BAbout a month ago I did an article about someone I knew uying Cigarets For Down And Out - Revisited

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by gatorfan5220, Jun 9, 2014.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,628
    About a month ago I did an article about someone I knew who lost his job. He managed to get food stamps but approached me a few months ago saying: "Can you spare me some money. I need some cigarets and beeer".

I refused and would still do so. What is interesting is the attitude this guy has shown since.

He let me know with his language, hints, etc that he is pissed with me.

I go down the street a few times a week to get some chinese food in a strip mall. Also in that mall is a 7-11 type where I always see him with a bagged Natty Lite 4 pack and a pack of cigarets acting like he owns the world.

He has kept up asking me for money saying he is down and out and I keep telling him no.

As I said in the earlier article I am VERY against cigarets.

What interests me is how is he getting the funds for his cigs and beer? Am I right that is about a $10 a day expense? He acts like people, including me, owe it to him. I came very close to confronting him about this but decided it's best not to argue with desperate people.

Thing is...recently this guy has been getting rather obnoxious and critical. I think I need to stay away from that Mall!!

Isn't it true that a lot lf these stories where some fed up human being pulls a gun out before entering include people kinda - sorta like this guy?
  2. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +922
    Without actually knowing the man I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's an alcoholic. If so I hope his desperation will lead to him wanting help.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    I'd say that anyone asking you for money for any reason is at your mercy. On the one hand I'll give him some credit for being honest about his intentions. On the other, if you're asking me for a handout then being angry when you don't get it isn't an option. Frankly, honesty is probably not the best policy when you're begging. He's given you a perfectly valid reason for declining, as if you needed one.

I usually give up some dough just because I'm lucky enough to have extra. I really don't care if it's used for booze or cigs. However, people I know won't give for those reasons, and I find those people perfectly reasonable. And if at some point I become adamantly opposed to either, then I'll likely not give for those "causes" when I know that's the final destination. I already don't give money to certain causes because of certain preferences I have.

Are you saying you're worried he's going to pull a gun on you? I typically wouldn't recommend a confrontation or a lecture. You're right, he may be desperate and have little to lose. A simple polite refusal is all he's "owed", as far as I can tell. Avoidance is probably the wisest move, so long as it doesn't impose some unreasonable burden on you.
  4. 1982Gator

1982Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    not sure what a guy armed with a four pack and cigs has to do with guns...but, I bet those PRs know...