Are we at that point with some fans yet?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gator_in_TX, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Gator_in_TX

Gator_in_TX New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Living in Austin, it was apparent that some fans wanted Texas to lose just to get Mack Brown out of here. They actually rooted against their own team. Now things have turned around a little bit and it will be interesting to see if he stays or goes.

I guess the thought is we may have to burn the whole thing down to rebuild it. Are there any Gator fans to that point yet? Could it get so bad that some want the Gators to lose just to get some changes made? That's how it was out here in Austin for a while this year, but that seems to have died down a bit. At least Mack pulled the plug on Diaz and that seemed to turn around the team.
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +521
    We had that happen when Zook was here. I haven't personally experienced it yet, but we also haven't had a loss nearly as bad as the Mississippi State loss in 2004. It's important for coach to capitalize on that little bit of energy that came out of nowhere late in the game. We're going to need that and then some when we play in Columbia and then again when we host the Clowns on Senior Day.

One thing Champ has going for him is that we're 15-2 at home (with both losses coming in his first season). I think it would be enough to finish the season on a high note to win our final 3 home games.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  3. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    I can't root against them, but I shrug off the loss pretty quickly. As an analogy, I root for the Vikings in the pros, but seeing how bad they are, when they lose I have to be ok with it because Lord knows they need a high draft pick. That's the closest I get to that level ever though, so I suppose in some sense I am there.
  4. medigatorx

medigatorx Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Wait a minute. I thought only Gator fans were entitled, fair-weather, and didn't support coaches "through all kinds of weather?" You mean this actually happens at other schools too? Shame on them!

That said, I don't think I could ever root for us to lose, but I am apathetic now, more so even than under Zook. I at least still felt we had a chance in most games and screamed my head off in the stands. Now, not so much. If I come home hoarse, my wife must have done something to annoy me rather than the our team doing something exciting or the officials doing something stupid. These days it seems to be just the reverse! Man I miss blaming officials for losses; now I guess I have to blame...CUM? Injuries? Celestial alignments?:joecool:
  5. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    It's amazing how on this forum WM has gone from a genius to a dunce in less than one season.
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    I would never pull for us to lose. EVER. That's impossible for me. Unless we hire Kiffen. Lol
  7. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,237
    If you root against the Gators...
    ...you're...not...a...gator.

Period.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  8. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    Meh, not sure anyone called him a genius HC. A defensive genius, maybe. A dunce HC no doubt
  9. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    He was not a genius to most fans a season ago. Id say a good portion of the fan base thought last year was a fluke when it was unfolding. The Sugar Bowl validated most people's doubts. I'm not saying nobody thought he was a genius. There were lots of supporters tooting his horn (still are), but let's not rewrite history here.
  10. Taxg8r00

Taxg8r00 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I absolutely do NOT want UF to lose ever. I do want Muschamp replaced. That being said, I am at a point where I don't even really bother watching games anymore. Our style of play is horribly boring and if we get behind, I pretty much know it will be really hard for this team to come back. Florida is a beautiful state and I have a family, I can easily find plenty of other things to do until UF has a watchable / enjoyable product. I like good college football and UF does not play that.
  11. medigatorx

medigatorx Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Honestly, other than against Kentucky, has there been an SEC team we've faced the last 3 years that you went into the game thinking "We're definitely going to win this one?"

I for one never felt WM was a genius. Thought the hire was dumbfounding from the beginning given the last 1st time coach we hired. He built some equity with last year's record but now it really is looking like they won in spite of WM. How much did WM really have to do w/ Matt Elam's freakish strip of Beckham or Jenkins blocking a punt to beat UL? Yeah, "genius" and "WM" haven't really occurred to me to be placed in the same sentence.
  12. Taxg8r00

Taxg8r00 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Not sure I know of many people that thought he was a genius, other than maybe as a DC. I doubted him when he was hired, after his first season and during the 11-2 season last year (sorry it was smoke and mirrors to me). I expected 9-3 /8-4 this year, but this is a mess now and confirms my suspicions. WM is not head coaching material. I am so sick of hearing what a great recruiter he is. Question??? Who is not a great recruiter at a school like UF? We are in a talent rich state, play in pretty good facilities and play in the SEC. A freaking donkey could recruit kids to UF.
  13. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    So you acknowledge we are atrocious and unwatchable, yet don't hold Muschamp accountable for any of it in year 3? Just trying to understand
  14. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I think of it not as rooting against the Gators, but rooting for what's best for the Gators. If we have to drop a few to reach that point, so be it. Although both are painful, I'd rather a quick change than a prolonged period of futility. And I am a Gator to my core, graduated with honors in '08.
  15. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    This.
  16. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    You have proven that you are not to your core. Core Gators do not root against Gators. No wishy washying it down. You.may think.of yourself as a Gator but your actions.betray your words if you root for losses. what is best for.the Gators.is to lose games???!!!¿¿????
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    . I would say 90% of the "fans" on this board are there already.
  18. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    You would be grossly mistaken if you really think 90% of this.board roots against the Gators. That would be Warchant and not GatorCountry. You and those 90% are welcome to post there.
  19. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    I can totally understand the sentiment that losing in the short term is better for your program in the long term. If Zook won a couple of more games, he could have stayed a year or two longer, and we would still have just one NC.
  20. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Me? Haha, that's funny, I am behind champ 100%