Athlon previews the 2014 Gators

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, May 13, 2014.

1. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Like Gray eluded to, how many head-coaches fire their OL or OC coach mid-season? Very few if any. So I'm not sure it was Champs lack of experience. To me an inexperienced coach might have fired one of them during the season and in the process making a bad situation even worse.

I think he had to wait till the season ended to fire the both of them.....which he should have and did.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,744
    When you have a cancer in your organization, it grows and gets worse until you cut it out.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Mike Vrabel got into a physical altercation with with Urban during the season and they waited until the end of the season for him to leave. If you fire a coach during the season who do you replace them with? Especially a OL coach.
  4. g8tr96

Ratings Received:
    +782
    And he got rid of the cancer at the end of the season like he was supposed too do.

Had he brought them both back this season, then I would support your line of thinking.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    Because he has neither the conviction nor the experience to do otherwise.
    He's entirely dependent upon others to design an offense, develop a game plan and win a football game.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  6. g8tr96

Ratings Received:
    +782

So are you going to bash the coach and players all summer long?
  7. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    He already brought em back once following a dreadful performance. No points for axing them after the second go-around when literally anyone would have done the same thing. Would have taken a lot more foresight and conviction to do it after 2012. That's what you pay someone $3 million for.

Either he knew they were terrible and hid behind our 11-2 record and didn't want the embarrassment of firing yet another OC/OL tandem OR he had absolutely no clue they were awful. Either way = not good.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +550
    Listen, if experience tells me anything, it's that these sort of "work-place incompatibilities" don't happen over night, and are often complex. Perhaps in 2012 he just thought it was an issue of having a new OC working with a new OL coach. So he gave them time to work out the kinks, and hey, look at the record. UF was 11-2, seemed to be moving in the right direction, and maybe he put some of the OL blocking issues on the players. I mean, there are so many factors.

So imagine it's been a full year, and you're staff is seemingly doing it's job, you think your program is heading in the right direction. Which is fair enough. But then, bad things start happening that are outside of your control. Injuries in this case, and then just a head-scratching loss to Miami where, on many occasions, your own players just crapped the bed. So all of a sudden the coaches are really fighting (who knows when the fighting actually started). That is common when things in an office become more stressful. Problems that start out as just philosophical differences, or maybe even small personality differences blow up into full on confrontations.

That can happen to ANY manager, of any level of experience. And then, most well intentioned managers will give the employees time to work things out. Which, hey look, UF won 3 games in a row after the Miami loss. Hey, things are looking OK. Maybe my employees aren't getting along, and maybe I'll need to unfortunately fire one at the end of the season to get totally clear of this, but hey, I'm 4-1, (undefeated in the SEC) and I like how things are looking, despite my crappy injury situation. Also, lets realize that Muschamp really needed OL recruits in a bad way, and consider that firing your OL coach in a year when you really need OL recruits, is never a good thing. Anyways, given all that, by the time crap really started to go bad, the season was already more than half over. At that point, you just gotta play the hand you've been dealt. No point making a change in the middle of the year, when you haven't even had time to look for possible replacements. And when you need all the manpower you can get recruiting.

I feel just fine blaming Muschamp for a lot of things, but it's hard for me to blame him for this conflict between two of his staff, because honestly, those types of things can really sneak up on you out of nowhere and suddenly become hugely important at critical times and then theres nothing you can really do but hold on until you have a moment to take a break and make a change.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,955
    Not to mention Gilly rushed for over 1100 yards that year. First Gator to do so since C4 in 04.
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,955
    You have no idea about Muschamp's conviction. It's just another way for you to pathetically bash our coach once again.

You're basically describing EVERY coach in America when you say he's dependent on another to design an offense and gameplan; especially on the opposite side of the ball they are known for. Even Meyer, as good as he was, needed Strong and Mullen in order to win; the other difference was Meyer also had experience.

Either way, Muschamp could win 10 games this year and you and a few others will still piss and moan. Every good has it's bad; and you're ours!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    We are not going 0-4, so percentages are deceiving
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    "The other difference was Meyer also had experience".
    Good job...you managed to argue with my post while writing the same thing.
    For the record, Meyer designs his own style of spread offense and has it executed.
    And he hasn't missed a beat despite having neither Strong nor Mullen for many years.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  13. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    Thanks for the information, Gray...good to know.
  14. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    To be fair he is now in romper room-league.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    I certainly hope you're right, but I am now feeling some foreboding. I am NOT rootinig against Muschamp. Just starting to feel a bit wobbly about what we are going to do in 2014.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    What if Gray could only relay inside information on the basis of the source being held in anonymity..does not knowing who supplied the info make it false?? No. Gray has always brought solid posts and from the time I've been on this forum, solid information. There are few times we've disagreed but that doesn't make the information false. Keep up the good posts, Gray.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    We play six good teams next year, plus some teams that could give us problems (I'm thinking Vandy and Tennessee).
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    AZ, we handled Tennessee pretty easily last year, but look at their losses:

Oregon..........................11-2
    Florida.............................4-8
    Georgia...........................8-5

Then they beat USCe by two points - Spurrier's annual loss to a team he should have beaten.

Alabama.........................11-2
    Mizzou............................12-2
    Auburn............................12-2
    Vandy................................9-4

We beat them early in the year, when we were still relatively healthy. They return most of their players. I am not entirely comfortable that we will go to Neyland and thump them.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    The feud between pease and Davis certainly exacerbated the horrible situation we were in, but the primary reason for our struggles last year was massive attrition and injuries. Put another way, let the OC and OL coach fight a war on the 2000 Miami Hurricanes and it wouldn't have mattered, with all those future NFL players on it.

Experienced talent >>>> coaching
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Wormwood I know you love numbers but they return some players who suck. They lost most of their starters on the offensive and defensive line. Their prize OL JUCO recruit was a disappointment in the spring. They still dont know who there QB is going to be. If they play the starters from last year in the back 7 they will be slow (Sutton is good). Or they can play the true freshmen the best of the bunch didn't EE. They are going to suck.

People get all excited about recruiting classes but those kids just wont be ready at UT and UK. The team people are sleeping on at the bottom of the SEC east IMO is Vandy. I have got Vandy being better than UT and UK. That new Vandy staff is probably an upgrade and they get the gift of some nice recruiting class by Franklin.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014