As Good As A Loss

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorchamps0607, Mar 16, 2014.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,804
    Or at least I guarantee you thats how Billy will make it seem like. This game was the best thing to happen to us. I think this little scare will be a great motivator going forward into the tourney.

It couldn't have felt good for this team knowing other than good D, we had almost no control over the outcome on the final play.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. ufgatordad

ufgatordad VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    BD was actually pretty happy with our game per post talk
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,804
    Yeah he was but at some point in the film room there will be yelling ;)
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    UF and UK both needed a game like this. Focuses our guys before the tourney and gives UK some confidence.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Kind of felt like a loss. They need to fix the ft shooting immediately or we might not be so lucky going forward.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,111
    Felt like a loss? I guarantee you the coaches and kids didn't feel that way.

And I still find it ironic that everyone keeps talking about our free throw shooting costing us when we have a couple of bad games (which, I might add, did not result in a single loss). Earlier in the year, everyone was saying the same thing, then we went on a 21-game league win streak buttressed my much improved free throw shooting.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I didn't get to see semi or final live. I watched the second half of yesterday's game this morning and what stands out to me is how well this team responds to their opponent's best shot.

I don't consider winning a third straight game against a NCAA tournament team and conference rival "as good as a loss." I don't believe that some here truly understand how hard that is to do...and to do it to two teams on consecutive days!
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    Didn't feel like a loss to the team, but when they get back together, they will look at this game and realize how close they came to losing, how they let it get away and how they didn't lose the game.

First thing they will understand is if Frazier hadn't hit those two consecutive threes, the first half would have been an entirely different game. UF would not have been able to substitute as much and Kentucky wouldn't have been as focused on perimeter defense. Three pointers are a crap shoot. It is not our forte and we were lucky to hit those when we did. It put Kentucky back on their heals early. We could have just as easily missed those with Kentucky getting the rebounds and taking them down the court for points. Staring the game six points up is a lot different than starting four points behind.

Once the celebration is over, the team will look inside themselves and understand what they needed to do to put Kentucky, or a team like them, out of the game early. Then they will move on, one game at a time. I suspect it will be a lot of games.
  9. SJB612

SJB612 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Everyone says how tough it is to beat a quality team the times in one season. There is a reason. There pretty much isn't anything you are going to throw at them they haven't seen. I'm guessing BD is feeling pretty good about that win right now and just focusing on strategy to beat the next opponent.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,088
    Say what!? o_O

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I think this season would disagree. It was a weakness to start, but I would say over the second half of the season, its made us unbeatable.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,111
    And they were already doing so after the game. Young and Wilbekin both mentioned in the post-game presser that they didn't perform as well down the stretch in this game as they have in other close games. Unlike younger, less experienced players, they do a pretty good job of moving on to the next opponent and not living on their previous successes.
  13. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,329
    Plenty of room for improvement. We again showed that we could play at an elite level (first half minus the missed free throws) and we still got the win. Plenty of teachable moments.
  14. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    Yep. And while your instinct will be to keep doing what works, the other team tries to make adjustments to fix what wasn't working. I would be very interested to see what percentage of teams win all 3 match-ups when teams play at least 3 times.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,111
    One memory etched in my mind is the Larry Brown-Danny Manning Jayhawks beating Oklahoma in the NCAA final--after having lost to them twice already that year. It still stands out to me as the perfect example of why the NCAA tournament is so great and why it can be so cruel at the same time.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +480
    Three points may not be our forte...but they are damn sure an important part of our offense. Particularly against a team like Kentucky.

Beyond me how you can call those first two lucky. It is part of the offense we run. They were good looks. I think Billy would just chuckle and shake his head if he heard that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    Yeah, those were open threes.
  18. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Good points indeed. I will gladly take the win. Should have stressed that in my post.

I don't think my heart started working again until about 20 minutes after the game. We had a 15 pts lead with 10 minutes left, missed a couple easy baskets, missed 2 one and ones up by 1 point and they had the last shot to win the game. That is what I meant by my comment. Certainly was much better than losing, which would have ruined my night.

You have to admit though, that 7 for 17 at the ft line, including several missed one and ones, could hurt us if we are going to go far in this tournament.
  19. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Yup...if there's one thing that will trip us up in the Tourney, it will be poor free throw shooting. Hit our FTs and we win, period.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    I agree. I think this game was very important for Florida. These seniors have been through a lot, and have accomplished so much and been good for years now, but they have, at times, had issues in big games giving up substantial leads late.

To actually face another blown lead in the face, in a big game, but win? I think that helps a lot. I think this team is over the hump on that now, and it makes me feel better about their chances in the tournament this year.

They certainly won't be afraid of anyone at all.
    • Like Like x 2