Article-Florida St faces investigation after Winston case

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Apr 17, 2014.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    It's pretty clear that the feds will sanction f$u somehow (they did piss-all for almost a year even after they knew about the allegation in Jan 2013, as the NYT report confirmed); as the Winston case was bungled from the start--and the NYT report hinted at other instances not being properly investigated either.

Bottom line: the longer the fed report takes and is, the more info they're seeking--and likely finding. This won't be something that'll happen immediately, but it'll linger over f$u until the report is made. That can't be good for them or their football program either.

The report itself won't accomplish too much in terms of punishing f$u. The feds could reduce or suspend federal funding via a settlement deal, as they normally would.

The real promise behind this is what type of public pressure gets put on the NCAA by the rest of the public/media to "do something" after that (similar to the Penn State situation). IF f$u didn't properly comply by federal academic rules and didn't properly investigate a rape complaint that affects the eligibility of their star football player, that's far, far stronger grounds for "lack of institutional control" since it directly affected an eligible football player (the biggest flaw in the NCAA's case against Penn State was that no football players were ever involved---just the coach doing criminal acts, some of which were on campus). This is far different--and a far better example for the NCAA to seize open IF the federal report is damning enough. Keep in mind, f$u was still on probation when this happened for what was the largest academic cheating scandal in NCAA history, so it could be a double-whammy. The media seems to be picking up the cause here--as a number of media outlets are picking up the story and asking questions. If and when the fed report comes out and we learn some juicy details, the media scrutiny will build to a crescendo.
  3. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +97
    What kills me about the whole thing is that the investigation rules at FSU actually state that the person being investigated doesn't have to participate in the investigation if they choose not too!!! This isn't just like taking the fifth amendment, they can just flat out say "no" I don't want to. Who in their right mind would be a part of their own investigation if they were given this choice? Now there is a second girl coming out saying that she needed counseling after a romp with him? This guy is a piece of ish and he will get his in hell for sure, if not here on earth when he finally is broke and poor after a failed NFL career or if he finally does get popped for illegal doings. I hope FSU goes down with him too for trying to cover it up as well. This wasn't them covering up a night of underage drinking or maybe a fight or something, this was a violent crime that will affect lives forever.
    Screw 'Em all I have no love for any of them
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    That's ok the florida tax payers will pick up the shortfall just like when they built their erector set stadium
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144

Lol, my friend.......now you see what we have had to endure for years from this "Institution of higher learning" They are the biggest weasels out there and will do anything for football. Anything.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    I think you are misreading this.
    The investigation does not require the participation of the alleged perpetrator.
    It anticipates that a rapist will not give a statement and allows the university to proceed forward.
    Otherwise, you are not in compliance with title IX.
    Which, again, is why when Winston took the fifth they should have interviewed the victim and then suspended Winston until he cooperated.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Coupla threads here on GC could save them feds a lot of time and a lot of money.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +862

UFLAW81, please school me up real quick on this. I'm trying to follow this. Is the following accurate?

Is another lingering question "Did FSU make a reasonable effort to assist the potential rape victim in formalizing this complaint?" Is that another item the Federal Investiagion will attempt to uncover? The reason I ask is because the Associate Athletic Director was made aware of the TPD's investigation about a month or so after the incident. We have learned that the incident was reported to TPD and therefore the next step would have been for the Associate AD to alert FSU officials who are repsonsible for enforcing Title IX. That should have spurred the proper officials at FSU to be proactive in monitoring the case with TPD once it was learned that the possible victim was interested in going forward with the case.
    The reason I mention this is because in the FSU response to the Times article stated that FSU could not proceed with a university Title IX investigation unless the victim consented to such an investigation per confidentiality protocol.

Pardon my ignorance, but this thing has several layers and I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all of them. This is one of the layers that I think is fairly important to the federal case.
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    I mentioned this in another thread, but one if the biggest effects of the federal case is that it does much of the investigative work for the seemingly inevitable civil case.
    If it's bad look for all parties to settle with her.
  10. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    If I am right there hasn't ever been a time the feds withheld money from a school. Not sure such a case as this occurred but a big part of me thinks forced sex university only gets a hand slap. Perhaps the only good news is that a lot of people are seeing what a disgrace and piece of crap sow is and what a piece of _ _ _ _ the TPD is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. thedude60

thedude60 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Nothing in the situation was ever intended to be handled with any integrity, but who expected it to be. 1/2 ass u cannot weezel out of this as the rules of process and protocol were laughed at. The feds, and the NCAA do not take lightly to this stonewalling and the attitude off F you. Heavy sanctions , USC style will hit with a hammer, and I predict , the idiots will throw the slim ball squinter under the bus to save face. This ain't Reggie Bush and a house. this is RAPE,coverup, stonewalling by an entire legal system in our sesspool of a state capital. Don't think they are even arrogant enough to ever let the rapist on his field of sleaze again..
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    IMHO FSU will receive something more than a slap on the hand given all this publicity. Whether or not it is the loss of receive is up for debate. But having lowered the boom on Penn State seems to have indicated a tougher stance by the NCAA and perhaps the feds. God knows the good old boys at sow think its just a bump in the road.
  13. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
  14. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +295
    [quote="gatorev12, post: 7336134, member: 13329"
    "... Keep in mind, f$u was still on probation when this happened for what was the largest academic cheating scandal in NCAA history, so it could be a double-whammy.
    The media seems to be picking up the cause here--as a number of media outlets are picking up the story and asking questions. If and when the fed report comes out and we learn some juicy details, the media scrutiny will build to a crescendo.
    [/quote]

And this is what I have been saying for years now. FSU has a repeated, long-term history (decades) of cheating and then, covering up their deeds.
    When DID the, "largest academic cheating scandal in NCAA history" occur?
    Three year ago.
    And now... they just continue onward with this mess.
    They just don't care.
    And what is very sad, is... the school, the fans, the community does not seem to care either.

I said three years ago that if FSU is not hammered because of their academic scandal... then it will just be a matter of time before something else floats to the surface.
    Well... guess what...
    It floated.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    Just watch, espn or the likes will flash JW smile with each win and act as if nothing happened. Will not watch espn, or any talking head that fawns over this guy. This I do know, unless JW repents and turns his life around with Christ, he will NOT get away with this. He will face the ultimate Judge, he will not get away with this nor will those who sought to cover this up.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. stevenc

stevenc New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    It's really disturbing how much you want a girl to have been raped so it hurts fsu in some way.
    • Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 2
  17. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    Another Nolie avenging angel. My goodness, you folks are pathetic. Keep whistling past the graveyard.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    It's really disturbing how you and FSU nation are so quick to dismiss these rape accusations so it doesn't hurt FSU and your program is exposed for the joke that it is.
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    I don't want anyone to have suffered a violent act against their will. She's claiming it happened, has stuck by her story, and there's evidence that shows a rough sexual encounter occurred that evening.

From there, it's out of her hands. The police have a job to do--as does the university. When they fail to do their jobs, that's quite clearly denying justice to a woman who is seeking it. This isn't a "vast Gator conspiracy" to bash f$u--these are major new outlets investigating the story and reporting on the facts. It isn't up for debate the timeline of the accusations and the failure to follow established protocols by both the police and f$u. Do you honestly think that if f$u opened an investigation into the matter and concluded that Winston was innocent, they wouldn't be throwing that out there right this second? I realize f$u is a second-rate school to begin with, but good Lord man, think! If they had an alibi that they did their jobs, they'd be shouting it from the heavens right now. The Feds are investigating for a reason and it has nothing to do with posters on Gator Country pointing out the shambolic "investigation" from both the tpd and f$u.

I don't like many things about f$u, it's true. But I dislike miscarriages of justice even more. And it's disgusting the way the f$u fanbase has completely overlooked the damning reports that have come out from multiple sources that have come to the inescapable conclusion that: neither the university or the police dept properly followed standard investigation procedure.
    • Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  20. chunks1

chunks1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    About as disturbing as the rush to cover that im sure you have supported in some way. Glad you signed up to get that tidbit off of your chest. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1