Article-Florida St faces investigation after Winston case

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Apr 17, 2014.

1. garettk

garettk Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    The more this drags on, and it will for possibly a year or two I guess, the more I have random questions. And yes, these all assume some level of cover-up, and guilt on the part of Winston (which may or may not be the case)*
    1. Is Winston just a bad-apple, and not reflective of a 'do what you want' attitude in Tally
    2. Is this a continuation of Bowden era procedures that have continued to provide a sense of invincibility
    3. What's the closest instance UF has had in regards to this (player criminality)
    4. If guilty of coverup, would you rather FSU get the death penalty, or crippled to the point of irrelevance

*disclaimer notes that at the current time James Winston has not been found guilty of rape, any thoughts or suggestions in this post are the opinions of the poster and not reflective of the views of gatorcountry.com, the University of Florida, or any posters on this forum
  2. Melgators

Melgators New Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Sad. Hope his legacy works out for him. Too bad a young 20 year old woman was used by him to save his political career. Bet it would have been different if it had been his granddaughter.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    I guess this??
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/08/12/fla.wilson/

Then, of course, there is the Hernandez issue. But it appears that these allegations are following his days at UF.

Don't get me wrong, I think Winston is probably a slime ball. But we certainly aren't choir boys and we've had our share of issues - like any big football program.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,740
    1. I don't think there is any good way for people outside the program to understand what percentage of players on any campus have that "do what you want" (regardless of who gets hurt) attitude. But all schools have a mix of players that include some of those, and some guys who try to live right, and some guys who try to live right for the most part, but still make mistakes like most of us do - at that age in particular, and with alcohol or other drugs involved.

2. Almost certainly. Within the university and TPD.

3. IDK for sure, but I heard second hand stories of players in the late 70s, early 80s attacking and beating the chit out of other students. And getting away with it. If that was occurring, little doubt some rapes did to. I have no idea about more recent times where a player was thought to have gotten away with anything. I think AC Leonard had a domestic dispute with his girl friend where they both hit each other (if I remember the story correctly), and he was invited to find somewhere else to play.

4. When this occurred, FSU was on probation for an organized academic fraud scheme involving a lot of sports. If they are now shown to be intentionally protecting players from sexual assault charges while on probation, I think they should get sanctions similar to what Penn State initially received for the Sandusky issue.
  5. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    And don't forget the "evil gator-media" because of our school of journalism.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,578

The difference here is that the Hernandez case has zero to do with the Winston case though. It's amazing to me when nolies bring this up while defending Winston in the pretense of "Well, what about Hernandez at UF?"

I always ask them "what about Hernandez at UF? Was he even at UF when he shot and killed those people?" There-in lies the the argument. Hernandez was not at UF when he commtted those heinous crimes. He was not the central, pivotal star football player of a team in pursuit of a NC. He was not at UF, had his murder case ignored and placed on a back-burner by the GPD and then not charged by a local UF graduate/booster DA after committing his crimes even though the evidence was basically overwhelmingly incriminating.

Not trying to offend here, but Hernandez has nothing to do with Winston.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,329
    Further, the Gator Nation has largely disowned AH as much as it is possible to do.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    The other thing about this case is that Wilson was suspended a full year- A FULL YEAR. (If my memory serves.) That's a lot. If we had kicked him out then he would have gone to another school, sat out a year, and played there with no PR stain to that school.

So I don't think the Wilson incident is remotely close to covering up for a potential rapist who is the poster child for your program.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    I don't disagree with that one bit. In fact, you are spot on about that. I've had that same arguement several times with people. But I was only answering the question as it was posed by garettk. In reading his No. 3 statement, it is easiest to infer if we have had any similar issues with Gators from a criminal standpoint. Not anything dealing with a potential coverup or circumventing a suspension for the better of the team. In other words, I read it as "have we had any bad apples." And the answer to that is unquestionably yes.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    See my response to Gray above. It applies, I think.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    I don't quite know what to make of it. Since she is now cooperating and since there is no indication Winston is, he should be suspended.
    On the other hand, he may be co operating, with his eligibility at stake, and will be prepared to testify in any civil suit.
    Of course, she may have co operated from the beginning, this is simply the version by UFS.
    The bigger issue may be the failure of the AD to conduct its own investigation when the Associate learned of an issue that might effect Winstons eligibility. An allegation of rape is ultimately no different than an allegation of taking cash from booster.
  12. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,329
    Well, yes, except that one of these is merely an NCAA violation that affects the ethics of college football by putting a team at a competitive advantage over teams that follow the rules ... and the other is one of the worst crimes one human being can impose on another.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,740
    Don't recall seeing this update from Meggs get posted...

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20140422/NEWS/140422019/Meggs-reflects-Winston-case

Not sure there's much new. Meggs reiterated that TPD didn't do the basic things you do in an investigation. Said they should have known who was involved the day the rape was reported (because Casher was the only Chris on the football team). Should have gotten video from Pot Belly's. Should have contacted the cab driver. And when they finally contacted Winston they should have done it in person instead of calling by phone allowing him to easily evade questioning.

Of course, had they actually investigated, they may very well have gotten the video that Casher recorded, as well as other evidence from their phones.

Just a comedy of errors. Only not at all funny. And difficult to see as anything other than protecting the football players involved.

Meggs also claimed that he has a good handle on what actually happened but he won't be sharing his thoughts on that because they don't have enough information to bring charges.
  14. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20140422/NEWS/140422019/Meggs-reflects-Winston-case
    emphasis mine

Should I assume that "going forward" means prosecution? If that is the case then it sounds to me like Meggs believes Jameis is guilty and just lacks the evidence to prosecute. If he believed Jameis was innocent and "had evidence to support [his] theory" why would they be "going forward" at all? If Meggs believed Jameis was innocent and had the evidence to support his theory, then he would just lay out the facts of the case and put an end to it. There would be no place, no next step, to move forward to.

On another note, the failure of the police departments in investigating this case has been laid bare. Usually when such failure occurs there are inquiries and steps taken to ensure that such a failure does not repeat itself. I have not heard of any such steps being taken by the TPD. In fact, the NYT times article about this whole debacle makes it clear that such ineptitude in investigating rape is a common occurrence around FSU. I hope for the sake of all Floridians that Jameis' accuser brings this case to trial and hammers home every stupid decision made in the investigation. I hope that the court will then make the consequences severe enough that the police and officials will take rape accusations more seriously and take such actions as to investigate them properly.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,237
  16. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,329
    Nothing new or earth-shattering, but it's good to see more media outlets refusing to let this go just because of JW's athletic accomplishments.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +445
    Just watched an NBC news report on the push against sexual battery on college campuses by the Justice department. There will be a series of PSAs featuring famous faces. Jameis may have picked a really bad time to be a douchebag/rapist, this is getting to be a little high profile for comfort.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. chunks1

chunks1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +718
    tick tock tick tock
  19. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    Swampbabe, your becoming one of my faves.
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +445
    Aw, thanks. It's just that this subject hits close to home. I have a daughter the same age as this girl and I can't imagine what I would do if she was assaulted like this. You can't imagine how many times I have lectured both my girls about using your head when you're out and about. Although both my kids go/went to UF, I'm under no illusions that this could happen anywhere.
    • Agree Agree x 2