Auburn hires OU coach Sunny Golloway

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by HudsonGator, Jun 20, 2013.

1. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9389090/auburn-tigers-baseball-hires-oklahoma-sooners-coach-sunny-golloway
  2. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Interesting hire. He's got a resume a mile long and has piled up a bunch of wins, but he doesn't seem to have the best reputation and has never recruited heavily in this part of the country.
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    The Oklahoma people seem happy to have him leave which is interesting considering his success there.
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Would seem to be an upgrade, what's his rep? I don't follow OU, just curious.
  5. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    A whole bunch of people associated with the OU program were happy to see him go. It would be one thing if it was just one or two disgruntled players, but from the stories I read it was a lot of different people from all levels of the program, including some players who had successful careers playing for him.
  6. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    15 years as a D 1 HC, 14 post seasons. The year he missed had RPI of 29.

Thats all AU is looking for right now, is to being back to post season regular. If he accomplishes that, he can piss off anyone he wants to.

Hes apparently pretty hard on his players, which is exactly what the program needs right now. To many showboating pretty boys lately. I fully expect a couple of could be returning starters to hit the road. Hes getting 650K a year, he better produce & quickly. I believe Pawlowski was making 385K for comparison.

Quality hire, & Im definately excited for next season. ..but I always am.

Hired the Arizona St softball coach the same day. That one still baffles me. 8 season at ASU, 7 CWS trips, 2 titles... sure we'll take him..thx...lol