Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by gatormonk, Jul 25, 2013.

1. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,952
    Dream..superior post. You know, I have read many of your posts. Not all 62,000, but some, lol. I thought you were a personal trainer, at least part of the time. shows what I know. :no::grin:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Just had a bad experience on a claim with 21st Century. They are owned by Farmers.

I used to have Progressive which I thought was pretty good, until they didn't notify me that my automatic payment was changed and then I had a lapse in coverage and my premium went up big. Had a few years with Geico.

I agree about changing up your auto insurance every once in awhile to get the best rates. I am about to change myself since I don't care for the way Farmers handled my claim. Luckily I have a good relationship with my mechanic.
  3. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Find you a good local agent. Just like having a good relationship with your mechanic having a good relationship with your insurance agent can save you money and also make sure your coverage is what it should be. An independent agent can shop many companies for you. Also like the problem that you had with your Progressive payment they may have been able to get the policy reinstated and saved you from that large premium increases.

Many people think that they can save money by calling direct and buying insurance. Well, it can be a lot like working on your own vehicle. Unless you know what you're doing it can cost you more in the long run than having the mechanic do it to start with.
  4. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    We had both for nearly 20 years but USAA wouldn't write a policy for our new home when we only moved a mile away. So we dropped our auto insurance and told them why.
    They do have good auto insurance service though...we'll probably go back to them next year when we feel less pi$$ed at them over the house insurance.
  5. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +624
    I've had USAA for over 25+ years. Never had a problem.
  6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,428
    No, you're spot-on. Fitness training is my passion. But it wasn't paying a lot of money. So, I had to find a real job. :dog:
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,705
    there you go thinking again Steve, I thought we had an arrangement you write I think :wink:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,952
    Lmfao....still laughing.

DREAM..excellent. I wish you the best and good fortunes. You have added a lot here. We all are better off for that.

JJ...you, no, YOU....YOU are a hoot. While I could protest...you thinking and me writing probably would be best. I have been doing the thinking thing and look where it got me?
    Now that I am in the fourth quarter ( just turned 65 a few months ago )... Trying to do some creative writing.
    Besides the horrific , nightmarish visions of a dysfunctional mind that I share with everyone here, that is. Ray was kind enough to give me the special $499 / year rate to keep me in the game, so there is that. Gratitude is one of my best attributes.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    My partner in my Real Estate Investment biz is also my insurance agent..
  10. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Thank you, Golphin, for one of the best explanations I've seen. One of my uncles, who was a contractor, said to me "You know why I don't like insurance, because I don't understand it". Well, duh! It's complicated man. Even for "just" personal lines it's complicated. And if you think you've got personal auto figured out, and then move to another state, well wipe the slate clean and start all over again.

I hope you don't take medical or legal advice from your neighbor, or the guy on the next bar stool, or a website page. Here's a hint, don't take insurance coverage advice from these sources either. Ask for referrals and find a professional you trust.