Are we sure our defense is "nasty"

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,012
    All I know is having a punishing defense is a whole lot of enjoyment.

Would I like to see an offense that racks up huge points?

Of course - but not if it compromises our punishing defense.

I'm ready to see us PUNISH PUNISH and yet PUNISH some more.

:beat::beat::beat::beat::beat::beat::beat:
  2. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Watching the second half of the replay last night... (I was in the desert for the opening weekend of CFB)

I was concerned with the way Roberson seemed to be getting beat on routes to the inside of the field. If who I assumed was our best cover corner, is getting beat in man coverage as consistently as he was in what limited time I saw. Its going to be a long season...
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    what plays are you talking about? Here is every defensive play from the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qdTZs9CSc
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,202
    Again, I support ALL Gator coaches. I never whine and cry about getting them fired when we struggle. I realize that 10 win seasons are not our Divine Right, that success and struggle are cyclical, and also realize that there are MANY things that can occur to contribute to a poor season by Florida's standards, that the coach has zero control over.

I was overjoyed at our 11-2 season last year, but I am not so moronic as to believe that that 11-2 team was not among our strongest teams. Indeed, among our teams with two or fewer losses, it was probably among our weakest, if not the weakest, going back to 1969 with Reaves and Alvarez. That does not mean I wasn't proud of the Gators, and especially of Coach Muschamp and his staff. They made it work, and with the exception of the Georgia and Louisville games, they rose to the occasion.

My favorite MNC team was the 2006 Gators because they had the toughest schedule among our MNC winners, the offense was hamstrung by a system that was incompatible with our quarterback, and that every game against a good team seemed to be a struggle. But like the 2012 team, that 2006 team refused to lose. They showed tons of heart and guts to rise above it all and whip Ohio State into the dust after being told for over a month they had no business being on the field with the Bucknuts.

So I am the LAST Gator here that would whine that we don't have Spurrier-type offenses. Spurrier himself doesn't have Spurrier-type offenses anymore. we are winning games like we did in the mid-1980s, and as a 1980s Gator, I love it. I am simply not blind to the realities.
  5. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Nor am I blind to realities, we have and had roster issues, I do not see a structural or systemic issue beyond that, you I think do, what are they in or mind?
  6. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Have watched Gators since 1962 when I was 15 yrs old. Seen it all. The running game is fine with me..I love it. You win games with your OL & DL...everything else is window dresssing for the most part.

If someone cant see how much speed we have on defense or how athletic we are, then my diatribe is lost on them. Our DL is a lot better than folks realize and usually returning starter numbers means a lot...but we have been subbing DL a lot in Booms defense, We actually have 11 DL, if you count Powell as someone who will play with his hands on the ground at times. Thats counting incoming frosh and of course one may be destined to r/s.

LB ditto...we have players who have a lot of snaps under their belts...like Kitchens, Ball and guys like Taylor, Morrison & Powell...when he plays as OLB are very very good athletes and we have a number of frosh who will gain more snaps as the season goes on.

Our riches in the secondary are shameful...loaded. Purifoy, Watkins, Riggs, Roberson, Gorman, Maye, Poole & Hargraves3 are gonna give wrs nightmares. s long as they are motivated this unit is the best in the country....add Marcell Harris and others...its a group that is solid.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FormerPoster

FormerPoster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    i completely agree, i'll even stretch as far to say it'll be better than next years.
  8. 1gatorbear

1gatorbear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    We will have a better idea what we look like "up the gut" after Duke Johnson.
  9. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398
    Giving up 50 yards rushing without our starting MLB is a pretty good indication we are not weak up front. Easley was very disruptive and Orr got a great push up the middle on a very good center. Miami will run, throw and catch better than Toledo. I'm hoping they don't block much better. Hope our back 7 wraps up instead of trying for the big boo-yah.
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    You make good points throughout. There is absolutely no comparison between 2007 and 2013 in regards to experience. You have to look deeper than numbers. That 2006 defense was one of the best to ever suit up at UF and they were gone the following year.

I, like you, was really impressed with Leon Orr. I didn't get the chance to see the game live, but reviewing the DVR, he was all over the place. Easley looks right at home too and will be extremely disruptive against opposing running games. He good breathe on Duke Johnson and take him down.
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,249
    I'm with you, brother.

After losing the guys we lost last year, it was hard not to picture us backsliding on defense, but this group looks really strong so far. I think we could very well be better overall than last year and in particular against the more finesse offenses (we'll have to see how stack up with power run games).

This Cane offense is going to see much more speed, length, and aggression on the field than they saw against FAU... and I think a good deal more than they practice against as well. Everything that came so easily against FAU is going to be a real struggle for them in my estimation.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,924
    We're nasty and we got that swagger! Keep it on the down low, though!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Does anyone know what injury Damien Jacobs has? He played a good bit last year and could be another big in the rotation. Will he play saturday? Thanks in advance.
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    It's recruiting my friends. We have had two really strong classes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That's why I don't think you'll see the dropoff in performance that a few here have predicted.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,249
    Good call. Good rotations from last couple of years paying off too. Most of our new starters have played a good number of meaningful game snaps. Everyone except Maye.
  16. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    Tom Luginbill thinks we have best D in country
  17. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    @TomLuginbill: If #Miami can't stop the run Sat., they r in big trouble. Couple that with UF defense which may be best in country. Fun game. #UFvsMIA
  18. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I'm inclined to agree. Really like the way Orr, Easley, and RoPo played last weekend and it gets even better with Morrison and Purifoy back this week.

Some great posts in this thread.