The only thing I find frustrating is inconsistency.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,696

It's like refs in basketball who call charges blocks and blocks charges.

A strike zone should be over the plate, not one foot off the plate to either side. Too many times I've seen suspiciously "shifting strike zones" when the Lady Gators Softball team was playing for all the marbles West of the Mississippi, or when the Gators were playing USC-e for all the marbles too. And then there was the bad call at first base where our guy was safe and we ended up losing the game over that call.
  14. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Actually you are correct, the use of technology is helping the consistency while keeping the the human element. Umpires are far better trained now then ever before and technology helps with that. I get what you are saying, but imo the human element makes things much more compelling. Besides what would we blame our losses on without officials.
  15. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    A yep.

How can we start any conversation about balls and strikes, when each ump calls it differently, each pitch?
  16. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I don't think logistically it would be possible anyway. When and where do you begin. Just the major leagues? Sure every team could probably implement it at that level. What about the minor leagues? Everyone really learns the game down there and the strike zone, umpires included. Then you move them up to the majors and all of a sudden balls that end up 8 inches outside are called a strike because the thread went across the plate. Same with a pitcher who throws a 12 to 6 curve ball. Some of those will bounce after they came in at the knee. No way college can do it. Sure UF and other major programs could implement it what about JU or UNF or Stetson ect ect. I really don't think you have put much thought into what baseball would look like without an umpire. I get it, I really do. People always told us we are a necessary evil, but we are just that... necessary (not evil).
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,869
    This is so true.
  18. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    As a Braves fan, I have had my share of wanting to do serious bodily harms to umpires....1991 World Series Kent Hrbek pulling Gant off the bag, 95 World Series Omar Vizquel not having control of the ball at 2B for the force out, and of course last year's dreaded "infield fly" fiasco....

I have said it before and I will say it again...I don't get so much mad at umps for missing calls, its the human factor....players make mistakes, so do umpires....what I get mad at, and what never happened in the 3 situations I mentioned, was the umpire in the wrong never asked for help from other umpires....even if he knew he was wrong he was going to let it stand...its almost like they have too much pride or something to change the call...thats my biggest gripe, when you have a chance to make right a wrong and still dont do it....especially in a playoff game
  19. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I won't argue with the first two, but in the last one Sam Holbrook ruled correctly on the infield fly. The problem is with the rule not with the one who enforced it.
  20. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,869
    It's my understanding that for a correct infield fly rule to be called the ball has to be "from the dirt of the infield in fair teritory.