Backup / Future Center

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 2ndGenGator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. 2ndGenGator

2ndGenGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Coach Muschamp has indicated that he is cautious about playing Koehne too much since he is the backup to Harrison at Center. You've got to figure that the coaches are trying to redshirt Dillard this year, and he's the only other lineman identified as a Center.

Since Harrison and Koehne are both SRs, Dillard would be the only returning Center next year, as a RS frosh. It would not be ideal to be relying completely on freshmen at the Center position. For this reason, you know the coaches have been evaluating the current depth chart to determine acceptable candidates for Center next year, and have probably been practicing some of the linemen at Center to see who fits.

Ideally, one of the current sophomores, Moore and Thurman, would be capable of being groomed to play Center, providing a 2-year separation to Dillard. Also, if I were Quinteze Williams, I would look at the depth chart and then commit every possible effort to learning the Center position.

The questions for this board are:
    1) Who do you think are the likely and best candidates to play Center next year?
    2) Should an alternative center take more of the limited snaps available during practice and mock-up duty this year to be better prepared for next year? This would free-up Koehne to concentrate at right Tackle. In his career, Koehne has been adequate at both Guard and Tackle. With Green out, and Humphries and Moore already experiencing minor injuries, Koehne may be more valuable at right Tackle than backup Center.

I like the thought of Thurman at Center, if capable. For next year, you would then have Humphries, Green and Brown as the primary Tackles (2 +1 backup); Garcia, Silberman and Moore as the Guards (2 +1 backup), and Thurman/Dillard at Center, not counting the other freshmen. This may be the best opportunity to start the 5 best OL next year.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,000
    Moore and Thurman both got reps at center in camp. They are the first two options for next year, with Dillard behind them.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    It will probably be one of the Thurman Moore Silberman Dillard group. I am not to worried about it we have some good canidates