Are we in the most corrupt recruiting era ever?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by phideltdj, Jul 24, 2014.

1. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    I remember the time before the SMU death penalty where recruiting was out of control with the benefits but I think at this point in time it may be worse and we don't even realize it. The NCAA has not and will not hammer any programs with harsh sanctions lately (UM and UNC come to mind) and the only way you get in trouble is if you self report yourself because the NCAA doesn't even bother investigating anything anymore. Add on to that schools like FSU that are willing to cover up legitimate crimes committed by players so I'm sure they could care less about breaking NCAA guidelines when they circumvent criminal law. Instead of cars going to players now we have parents of players receiving houses and 6 digit income jobs handed to them and of course the cars as well. If you are not breaking recruiting rules than you just can't compete and why wouldn't you as there really is never going to be another death penalty to a program. How much would a Herschel Walker be worth in the recruiting market now...a million dollars? I'm sure paying these guys $1-2K a month would solve it though!
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,425
    While you make some good points on problems of today, I think you could be under estimating the corruption of the past.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    Agree.
  4. mtxlife214

mtxlife214 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    If everyone pays them 1-2 grand, then the same schools are gonna come in and still buy the parents a house on top of the salary.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I can't even imagine what the net worth to a school would be of a player the caliber of Bo, Herschel, Tebow, and Johnny football. Its incalculable.

You heard what Bowlsby of the Big XII had to say recently about out of control violations and no NCAA enforcement. My guess is that he is in the know much better than us message board jockeys. Its the wild, wild west out there right now, equal to, or worse than any era of amateur football and its probably just going to get worse before something is done about it.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I found that a little hard to believe. Have you actually read the dollar figures that were going around back then? With social media and the Internet that kind of thing would be much harder to hide.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,425
    Agree that is very unlikely to be as wide scale as it was back in the day.

I also have no doubt that some programs have it down to a science, though...
    - like getting families into extremely low rate, low down payment mortgages so they get houses they couldn't otherwise afford
    - "loaner car" programs, tats and drugs like at tOSU
    - jobs for family members
    - no show jobs for players
    - anonymous cash contributions

But I think it is probably focused on a relatively few players and with no apparent involvement with coaching staff. Probably hard to positively pin down on the athletic program without subpoena power which the NCAA doesn't have.

I mean, they had Cam Newton admitting to his dad taking several hundred thousand dollars, and they still didn't/couldn't do anything about it.

They've got a picture of Derrick Henry with a brand new Camaro. Is there even any investigation into how he got that car and how his family affords it?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,286
    If the University of Miami, a serial offender, can be punished as lightly as they were for the Shapiro outrage, why would anyone worry about the NCAA? Shapiro's relationship with Miami was as bad as it gets, and was the sort of behavior that resulted in the death penalty for SMU. It is exactly the type of wrongdoing that the NCAA should be trying to stop.

They are a paper tiger anymore, relegated to simply imposing silly rules here and there.