As we stuggle with Football - I cannot wait for B-ball!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by PSGator66, Oct 31, 2013.

1. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    We have a loaded team and great recruiting class lined up so things are looking great for Billy D and the boys.
  2. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    I'm hoping the board doesn't get infected with football malcontents.
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    Looking forward to a nice run and a change from football's death march.

Hopefully, the usual naysayers will be patient and wait for the "full team" to mesh before they start with the inevitable grenade tossing. At least til after Thanksgiving.
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Sadly, that won't happen. While trying not to turn this into any sort of pissing match, the most vocal of the negative football fans do not believe injuries/suspensions should have any significant effect on a teams performance. :no:
  5. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Well, who knows, perhaps a miracle will occur and the Gator football team will win out.

Then there won't be as many disgruntled football fans interfering with those of us who are primarily roundball lovers.

However, a warning for all disgruntled football fans - if you think the Gator football team has had injuries and other problems in comparison with the basketball team right now, counting suspensions, not-yet eligible players and injuries, the football team would have had to lose 40 players, including all but 4 or 5 of the starters to equal where the basketball team is for the beginning of this season.

Anything this roundball team wins before mid November, and really, December (when the starting QB returns - Wilbekin) is gravy, because they will be playing so shorthanded. And, unlike the football team, which tends to have a very weak non-conference schedule (are FSU and occasionally Miami really competition - not usually), this year's roundball schedule is loaded with top National teams, so, the start of the season appears very tough and even more so given how depleted the team is.
  6. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    Just to add, even though the Gators may struggle early in the season, there's a basketball tournament open to 64 teams so several losses does not mean you can't still ultimately play for it all unlike the crappy BCS system that currently exists with college football (and will be expanded next season but only to a paltry 4 teams)! :) Go Gators!
  7. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Me too. I certainly enjoy UF football, but in 2005 and 2006, I was still looking forward to basketball as much as I am today.
  8. 2gator2

2gator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    One of the best aspects of being a Gator is we are one of the top programs in both sports year in and year out. Not many schools can say that. Enjoy football Bama, enjoy basketball Kentucky--because that's all you've got.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I don't get this point - and its made often. My hope is that fans of either program (any program) are able to find most of their enjoyment from things outside of sports altogether. No doubt Florida fans have experienced success in both sports. I just see it differently. If the college you root for has success in anything - that's a bonus.
  10. 2gator2

2gator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I'm referring to sports, not life in general. I certainly hope everyone has more fulfilling things going on personally than your school.

My point was our Gators are typically top notch in both sports so if football is having an off year it isn't AS deflating because we have a top 10 basketball squad to look forward to and vice versa. Kentucky doesn't have that.

Make sense?
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    This isn't fair, Kentucky has a great... I mean GREAT cheerleading program.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I must have been the one not making sense - because I never disagreed with anything you just said.

In the end, I'm still saying this is fairly irrelevant IF Kentucky fans (or any schools fans) are able to derive satisfaction from life in areas other than UK sports. Yes, Florida fans can look forward to being ranked in the "other" sport also. I'm not disagreeing. Just don't see its impact - and its not sour grapes. I've always said I wished Kentucky was more competitive in football.

I'm impressed gchamps0607 knew about the cheerleading program! haha
  13. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    I would caution about the first half of this bb season.

It would seem to me right now this is not even close to being a top 25 team and it would not surprise me if you see struggles and then as the conference schedule begins then things will look better.

Injuries, suspensions, waiting for people to qualify, new players trying to figure out roles and understanding the schemes - I just think there is too much other stuff going that may cause unexpected results from a fan/media perspective. On paper - yes - there is a very good potential for a very good season but that is just on paper assuming everybody is healthy and not on suspension. You certainly see it with Billy's comments and I don't disagree with his sentiments.

I'm not saying they could certainly look fine without any issues but I also won't discount the possibility that you could see them struggle and lose games for preseason, November, and December and then as said things get more known in terms of getting that full roster back relatively healthy to get that NCAA postseason look that most are expecting based upon what is on paper.
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    :grin:

I married a cheerleader and she always used to tell me how good Kentucky cheerleading was/is. lol
  15. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Football is football. Basketball is basketball. I'm excited about basketball because it's almost basketball season. I get to see the Gator cagers play and that makes me very happy.
  16. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +360
    OK, well Georgia leading the Gators 17-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and threatening again, having amassed almost 260 yards total offense in the 1st quarter alone, while the Gators have a total of 115.

Struggle is something of an understatement - it is beginning to look like this year's Gators, who have had the worst offense in the SEC since Muschamp first came on board with two different OCs, will not only have the worst offense, but may actually also have the worst defense in the SEC.

Now that is impressive. Zook is looking good right now.
  17. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +360

Now, yes, the 64 team tournament is a very nice thing, and I have been advocating a 16 team tournament in football since the beginning of time, but roughly half the championships are won by #1 seeded teams and almost all by #1, #2 or #3. So, the key is performing well once the SEC season is in swing and the Gators are more at full strength. Good play early this year would also help a lot, but without Wilbekin to lead the team, they are not very likely to do real well against the better teams on the early schedule being led by a Freshman PG, even one as good as Hill.
  18. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    YES! YES! YES! On to B-Ball season! Football season can't end soon enough. I only wish there was a B-Ball game on right now. So depressing over on Swamp Gas.
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    You sound just like the football malcontents on Swamp Gas.