Around College Football...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Apr 14, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Some CFB stuff from around the net, some good reading:

SEC Coaches Rankings
    Athlon Sports has rated the SEC coaches from top to bottom. I'm not sure of the critera used to rank each coach so take that into consideration.
    1. Nick Saban - Alabama (79-15) *170-57-1 Overall
    2. Steve Spurrier - South Carolina (77-39) *219-79-2
    3. Gus Malzahn - Auburn (12-2) *21-5
    4. Mark Richt - Georgia (126-45) *Same
    5. Les Miles - LSU (95-24) *123-45
    6. Gary Pinkel - Missouri (102-63) 175-100-3
    7. Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M (20-6) *55-23
    8. Hugh Freeze - Ole Miss (15-11) *45-18
    9. Dan Mullen - Miss State (36-28) Same
    10. Butch Jones - Tennessee (5-7) *55-34
    11. Will Muschamp - Florida (22-16) * Same
    12. Bret Bielema - Arkansas (3-9) *71-33
    13. Mark Stoops - Kentucky (2-10) *Same
    14. Derek Mason - Vanderbilt (First Season)

---------------------------

2014 SEC Coaches Salaries
    1. Nick Saban ($7.3 million) Alabama
    2. Kevin Sumlin ($5.0) Texas A&M
    3. Les Miles ($4.5) LSU
    4. Steve Spurrier ($4.0) South Carolina
    4. Gus Malzahn ($4.0) Auburn
    6. Mark Richt ($3.4) Georgia
    7. Gary Pinkel ($3.25) Missouri
    8. Hugh Freeze ($3.2) Ole Miss
    8. Dan Mullen ($3.2) Mississippi St.
    8. Butch Jones ($3.2) Tennessee
    11. Will Muschamp ($3.0) Florida
    11. Bret Bielema ($3.0) Arkansas
    12. Mark Stoops ($2.25) Kentucky
    12. Derek Mason ($2.2) Vanderbilt

---------------------------

2014 Highest Paid Coaches In Other Conferences
    Big 12...Charlie Strong ($5.0 million) Texas
    Big 10...Urban Meyer ($4.8) Ohio State
    ACC...Jimbo Fisher ($4.0) Florida
    Ind....Brian Kelly ($4.0) Notre Dame
    Pac 12...Chris Peterson $3.4) Washington
    AAC...George O'Leary ($2.0) Central Florida
    MWC...Bronco Mendenhall ($2.0) BYU
    CUSA...Ruffin McNeil ($1.25) East Carolina
    SunBelt...Mark Hudspeth ($825,000) Louisiana Lafayette

----------------------------

2014 SEC Non-Conference Schedules
    EAST
    Georgia: Clemson, Troy, Charleston Southern, Georgia Tech
    Florida: Idaho, Eastern Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, Florida State
    Missouri: South Dakota State, Toledo, Central Florida, Indiana
    S. Carolina: East Carolina, Furman, South Alabama, Clemson
    Tennessee: Utah State, Arkansas State, Oklahoma, Chattanooga
    Kentucky: UT Martin, Ohio, ULM, Louisville
    Vanderbilt: Temple, UMass, Charleston Southern, Old Dominion
    WEST
    Alabama: West Virginia, FAU, Southern Miss, Western Carolina
    Auburn: San Jose State, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Samford
    LSU: Wisconsin, Sam Houston State, ULM, New Mexico State
    Arkansas: Nichols State, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, UAB
    Texas A&M: Lamar, Rice, SMU, ULM
    Ole Miss: Boise State, Louisiana, Memphis, Presbyterian
    Miss State: Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, UT Martin

------------------------------

Alabama
    Blake Sims remains in control of Alabama's quarterback competition. The 6-0, 205 pound senior put together another strong performance Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium during the second spring scrimmage. He completed 24 of 39 passes for 288 yards and three touchdowns. Redshirt freshman Cooper Bateman emerged as a solid No. 2 quarterback. He's getting the bulk of the work behind Sims. Bateman, from Utah, completed 16 of 31 for 160 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore Alec Morris (Texas) completed 4 of 7 for 90 yards and a touchdown. The running game was sluggish. Altee Tenpenny led with 15 carries for 39 yards. Tyren Jones rushed 10 times for 34 yards and Kenyan Drake had four carries for 19 yards. Starter T.J. Yeldon and backup Derrick Henry were not among the leaders reported but did participate. Receiver Amari Cooper had another big day with nine catches for 97 yards and a touchdown. Chris Black had six catches for 89 yards. Both Cooper and Black have great speed and really good hands. They will give D-backs fits this season. On defense, linebacker Trey DePriest was the leader with six tackles and a forced fumble. Defensive lineman Jarran Reed had five tackles and a pass breakup. The defensive highlight was a 35-yard fumble return for a touchdown by cornerback Cyrus Jones. No injuries were reported but a number of players are starting to get dinked up. Alabama will practice Tuesday and Thursday, and the A-Day game will conclude spring drills Saturday at 1 p.m.

-----------------------------------

Auburn
    The Tigers did not scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, their 12th practice of the spring, but did work on 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 drills. The emphasis of the scrimmage was a lot of third down work plus some red zone situations. Next Saturday's A-Day game will be exactly like last year's, with the team split into two squads, likely the first and second teams with some players flipping sides for more reps. Auburn will hold its regular Tuesday and Thursday practices this week before concluding spring with A-Day. The coaches feel its really important to grade the scrimmage, to come back and try to get positive corrections. With five weeks to spread out the practices this year, rather than four last year, Malzahn has spaced out his practices for getting the best possible results.

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is getting a big raise along with all Auburn assistant coaches. Lashlee is seeing the biggest jump in base salary, from $350,000 in 2013 to $600,000. A finalist for the Broyles Award, given to the top assistant coach in college football, Lashlee helped engineer the nation's best rushing offense last year. As one of the game's youngest offensive coordinators, Lashlee, 30, was the 40th highest paid assistant in the SEC last year. Good move by Auburn, other schools have taken notice of the young coordinator.

----------------------------------------

SEC All-Time Bowl Appearances
    1. Alabama 61 (leads nation)
    2. Georgia 49
    2. Tennessee 49
    4. LSU 45
    5. Florida 40
    6. Arkansas 39
    SEC All-Time Bowl Wins
    1. Alabama 35 (leads nation)
    2. Georgia 26
    3. Tennessee 25
    4. LSU 23
    4. Ole Miss 23
    6. Auburn 22
    7. Florida 20

For the gamblers here:

- Did you know Auburn was 12-2 against the spread during the 2013 season. The Tigers were 5-0 ATS on the road.

- Ole Miss is just 3-10 against the spread verses Vanderbilt the last 13 games?

- Florida is 26-6-2 against the spread verses Tennessee (6-3-1), Kentucky (7-0), Arkansas (8-1) and LSU (5-2-1) the last 34 games playing the schools.

- Alabama has a 16-4 against the spread mark against Tennessee (7-1), Arkansas (5-1) and Mississippi State (4-2) their past twenty games.

- Kentucky has a 5-23 against the spread record against Florida (1-7), South Carolina (3-6), Mississippi State (1-4) and Tennessee (1-6) the past few years.

Other stuff:

- Alabama offered Old Dominion $1.3 million to schedule a game during the 2015 season and was turned down.

- Missouri's football and men's basketball combined to make up 89% of the ticket sale revenue the Missouri athletic department reported in 2013.

- Kentucky: The NCAA has finalized attendance figures for the 2013 football season, show that Kentucky had the second largest increase in the nation. The Wildcats averaged 59,472 in attendance per game last season, an increase of 9,781 from the previous season. Only Washington registered a larger per-game increase. The national average for home attendance was 45,192 for all games in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision. Overall, Kentucky ranked 29th in the nation in average attendance per game.
    Kentucky's Board of Trustees have approved a $45 million project to build a new football training facility adjacent to Commonwealth Stadium and the Nutter Field House. The project, which will be constructed with private funds, will build a new traing facility along with two practice fields and a drill area behind the east endzone of Commonwealth Stadium. The two story facility will include administrative offices, locker spaces, team meeting areas, training areas, weight room, plus others. Construction will begin when plans are finalized with a goal of completion prior to the 2016 season.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Arkansas State auctioned the chance to coach the team in the spring game on eBay.

Nick Bhardwaj, the founder and CEO of Beyond Games, a developer of mobile games based out of San Francisco. According to the terms of the ebay auction, he will get the chance to coach Arkansas State for the entire spring game, provide the pregame and halftime speech to the team and a whole lot more. Bhardwaj will get to call the shots on big plays. The winning bid was $11,700.

------------------------------

Interesting article from the Oregonian regarding Luke Del Rio's transfer from Alabama to Oregon State:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/04/oregon_state_beavers_quarterba_3.html

Del Rio said coaches (at Alabama) also told him the program would put him on scholarship at the end of the season. Yet when the quarterback sat down with head coach Nick Saban this past winter, Del Rio got a different answer.
    “(Saban) said, ‘We’re not ready to make that commitment yet from a business perspective,’” Del Rio recalled. “He said if he had the numbers, then he would have done it. And I respected that.
    “But I sort of saw the writing on the wall, and I left. I didn’t know who would still be interested.”
  3. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Ghost,

Your great posts above deserve a response. Here are a few tidbits about FSU to whom it may concern.

QB: FSU needs a credible backup for Jameis Winston. The contenders are SO Sean MCQuire 63 215 and RFR John Franklin 60 175. Franklin is quick, throws with good accuracy and zip, but is really thin looking in pads. McQuire wasn't nationally recruited but Jimbo trusts him if he is needed. Obviously, no one in G&G hopes McQuire is needed for anything as there would be a huge drop off if he is on the field. However, JW didn't look great in the Spring Game and now people are wondering whether break out fame, the H trophy and playing baseball has gotten to him some. Will he be as outstanding without Benjamin and Shaw? It is a valid concern for FSU heading into 2014.

RB: SN 61 225 Karlos Williams could have a huge year running and catching and there is good buzz about FR Mario Pender a 4-star recruit out of I forgot, Ft. Myers or somewhere, I think. Ryan Greene 510 195 is in the mix for PT. Pender supposedly is a break away threat who catches out of the back field even better than Williams. Williams could challenge Sammie Smith's single season rushing record although most Jimbo watchers expect a RB by committee approach.

OL: 4 out of 5 starters are back. FSU just needs a C. The depth could be much better than last year though with 2-3 guys pushing for PT. RFR Kareem Aye is making a name for himself this spring. I'll get his ht/wt not that it matters he is well over 3 bills it seems everyone is now days.

WR: Banjamin and Shaw are gone but slick Rashad Greene is back for his final year. He could leave FSU as FSU's all-time career yardage leader which is quite an accomplishment. He is not a real physical guy and he got a lot of his yards in space creating by the fear of the freakishly talented and soon to be wealthy Benjamin. Shaw, meanwhile, might not even get drafted but will make some NFL team's roster if he gets a shot. Who will step up to replace Benjamin and Shaw? To be continued in a few minutes. Intrique. Suspence. Tension. Are they building? I hope so I'll be right back. You might want to get some chips.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    Also around college football, Bo Pelini's cat

5. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I'm back.

WR: Who will replace Benjamin and Shaw? No one. JW may not have as good of numbers in year 2 and I doubt he stays for year 3 but FSU will make the playoffs. FSU is one of the few programs on earth that can stand up the mighty SEC. The contenders are a bunch of guys you've never heard of and LaVontae WhitField the tiny sprinter from Jones High in Orlando that returned a K to the house against Aub, he is a slot guy, and a RFR named Isaih Jones 64 200 who could develop into a great player. But, to me, it looks like Greene will get double covered all year and JW will need to throw to O'Leary and the backs to make a living.

DL: Big Tim Jurnigan is gone. There are plenty of talented bodies to replace him. FSU won't lose much on the DL. There isn't a true great speed rushing DE unless Chris Casher surprises me or the star of the Spring game Ro Hoskins develops. Hoskins is playing that DE/OLB role that Christian Jones had last year (with not much productivity actually). One key player is DT Eddie Goldman who, I am hearing, might be ready to get in shape and start making plays. The light might have come on for EG a former 5-star recruit.

LB: Telvin Smith will be sorely missed. He was the glue that held the defense together last year. I saw parts of FSU's Spring game on TV and I saw some athletic talented guys but none of them appeared ready yet to give FSU's D what Smith did last year. Another former 5-star recruit, Mathwe Thomas, a kid from the mean streets of Miami, could be the new Smith.

DB: Loaded.

FSU will be in the final 4 again.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,042
    FSU will not be there! They'll lose two games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ACCecil

Ratings Received:
    +392
    And so it begins ....
    • Like Like x 1
  8. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Cecil, the biggest thing w/ FSU is the schedule. They've recruited very, very well so we know there's talent there. The schedule is certainly harder than last year.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,831
    Also, I think this issue with Winston could become a real distraction.

This NYT article was far more pointed than anything that came out last season, and the Federal investigation into the university could get traction as well.

Those things are both outside of local control... completely unlike the situation with TPD and the university last season.

But on its face, just looking at the talent and experience the Noles have, and the relatively easy path thru the ACC and a weaker Gator team (based on last year) than we've traditionally had, I think it is reasonable to project them in the playoff this year.
  10. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    I would gladly trade FSUs schedule with ours any day.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Not I.

I love our rivals and the bigtime atmosphere.
  12. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Uh, well, except that's really not a response to his posts. But carry on...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    Cecil - what the heck did the OP have to do with FSU? :rolleyes:

As for the SEC coaches, Switch Sumlin and Richt. Move Bielema down to 13 and I think it's about right.
  14. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +799