Are we sure our defense is "nasty"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    Been the common theme after Toledo ....but just like it's to early to bash the offense isn't it a little early to trumpet the defense as comparable to last years?

I liked what I saw, but I think this team is vulnerable up the gut....and until we play a team that can play a power running style and shut them down, I'd say the jury's still out
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Not sure, no. But based on last year and what we've returned, the odds are very good. Having Muschamp on the sidelines always imparts some benefit of the doubt, too.
  3. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I am sure.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,287
    I'm pretty sure it will be one of the best in the nation statistically. Lots of future pros on this D.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    It's still early, IMO.

2003: San Jose State - 183 yards allowed, 3 points, final score - 65-3
    2004: Eastern Michigan - 259 yards allowed, 10 points, final score - 49-10
    2007: Western Kentucky - 204 yards allowed, 3 points, final score - 49-3

Total Defense final Rank:

2003: 51st
    2004: 42d
    2007: 41st

All three lost eight starters or more. This year, we lost seven. A difference was that in those years, the offenses were much better than ours.

I am guardedly optimistic, and Toledo was a solid MAC team last year. We'll see...
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,126
    Why are we "vulnerable up the gut"? What does that even mean?

There are two concerns I had defensively coming into the season. One was how good our run fits would be since we have done shifting in our scheme, moved some players around to different positions, and replaced a ton of guys in the front seven. The other is whether or not we have a decent enough second unit on the defensive line to run our 8-10 man rotation. On the first, we looked solid against Toledo save for one play (the 28 yard bounce outside in the second quarter). Miami will be a much better test. On the second, Cummings was out, Jacobs was limited, and McCallister didn't play. We need a full unit this week and going forward.

But in terms of "nasty," if you have two eyes and watch the game moderately sober, you can see how good this group already is, and that was without its possibly the best individual players at linebacker and in the secondary.
  7. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Linebackers in my opinion are the easiest production to replace. We've got an unfair secondary and a d-line with unlimited potential. Other than a couple of years where he inherited a bad roster, Muschamp has had top 5 defenses his entire career. This year should be no different.
  8. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    Our defense looked great against a very good offense.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Pretty confusing. We gave up 50 yards rushing.
  10. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    "up the gut" meaning the middle replacing Floyd, Hunter, Bostic, Jenkins, Elam and Evans

reminds me of having young talented guys like Spikes, Major Wright and company back in 2007. LSU getting all those 4th and 1's with the power run game...it took those players a year in the SEC to become dominant

maybe the depth is different this time around....
  11. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    To Toledo. Wait till we face Duke Johnson or an offense with a pulse then make your judgment.
  12. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,009
    No, we're not sure our defense is good. But we are positive that our offense sucks. That seems to be the warped view of a lot of GC posters right now.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I didn't make a judgment, that's the point. We have only one game's worth of evidence and it doesn't support the judgment that *was* made.
  14. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    I think we'll take Miami....but their ground game will be the type of test I think we need to see early.

If they shut down Duke Johnson...then pretty good indicator the middle is sound, although the real test will be Gurley and Marshal, then Mike James, and LSU's ground game
  15. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Duke Johnson does not scare me as much as Gurley. Sure Duke is small and fast and looked good against FAU, but he is fragile. Pop that kid 1-2 good times and he will be running scared or out of the game. There is a reason why his carries were limited last year and will be this year as well. Guy can't carry the ball 25-30 times a game. He was banged up against FAU--hurt his leg on one play and a little dizzy on another play. Wait till a big defense pops him a couple of times.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    There is legitimate cause for concern, Nicho. Toledo lost seven starters from a defense ranked 116th in the nation last year playing MAC competition...
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,126
    That 2007 team was second against the run, not just in yardage, but even yards per carry. The problem is that they couldn't stop the pass because we started two true freshman and a true sophomore in the secondary, one of whom (WLP) was our fourth option due to injuries and one of whom was a converted high school quarterback playing his first year of the position. We also only returned two defensive starters total. Of our eleven regular starters that year, only four (Estop, McMillian, Harvey, Joiner) were juniors or seniors.

This year, we return four starters, but have two former starters returning from injury and seven starters are juniors or seniors. Just on the basis of talent alone, you can't compare the middle of McMillain, Estop, the trio of soph Spikes-soph Doe-freshman Jones, Joiner, and a frosh Wright with a senior Easley, a junior Orr, sophomore Morrison-junior Ball-junior Powell, redshirt frosh Maye and a junior Riggs, let alone experience.

I mean, seriously, did you see Orr? The way he moved and how physical he was? That kid may very well be better than Hunter right now, let alone by the end of the season. He has come along very nicely and will play in the league.
  18. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,009
    Last year we scored more against FSU than we did against LaLa and Jax St. Have you not noticed that Muschamp's team tends to show up more for bigger games?
  19. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    This.

Not sure where the soft up the middle stuff comes from but it seems to be the parroted theme of the month.

We're going to fine.

[​IMG]
  20. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    think after the LSU game last year, we all knew we could trust the defense all year...it was really an all time great Florida D

I want to believe we can replace all those starters and play similar defense, maybe because I can't see this offense winning games for us