Apathy from the Gator Nation?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatormom11, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GatorBait19

GatorBait19 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Agreed
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,121
    We are not a complete team. Very good D and poor to average O. Seems WM plays for TOP to keep D fresh and score down and has achieved that. However, we have such a poor O that though we play keep away we can't or don't score very much.

Right or wrong, how we finish this year will imo indicate whether WM is here long or here not for long. We lose to uga, usce and sow, the noise begins to grow big time and this trickles down to recruiting as opposing coaches will put doubt in the minds of recruits that wm days are numbered. Further, if our O shows the same anemic look I would think by signing days we won't get the top recruits on O that is needed. Finally, in year 3 of WM I have seen little to no progress in our OL play. I hear the reasons and excuses but after 3 years somehow things should be improving and they are not. We lose 4 more games and WM is gone in 3 years jmo. Not because he has lost so many games this year but the majority of fans and recruits will see uf as nothing more than a good team but a team under this staff that will never be special. Fan interest will grow to apathy and that my friends is a killer.

WM will be compared to RZ when people had hoped he would be compared to SOS and CM.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Isn't an objective analysis of a poorly played game inherently negative?
  4. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    The point of the offense is to score, anything else second. The point of the defense is to prevent scoring.

Our current philosophy puts TOP and ball security 1st and scoring 2nd.
  5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
  6. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Was there a graphic during yesterday's telecast that said Muschamp was 4-7 vs ranked teams? Does that make it 4-8 now?

Anyone remember seeing this?
  7. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,100
    Yes, it is now 4-8.

I remember 2004 and Zook, the 'maybe this year we'll get it, he has to get better', the loss at Tennessee that was familiar, then the blowing it vs LSU, that is when it became clear he wasn't getting better and what was the point, he was who he was, the loss at Missy St was not a surprise to most people, it was inevitable.

I don't know if we are there yet, but yesterdays loss was pretty damn familiar.
  8. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I know that the SEC is tough year in and year out but that's pretty bad. 2012 is looking more like a fluke than the norm.
  9. SurfinGator

SurfinGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    those were actually the UF section of seats right of the end zone ... the announcers yammed about LSU fans only filling the stadium for night games. When it was our seats.
  10. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,698

Ouch. Are you serious?
  11. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,698
    My displeasure with the team is no improvement on offense. If anything it is getting worse. I am tired of the excuses about the OL. We are in year 3. We have very little success recruiting 5 star OL. We did have 2 great transfers, but other than that. It has been a disappointment.

If I felt this offense was heading in the right direction, I would have much more hope. I just don't see it.
  12. magnafides

magnafides Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    I don't think most people would have a problem with the offensive philosophy if we were actually executing and scoring points. We aren't. With our offense, opponents are rarely out of the game.

One of the most disappointing things for me is our lack of fundamentals and discipline.
  13. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yep. To me Bama's offense is very exciting, as is Stanford's. I can even watch Navy or Georgia Tech or BYU run those type of offenses. That's because its interesting to watch a team do what they do really well. Whereas with us sometimes it looks like we don't even practice much at all.
  14. hoyt233

hoyt233 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    I watched the game yesterday but found myself wanting it to be over so I could relax and watch the night games. I have been a Gator for 50 years and this is the first time I have lost the excitment for a Gator game. I feel like CWM is in way over his head and has run out of answers. The University of Florida is a top tier football program and should have a top tier coaching staff. I guess the frustration is getting to me and the enjoyment is fading fast.
  15. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I felt the same way as a Gator fan for 40 years.

I kept thinking did we hire the Norv Turner of college football?
  16. zhillsgator86

zhillsgator86 Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Regarding the OP apathy statement, there is NOTHING like going to a gator game, home or away. Tailgating, talking with the other fans, good natured heckling of the opponents, checking out the coeds, the building excitement as kick off approaches, all the tradition and the youthful energy that comes from being back on campus. While i always want to win, a large part of attending is the experience of game day.

You can't get that from your 60" high def screen.
  17. Gatormom11

Gatormom11 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I wholeheartedly agree that the best game experience is at the game on campus! We were just talking about how great it is to tailgate on night games. I bring breakfast, and do steak dinner with all the trimmings!

I have had 1/2 of my son's fraternity stop by and eat with us at our tailgate on game day. Which as a mom, is totally one of life's best experiences.

I just felt that this season felt different somehow and wanted to hear others thoughts as to why.
  18. DrTobiasFunke

DrTobiasFunke Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I had the same exact feeling as hoyt, looking forward to our game being over so that I could catch the night games. As a Gator fan of 25 years, I am stunned at how generally numb I have felt watching our games. I don't even have the dread of bye weeks that I have always had. It is strange.

I'm not ready to give up Muschamp yet, however. It is easy to forget that he has a very different task before him than either Spurrier or Meyer did when they arrived. Spurrier brought a revolutionary offense to a conference that hadn't changed much since the 1960s. Meyer was able to effectively use the deep talent that was left behind for him by Zook. Neither of those apply to Muschamp. Our roster depth and talent were not where they should have been when he arrived. He has done wonders turning around the defense. Now it is time to do the same with the offense in the next season and a half. If he does, our future will be bright. If he does not, I fear that it will be a short stay for Muschamp.
  19. pedsgator

pedsgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I am somewhat in the same boat as the original poster. We actually cut cable this year before school started as we were in the process of moving. When football season started, it was tough, but I was able to stream the games on line. After Miami, it was pretty clear that we weren't winning anything significant with Driskel and this offense. I enjoy watching the defense, but unless youve got the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, you need some modicum of offense to balance it out, and for too long now we have just cleat stomped ourselves.

I have two kids, one is a boy who is starting to get into the the games, but to alter weekend plans in the middle of a Saturday to watch two teams essentially punt back and forth and swap field position it just isn't always worth it. I had some hope with Murphy, and I think he's a good player, but I can't help but feel that unless something drastic changes this offense is always going to be playing not to lose. I know we have some commits from some top offensive players, but I can't say I really see it changing much then either.
  20. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +802
    This issue with WM's style of offense is it doesn't allow for building depth. It's one thing to put in 2nd and 3rd string in a 3rd of the plays during the games, but we never get the chance because the games are always close. The only time we put in 2nd or 3rd string is after an injury. I will say defensively he does quite well with subbing in players, but offensively on the oline, nothing. Are the freshmen that bad???