Are they the bane of our existence?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Aug 31, 2013.

1. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    There is no way every ref (including non SEC ones) are all in a conspiracy to keep the Gators down. We have had lots of complicated offenses from Spurrier through Urban. Fun n gun and spread have some movement etc.... Possible we ask for a lot of thinking.
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,968
    'Twas not an SEC crew.
  3. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Penalties are especially problematic for our offensive game plan: CWM wants to grind the ball out, throw high percentage passes, move the chains and eat up clock. When a penalty sets us back we are not geared to compensate for that deviation from the game plan. Not that we can't do it, but compare it to SOS's 90's offenses or some of the hurry-up team today.

Interestingly, the methodic style offense is less equipped to deal with mistakes than the more chaotic forms. I think the penalties have less of an impact on the D due to their ability and adaptabilit
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,350
    Hall and Pell, too. It's our history. We can't control the good ol' boy politics in Birmingham. The only part of it we can control is discipline and technique. It's hard for me to believe we've never had a coach in all that time who didn't make it hell to pay for committing penalties.
  5. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Funny thing is I've always thought that I would be coming off as a winer or some sort of lunatic if I pointed these things out during or after a game throughout 30 some years of watching the Gators.....Makes me feel a little better now that I see others also feel the same way.
    Watch any FSU-UF game over the last 25 years and tell me you don't see some kind of biased officiating. Also the point about going from 5 different coaches just makes it that much more compelling....It's not as noticeable during SEC play but we never seem to benefit from a call that could go either way.