Article by Carlos Alvarez re: his thoughts

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Nov 15, 2013.

1. DowntownGator

DowntownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Excellent!

Carlos Alvarez is truly a great Ambassador to the Gator Nation.

While I respectfully disagree that Muschamp is the guy, everything else he said about life, sportsmanship (including fans), and the Gator universe is spot on.
  2. Zepgator

Zepgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    I've never doubted how hard the coaches work - that really isn't the issue. The issue is 'how' they coach and in my eyes, they are not coaching well. We didn't have near the injuries vs Miami and look at how we played. We are not disciplined at all, way too many penalties, terrible calls, bad scouting, poor preparation, etc.. I can appreciate the positive vibe he is trying to send out writing that article but the reality is, we have more problems than just bad luck and a positive outlook will not change them.
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    I apologize for my deleted post. It was in poor taste. Go Gators!
  4. reptilenation

reptilenation Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Had to wake my son up to read this article. He's been spoiled over his brief time being a huge Gator fan. His first game was our loss to Ole Miss but he did spend his tenth birthday in Miami at Championship Game. He and I spent the whole week there having a blast. That's for sharing that great article.
  5. socalg8r

socalg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Fantastic.

Go Gators!
  6. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    Give it a rest. There are a dozen other threads where you can repeat what all the other gloomy 'fans' are saying over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,792
    There is a place for throwback, "Leave it to Beaver" coaching philosophy and values in major collegiate sports, where coaches believe that say, playing for the Gators is a privilege, and that coaching is an opportunity for instilling trancendent values in the developing young men and women to help them in life, that have meaning far beyond a W or L, or lighting up the scoreboard with a top ten play.

In other words, good coaches use the sport for coaching up something greater than the sport itself or the opportunity to play professional sports, because that is more important - to some coaches - than W or L, or what the fans think.

Example of one of ours (BD):

8. ironhead1

ironhead1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +238
    Very nice article
    Motivational.....
    Sorely needed at this time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with nostalgia and lessons learned.

I worked with a wonderful person and outstanding individual that was the starting guard on that team in 1969

We had many conversations about Gator football and fans in general.

I am very comfortable with my opinions today,regarding the current staff.
  9. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    But then we have to hear how our conspicuous absence from this thread means we are ashamed. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Great article by Alvarez. Doesn't mean we need to accept and should keep this staff.

"Inept" and "fragile" are two words our HC has used describe the team, the third year into his tenure. Who's fault is that???
  10. Zepgator

Zepgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    You know, just because I write my opinion and you disagree with it doesn't mean I am not a fan. I really don't appreciate that. You many not like what I say and I can handle that but to insinuate that I am not a fan is out of line.
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    No but the article is hinting at supporting the current staff at least while they are still Gators and till which they are replaced if that were to happen. Another words negativity is a stronger impact than you think.
  12. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    It's hard to support a staff that produces the results this staff has and has described the team as "inept" and "fragile", WM's words, not mine.

I support the players. I think they deserve a better HC to lead them.
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    Exactly. Just because we say that we are disappointed in the continued lack or performance by the offense or the lack of on-field discipline by the players, or the lack of preparation for the first half of games, doesn't mean we aren't true fans. We obviously still watch and support the team, but voicing displeasure about how things are going doesn't exclude us from being a fan.
  14. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    This IS the point, for some reason a lot don't get it.

Maybe the concept is too complex?

Unless something unforeseen happens, Champ will be here next year, This team has been decimated by injuries, but he still must clearly get the nose pointed up in 2014 or all bets are off. It's not rocket science.
    What rational is used to argue, that incessant sniveling this year does nothing but hurt the program and the kids that play or want to play for the Gators?

In the classic line of Judge Smails: "Well, we're waiting"
    [​IMG]
  15. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    Agreed! I teared up reading it.
  16. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Great read ... Great player, great person
  17. G8ers1

G8ers1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Great article! Go Gators!
  18. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    Oh, gosh no, don't misunderstand me. I have no doubt you are one of the many spoiled and annoying fans who expect people you've never met to perform to your expectations every week because they are paid (or have a scholarship) to a school you either went to or just like for some reason. No question about it, you are indeed a fan.

What you fail to understand is that I am ALSO a fan, and I go to every game win or lose, rain or shine, and unfortunately there is a rule that won't allow me to beat the living crap out of fans who boo the team while I'm cheering for the team. You are welcome to start thread after thread explaining your theories on why Will Muschamp should be fired, or Brent Pease is a failure of a human being, but can you possibly NOT pollute the one single thread on GatorCountry that isn't just a freaking whine fest? For the love of God you have the entire board to complain and you just have to go on the one thread that has some positivity in it?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Skittlebrau

Skittlebrau Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Can all of us positive fans (aka sunshine pumpers) possibly be right that all of the nonstop negativity on here recently from a small but vocal group of people are doing harm and the bidding of rival teams? We can run off some trolls but the other supposed fans will hopefully see the light and stifle their own personal feelings 'superiority' and rally behind the team.

I think we should all quote various lines from Carlos in any reply to the myriad of pointless negative threads.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Zepgator

Zepgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    I did not fail to understand that you are a fan, that never entered my mind. I bet you are a great fan and I mean that sincerely. I am also a great fan - I am a lifetime member of the Alumni Assc and have donated a lot (not a ton, but a lot) of money to the university. I was a freshman in 1979 and went to every game during our 0-10-1 year and supported the team. I don't go by your rules on what I have to write and under what post. If you disagree with what I have to say, that's cool - seriously. Funny how someone who wants to keep something positive results to personal attacks and mentions physically assaulting someone that voices disapproval in his presence, which is a crime.