Athlon previews the 2014 Gators

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, May 13, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Well the team certainly took a dip in 2010. He then looked around and realized it was about to tumble down and ran out the building
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    There is NO REASON for UF to lose to UT at Knoxville. They are replacing the vast majority of their OL and DL. Their DL will be especially weak, with young unproven players, especially at DT. They do have a couple of nice LB's that will probably play in the league, but that is all. They have one decent DB and that's pretty much it. They seem to have made some big upgrades at the skill positions, but honestly, they've been good at WR and TE for a number of years now, and that on it's own, especially given their abysmal QB situation, shouldn't be enough to beat UF. It would be an unmitigated disaster if UF lost at UT this year. I agree with AZ, that Vanderbilt probably poses more of a threat next year than Tennessee.
  3. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +577
    To err is human, to blame it on someone else (or your health), shows management potential. :-D
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    He had a total eclipse of the heart.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +964
    From yours and AZ's lips to God's ear. I don't know the specifics of the players as well as you guys do, admittedly. All I can see is:

Year---------------Recruiting Rank---------Star Average---------Players Drafted

..............................Tenn----Fla...............Tenn----Fla.............Tenn----Fla

2011..............................13th.........12th................3.41..........3.58................3................4
    2012..............................17th...........3d.................3.38..........3.70...............1.................2
    2013..............................20th...........4th...............3.29..........3.67...............4.................8
    2014................................5th...........8th...............3.65..........3.58...............3.................4
    Average.........................14th...........7th...............3.43..........3.63...............11..............18

Nour numbers are substantially better than Tennessee's, but Tennessee's numbers are substantially better than anyone else in the SEC aside from Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and Auburn.

Yes, it is possible that Derek Dooley's recruiting was awful, but Butch Jones has a track record of rebounding after poor seasons (went 4-8 at Cincinnati in 2010, but followed it with records of 10-3 and 10-3).

Our talent numbers are awesome, yet we finished 4-8 last year (yes, I know why, so no need to discuss). Because of their recruiting capability and ability to develop players well enough to play on Sundays, I still am leery of Tennessee. Old habits are hard to kill. Good periods and bad periods are cyclical; I do not want to see that cycle end for the Vols in 2014. None of us thought Mizzou was going to go 12-2 last year, either, after going 5-7 the years before, or that Auburn was going 12-2 after going 3-9 last year. When the talent base is as high as Tennessee's, I always worry.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    I have seen the vols play I know who they have coming. I was one of the people at the beginning of last season that said Auburn was a lot better than people thought and all they needed to do was find a QB. We all knew Mizzou had a ton of injuries the year prior and I saw a turn around but not that big they also had some help with all the injuries in the east last year. The Vols have serious problems on both lines of scrimmage at QB and lack either speed or experience in the secondary. Tennessee does have a ton of talent at WR but I dont think they will have the time or QB to get them the ball.

Teams like Mississippi State Ole Miss USC Vandy A & M all have rosters I would rather have than the Vols for 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,848
    Agree. The West s/b very tough this year.
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    we are about to see how good of a coach Sumlin is
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,072
    Bro I can't write it and read it for you. First, you questioned the man's conviction while having no earthly idea who he is. My point with my comment back to you is that was just your pathetic way of one again bashing our coach.

Secondly, you totally failed in your attempt at knocking him for not knowing the offensive side of the ball. Meyer hasn't been the same without Mullen and Strong. The offense struggled Meyers last two years here and only looks good at OSU because they play nobody. How'd they fair against MSU? Mullen was the catalyst. Strong was the catalyst on defense. His defense sucks at osu. Every good coach depends on another to make things happen. You tried to make it sound the opposite.

The experience part I'll agree on although I'm not even sure where that falls into your post. If you used it correctly, what you said afterwards would've never been said.

You seem to look at things a little to generic. Don't be afraid to do some research. You'll be surprised what you'll learn.
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,072
    I know your not. I just didn't understand the lsu prediction.
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    I will openly admit i was a huge Muschamp critic (not basher, but severe critic), but when i heard about the internal problems i gave Coach a break.

We had similar problems between Fedora and Zaunbrecher when Zook was here.
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144

Thanks, and yes, there is no way i could relay who gives me info because it could get them in deep trouble, and i always ask them what i can and canmot repeat publically too.

I recall a few folks i knew inside fsu back in the 90s that shared info about some of the dirty dealings in their program and some people they told talked and gave them away and cost them their jobs.

I repeat what i hear, but admittedly, the info sometimes isnt concrete, but these people ive known a long time and theyre usually right on in what they hear.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Here's some research for you.

Urban Meyer coaching record:
    128 wins - 25 losses

Ohio State -
    (2013) 12-0 / 8-0 conference
    (2012) 12-0 / 8-0 conference

Utah -
    (2004) 10-2 / 6-1 conference
    (2003) 12-0 / 7-0 conference

Bowling Green -
    (2002) 9 - 3
    (2001) 8 - 3

Yep, he's struggled his entire life without Strong and Mullen.
    But you do have a point, Meyer has yet to play Georgia Southern.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,072
    Like I said very generic responses from you but expected. Learn to read. You can't seem to comprehend things well. Like that at UF he had the luxury of Strong and Mullen, and since they left, his team's from a production standpoint haven't produced nearly the same against the same quality of opponents. Sure he's feasted on the lesser opponents but......Meyer has quickly joined the likes of fsu ball. He ran from the competition.

The sad thing is you still won't comprehend any of it.
  15. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +898
    Bama is going DOWN this year......and we're going to do it in their house, baby!

ROLL GATORS ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +964
    Can't agree with you here. Ohio State played some great defenses last year and didn't get shut down.

Opponent-------------Total Defense-------------Off Pts Scored------------Yards Gained

Michigan State.........................2d..........................................24..........................................374
    Iowa..........................................6th.........................................34..........................................495
    Wisconsin.................................7th.........................................31...........................................390
    Clemson.................................25th..........................................33..........................................427

Average.........................10th.................................31.................................422/game

Compare to Auburn

Florida State.............................3d...........................................31...........................................449
    Alabama....................................5th..........................................28..........................................393
    LSU...........................................15th.........................................21...........................................437
    Miss State.................................18th.........................................24...........................................459

Average...........................10th...............................26...................................434/game

Not a lot of difference. We could compare with Alabama's top four defensive opponents, and it would be a lot less than Auburn or Ohio State.

Meyer needs a good quarterback who can run his system well in order to have great offenses. He had one last year with Braxton Miller, who returns. Ohio State will continue to be potent.
  17. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Urban Meyer has the 2nd highest active winning percentage among all active coaches with over 100 games, (only Chris Petersen has a better win %) and he has 6 12+ win seasons in his tenure. He might not be a good person, but the man wins football games. Period. He's never won fewer than 8 games in a season. He's on pace to easily be in the hall of fame. Looking at all coaches who have EVER coached, (10 years minimum) he is in the top 5 all time in win percentage. It's separate from our current discussion, but I just don't think those results are an accident.
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    I dont think it is by accident either. Urban is a great coach but he was doing a terrible job with managing the roster and the team the last few years at UF which is the main reason he ran. He cant stand losing and saw a bunch of losses coming which was not good for his health. A good showing this year and a great recruiting class puts UF back where it belongs in terms of talent and depth. We just need to hit that 8-4 mark with a much improved offense.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,072
    My position never questioned that he wasn't a good coach. Only that he had good assistants; 3 that are HC now. Unfortunately Muschamp hasn't found his until now I believe. My statement was also directed to the comment that Muschamp has to rely on others for his offensive gameplan which all coaches do when it's related to the opposite side of their expertise.

Whether or not Meyer is a good person is irreverent to me.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,072
    I would assume that looking at SOS plays a big factor in those numbers however. You cannot leave that out when referencing statistics.

Just a quick Google search (I'm traveling or I'd post the info) shows that other then Michigan State, when the other teams you mentioned faced a decent offense, they pretty much gave up 30+ points.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014