Apathy from the Gator Nation?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatormom11, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

And 11 last season.......including 4 teams in the BCS top 10.
  2. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Because I sit on the edge of my seat with every play. Because every time we hold an offense to 1-2 yards it's a bit of a rush. Because every time we gain 5 yards it's somewhat of a thrill. Because my stomach is in knots until a game is in hand like I'm watching a horror movie or riding a roller coaster. Because I LOVE football.

That you don't understand that makes me guess you never played at a higher competitive level. If you had you would understand that people who play the game care most of all about winning. Nobody stands on the sidelines complaining of boredom. If you only care about entertainment, I'd suggest renting a highly rated movie. That way you won't be disappointed.
  3. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Yes yes...11-2 11-2 11-2. And what titles did we win for that? None. But surely we rose to the challenge in our bowl game...no? Hmm...ok.
  4. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Our first three SEC games....31, 24 and 30 points didn't need shutouts to win.
  5. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Sadly I agree. I think most great coaches can make improvements at a much quicker rate. He is a great defensive mind and we turned our defense around almost instantly. But when it comes to offense and head coaching responsibilities, the improvement has been only incremental in 3 years.

I think with a new head coach people are still on the fence. Can this guy get it done or not? For every step forward (beating aTm, LSU, USCe, FSU) we seem to take a step back (poor performances against ULL, UGA, UL, UM, LSU) plus somewhat lifeless performances against the likes of BG, Toledo, Kentucky. For every great win you can point to an almost equally terrible loss or listless performance. I think a first-time head coach could do himself a favor by doing more than just the bare minimum to win.

I never believed in the "we should only hire coaches with previous head coaching experience" but I'm starting to now. Hard to know what you have if you don't.
    Tipmoose likes this.
  6. gator07

And did the defense score all those points? No, we had average offensive performances in each of those games and we won easily. Unfortunately "average" is the ceiling for this offense the way its been constructed and at worst this offense plays like it did Saturday and we have zero shot at winning.
  7. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Sorry to hear this but things are a bit frustrating.....
  8. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Agreed. Some fans think that college football should be scoring on nearly every possession with a four play, 90 second drive. Almost like holding serve at Wimbledon........if a team has to punt a couple of times, they should lose. To me, 54-51 games are ridiculous and uninteresting. The reason soccer doesn't work in the US is lack of fan sophistication.
  9. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

3 top ten teams last year (you can't count LSU and aTm), but point well-taken.

The issue I have, and I assume other posters do too, is that the 11-2 record last year feels flukey seeing the continued struggles on offense. It took an unusually large turnover margin to create a couple of those wins that isn't sustainable. We're seeing the regression to the mean this year, and as a result could be unranked in a week or two.
  10. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Vey simple -/ fla coaches get paid big money to do a lot better than they are doing now
  11. toddsevans

toddsevans Gators3397 Premium Member

Winning cures everything. We lost a lot of the talent we were depending on this year and we had a chance to win in both games we lost. It does make me sick to loose and sick to see what some "fans" write about players and coaches. Low class
  12. gator07

I love the fans in quotes like that. Really sticks it to em.
  13. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Boom is not a Elite coach ....
  14. garygator

garygator Active Member

If I recall the graphic from yesterday correctly, those games were against the 12th, 13th, and 14th ranked SEC defenses.
  15. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

It's fine to talk about coaches ..... And anyone that watched LSU handle us yesterday knows they could of made the score a lot worse
  16. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

How so? By risking an interception with an 11 point lead? Please tell us how that would have happened other than dumb, high risk football.
  17. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

I'm not sure boring offense is it. Bama's offense has been boring for years, but it's fun to watch boring. When you a see a real smash-mouth offense it's fun to watch. Our offense has been smashed in the mouth. When you average less than 3 yards a carry, that is boring. Seeing a running back or blockers mow down the defense, it's fun to watch. Watching backs scramble at the handoff for 10 yards for a 0 net average is boring. Let's not even go to pass blocking because that isn't boring, it's frustrating to watch.
  18. gator07

Right. And is 24 against Kentucky good? 23 points scored by the offense against Arkansas at home? Is that good? Its average.
  19. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Look at the teams we beat: Toledo, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas.

That's our level.

Good thing we still have Georgia Southern and Vanderbilt on our schedule.

When we beat them, we can brag about how wonderful we are.
  20. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

BAhahahahahahahaah. No. The reason soccer doesn't work in the US is because it's a ridiculously boring sport full flopping Frenchmen and 1-1 ties.