Are We Tipping Our Plays?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by atlantagator86, Oct 23, 2013.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    I don't want this to turn into a blame game or pissing match and I'm not criticizing our OC, players or anybody else, but I finally watched the Mizzou game today for the first time and the first thing I noticed, very early on, is that the Mizzou defense seemed to know exactly what was coming.

Not taking away from how well the Mizzou players played, or how poorly we played, but it looked to me like more than that, almost like their players were tipped off as to exactly what was coming.

Maybe it's just predictability, poor player effort, horrible play calling (as most would suggest), or maybe we don't have the talent level, but I don't think so. I think it's more than that. Mizzou is good but they aren't that good.

We've heard from other teams in the past, especially after losses, that they knew our signals and audibles and knew exactly what was coming. That looked like the case to me against Mizzou. Every single player on the Mizzou defense seemed to know exactly what was coming and swarmed to the point of attack.

So my question for some of the guys here with coaching experience is if this is the case how do we fix it? Is it as simple as changing signals or tendencies? If they've got somebody stealing our signals, can we prevent that?
  2. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    I don't know about them knowing our plays, but I know they knew when we were going to snap it. They figured out the silent count by catching the guard touch the center before every snap, they would wait about 1 count and then they would rush the line. That is the reason that Sams the DE for Mizzou was living in our backfield.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Yes with the damn wildcat. Either Burton keeps or pitches to the RB. Only two players need to be accounted for because Burton will never pass.
  4. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I think everyone could tell what play was coming. This whole season has been so predictable.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I know we've all been saying how predictable we have been all year but I agree that it was at a whole new level this game.

The way Murphy was getting swarmed by defenders constantly reminded me of playing Tecmo Bowl when the defense would pick your play there was literally no escape from an automatic 5 yard loss. Kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0a9FTpUig

We are losing games during the coaches film sessions prior to Saturdays and then we are losing plays over and over with what is happening pre-snap. Not sure how you don't attribute that to getting out-coached.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    Tecmo bowl! Ha... Used to kill it... Jerry rice and Bo Jackson, unstoppable.
  7. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    We were definitely tipping our plays. I am no football expert and I can predict about 85% of our plays before we run them. I would imagine that a good coaching staff can do the exact same thing.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I remember last year a few SEC coaches said Florida's offense was the hardest to prepare for, with regards to Pease and his multiple offense.

What happened?
  9. BurnKarma

BurnKarma Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    When Trey Burton takes the snap I have no idea what play they are going run. :)
  10. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +911
    The other teams study tendencies and trends. They study every play run from every game this year and last year. They look at every formatio, pre motion and post motion. They know every play run out of every formation and how many times. When you don't run but a handful of plays each game, out of a handful of formations, they are easy to gameplan for.

Seriously, when you run the ball 72% of timeon 1st down, how hard is it to figure out? This year has been alot few formations used than last year.

If UF opened the UGA game with a hitch and go or a deep post on the 1st play, out of it's normal 1st down run formation Tood Grantham might piss his pants before jumping out of the booth. Hide and watch, if UF lines up in it's normal 1st down formation, UGA will have at least 8 men in the box.
  11. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    When Mizzou lined up in the Pistol, they were telling everyone they were going to run. Somehow we did not pick up on that though.
  12. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    They don't have to tip off what they are going to do. They run the same plays over and over so it's obvious to our opponents what is coming. If was a D coordinator coaching against us, I'd tell my line and linebackers that as soon as our QB acts in any way like he might pass, everyone just run at him because the Oline isn't going to slow them down long enough for the QB to make a play. 3rd and long, I'd blitz us every time. I think a big weapon, potentially, is to have Burton throw from the Wildcat. It would surprise not only the defense, but everyone watching.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,977
    This is what baffled me. I could see exactly what they were going to do on offense, yet our defense looked lost in figuring it out. Same thing when we were on offense we looked predictable, only they figured out how to stop us. So that has to be coaching, or lack thereof.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Coachspeak.
  15. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Yes, we are saving Burton's Wildcat pass for FSU to get an early lead then we will run for 3 downs and out the rest of the game. FSU's Winston is going to prove he deserves his accolades. I wonder what they told him when they were recruiting him. Did we ever think he was a good QB?
    I think we will keep it close for a qtr. then the flood gates will open. We will probably get at least 5 penalties on defensive backs holding their receivers.
  16. trufloridagator

trufloridagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Yes this is basically it. It's not that we're tipping the exact play, it's that our formations and calls are not able to combat a blitz or attack a weak spot in the defense. We don't use max protection or multiple routes for our backs. We run screens when the DBs are up close and not run them when there safeties are in tight and we could bust one. Our only creative play has been the screen to a back that doesn't really work with our tackle/qb/rb combo

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yes and no.

Look at last year's offense - we ran a ton out of the gun/spread, we ran the diamond formation, we ran an I with backfield protection/lead blocking.

We've gone one-note. Nobody would need our plays to be aware of the two to three possibilities.
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,417
    I think its much more simple than that..... they watched the lsu game and saw we cant block on the los. Jam the recievers get to the qb in 3 sec or less add a little water and bam insta-sacs. Real hard to do anything from your back.
  19. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    Missouri is that good, give them credit. They lead the SEC in sacks, interceptions and the all important TO margin per game. They are the 3rd least penalized team, which to me, means they play smart, disciplined football. Combine that with an effective offense with huge receivers and they could be the team to stop Bama's run.
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    In fairness we scored our only offensive touchdown in 2 weeks out the wildcat. It's not the worst thing in the world when Burton actually has options and uses them.

Also given the previous results, I'm not so sure Burton passing the ball is a good play, of course this is not a positive in favor of the wildcat.