Backlash against 'Functional Training.'

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, May 28, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    The term is misleading and the concept questionable. Like leg presses aren't functional. R-i-g-h-t. The backlash has already started. And I count myself among the many who are now exercising in front of a mirror, working my 'show muscles' and even, God forbid! doing curls.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Haha. I haven't noticed what I would call a backlash against specific ideas so much as a backlash against the close minded "gurus" who believe there is only one way.

I have seen leangains followers doing curls and even cardio recently.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I agree with Berkhan on meal frequency and brevity in training. But I'm one of those guys who's discovered that, for all my deadlifts, rows and pullups ... curls actually quickly goosed out a half-inch on my arms.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Yea I think curls are good as long as they are put in their proper place within a routine. Some of the negativity just comes from those who focus on curls over deadlifts or other more useful exercises.
  5. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    For me, curls are one of those aggrivating exercises, just because it is such a stereotypical exercise for men to be doing.

If I were to go into the gym on Monday and watch (especially in the afternoon)... I will find this routine, multiple times.

Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Standing or Preacher Curls with the bar (at worst, in the squat rack), hammer curls. The curls are with the utmost AWEFUL form, where they have far too much weight, and use thier back to get momentum on the weight, then rotate their shoulder(s) under at the top. Most are done at this point. The dedicated ones will toss in some triceps of some sort for balance, then some abs. You can find some decline bench as well.

None of them will show up on Tuesday, about 25% of them on Wednesday to finish up with their backs. Neigh a squat, deadlift
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Atl that's exactly what I mean and backlash against those people is justified. No reason to demonize the exercise itself though. Just look at the curl bros and silently mock them.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I mentioned this in my fitness trainer trends thread. The leading lights in my industry are sticking with the mantra that total body workouts are superior for hypertrophy. But shouldn't they consult the world's leading authorities on hypertrophy, bodybuilders ? Doesn't seem like bodypart splits and curls have eaten into their muscularity.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    People seem to get way too deep into whatever fitness lifestyle they choose and refuse to accept the ideas from another style. Its almost as if trainers are going out of their way to avoid being connected to the bodybuilding community. Just as a powerlifter would dismiss a bodybuilding routine and vice versa no matter how many similarities they may have.
  9. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Our workout last night at the Training Yard in Atlantic Beach

run 0.5 mile

3 rounds of the following:
    20 overhead lunges
    20 ball slams(w/25 lb slam ball)
    20 walk-out push-ups
    30 kettlebell swings (w/50 lb weight)
    20 burpees
    0.50 mile run

then some ab work on the mat.

I suppose this is considered functional, don't really know. reasonably hard (for me) work-out.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Throw in some curls and you're good to go. :wink:

Seriously, if this is the kind of training you enjoy and it serves to meet your specific goals ... who am I to argue ?

I just have a problem with the widespread assertion that this is the 'best' sort of training.
  11. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Dreamliner
    I do not have the knowledge of fitness/training like you and some of the other folks who post here. At any rate, when you have the opportunity, jump on YouTube and view entries for "functional patterns". Also visit the website if you get the chance. Not sure if it would change your mind but I would be interested on your opinion on some of the training moves that are performed.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    jax, which youtubes in particular did you want me to watch ? Under 'functional patterns' I found one very silly youtube which had people jumping on stability balls. Two or three others feature movements like kettlebell swings and various cable movements.
  13. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Sorry. Not sure what you have in front of you. The website is www.functional patterns.com.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    jax, that was the youtube I watched that I thought was so silly and over-the-top. :laugh:

Seriously, I agree that it may be beneficial to perform multi-planar movements. But you don't have to jump on stability balls or madly drag a cable around the room like this guy ... unless you really want to exercise like that because you enjoy it.

An intelligently designed basic strength program will accomplish the same thing AND build more strength.

Example: even a very basic one-legged squat could be viewed as a tri-planar movement.

As for core stability, it's not all it's cracked up to be. There is little or no evidence that it reduces injury risk or improves performance. That said, very basic movements like one-armed overhead press, pullup, squat and deadlift variations all challenge the core.