Backlash over prezBHO giving up control of internet

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Mar 18, 2014.

1. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    In traditional usage, the term American exceptionalism really had nothing to do with being "above the rules". That aspect of the phrase is of recent origin. I doubt that many people - whether they espouse American exceptionalism or not - think that they are talking about the U.S. being beyond the law when they discuss the phrase.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    "The rules" don't necessarily mean law, rather, meaning the constraints and expectations of natural, national growth, expansion, defense and longevity. As a nation ordained as a global leader (whether divinely or not), some expectations extended to some countries are bypassed by our own.
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    The phrase "American Exceptionalism" is itself a pretty recent one, though the idea in some form might have been in the ether for much longer. It (re)entered the lexicon in the age of Reagan in 1980s.
  4. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    Our country has been a refuge for many. Famines, poverty, etc wrought immigration, legal immigration !!, of people from Ireland, Italy, Spain, Cuba, etc to USA for "Opportunity". Our system of govt, our economy based on capitalism, and our freedoms (private property, etc) resulted in millions coming here, becoming Americans by learning the language, becoming educated, etc which resulted in a foundation of exceptional American people.

Our country has served as a Protector of peoples outside of our borders. See France, England, etc during WWII. We freed Cuba from Spain in 1898. See Bosnia. See the free country in Middle East- Israel. We eventually freed ourselves from our own sin of slavery (really owe a thanks to Wilberforce of England). We have, at times, gotten involved under the guise of freeing people, when we should not have, but no country is perfect.

Our country has served as the Charity Trough to the world. From groups like Feeding Children Everywhere to farm equipment shipped to African villages, to the Tsunami victims, to Aids help for African nations, to relief work and money for earthquake victims in Mexico. The list is too long to enumerate. No other country compares, no other country is as generous.

Our country has served as a "wall" for keeping countries under their own form of government. Imagine if the USA was a fractured, weak, poor nation (where we are headed) during the days of the Soviet Union. Imagine Stalin, Khrushchev, etc taking Europe, Middle East, Orient, etc one country at a time. Imagine the gulags. The victims. The slave camps. The iron fist of Communism blotting out entire families, villages, towns, people! We were for decades the only counter balance to that Evil Empire.

Our country, thru its people due to it being a land of opportunity, has served as an innovator. Air travel. Computers. Auto production. Food production. Medical care. Space exploration. Energy. All due to who we are which is based on how we do things here.

Exceptional? What nation in history has been able to accomplish all of this ?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,886

This above seems pretty "exceptional" to me.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Thank you for demonstrating the confusion in the etymology.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Allow me to elucidate ...

Definition of EXCEPTIONAL
    1: forming an exception : rare <an exceptional number of rainy days>
    2: better than average : superior <exceptional skill>
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Remind me what your political views are? Are you liberal, blue-dog, RINO, conservative or straight-up "Amerikan"?
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Non-partisan.
    Lean right economically and in regard to federal power, lean left socially, lean libertarian geopolitically. Politically homeless, in other words.
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    But you seem to agree with great regard to the Liberals on most of your posts. When you say that you economically lean right, what does that mean. Define it, please.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It means a reduction in overall taxation, a reduction of (but not elimination of) social parachutes, elimination of corporate tax, etc. I could go on.

The irony here is I'm actually agreeing with conservatives on the traditional definition of American exceptionalism.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,886
    Gotcha, thanks for explaining it to me.
  13. cjgator76

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Which is quite a bit different than above the rules.
  14. cjgator76

Ratings Received:
    +573
    From what I've read the phrase goes back at least as far as Stalin and his commie contemporaries, who used it with reference to, among other things, the lack of traditional class structure in the U.S.

Come to think of it, if Stalin thought America was exceptional, who are we to argue?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well that's sort of my point - the redefinition is what has defined that as above the rules.
  16. cjgator76

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I think you are vastly overstating this supposed redefinition.

Earlier you seemed to be trying to correct Bill's use of the term. That use was consistent with the phrase's traditional meaning and its current usage. It does not connote that America is immune from the rules, to use your term.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I don't think so, given he admitted to presuming it meant America is awesome.
  18. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,445
    Hey jdr...don't see you disagreeing with prezBHO too often but it looks like either you or him are wrong about American Exceptionalism. You can't both be right because you call it a "myth" but he says the following:

4/4/09: Barack Obama: I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism. I’m enormously proud of my country and its role and history in the world.

9/20/11: Barack Obama: Michelle and I, we’re only here because somebody passed on this incredible notion, this exceptional American idea that it doesn’t matter where you come from, it doesn’t matter who you’re born to.

11/30/11: Barack Obama: America is great not just because we’re powerful, but also because we have a set of values that the world admires … We don’t just think about what’s good for us, but we’re also thinking about what’s good for the world … That’s what makes us exceptional.

4/2/12: Barack Obama: My entire career has been a testimony to American exceptionalism. (Geez jdr...you are finally admitting that your hero's career is based on a "myth"?)

5/23/12: Barack Obama: The United States has been, and will always be, the one indispensable nation in world affairs. It’s one of the many examples of why America is exceptional.

6/7/12: Barack Obama: There are a set of values that make this country extraordinary, that make this country exceptional.

7/14/12: Barack Obama: What makes us exceptional—it’s not just how many skyscrapers we have; it’s not how powerful our military is. What makes us special is this idea that in this country, if you are willing to work hard, if you’re willing to take responsibility for your own life, then you can make it if you try.

9/24/13: Barack Obama: I believe America must remain engaged for our own security. But I also believe the world is better for it. Some may disagree, but I believe America is exceptional -- in part because we have shown a willingness through the sacrifice of blood and treasure to stand up not only for our own narrow self-interests, but for the interests of all.

Now jdr I will grant you the possibility that prezBHO actually agrees with you about American exceptionalism being a myth and he was lying all those times when he said he believed in it. But it looks like you will have to agree that either you're wrong about it, or he's wrong about it, or he's full of bull mierda. Sorry about that.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The first quote tells you exactly what you need to know, Bill.
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    I think acknowledging that American Exceptionalism is a myth and also believing in it are not incompatible things. Almost any sustaining idea we have about our identity is a myth, that doesnt mean they arent useful.