Apathy from the Gator Nation?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatormom11, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    the point is, alabama has been dominant (except for 2010) since 2009. Florida has had one good year since 2009. Why can't UF be like alabama?
  2. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Hmmm. Good question. Maybe most of us have ugly cousins.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    "My buddy drives a new Porsche, while I only have a BMW..."

Amazing....

Why not try to learn the reasons WHY our teams have what they have?

Start with:

* Recruiting quality

* Recruiting raw numbers

* Athletes fitting into a system

* Strength of schedule

* Lost starters and depth

* Injuries to key players

* Expulsions/failures to qualify

1. Recruiting quality: Alabama and Florida are currently 2d and 3d in the nation in star average over the last eight years. USC is #1.

2. Recruiting raw numbers: Since 2008, Alabama has recruited 159 players, while Florida recruited 135 players. Bama has one more full class of players.

3. Alabama has had one system in five years. Florida has two.

4. SOS: Since 2008, Alabama played 15 AQ conference opponents with 9+ wins. Florida played 21 such teams.

5. Lost Starters: since 2010, Alabama lost 12 or more starters once, and went 10-3. Florida lost 12+ starters three times and went 8-5, 7-6, and thus far, 4-2.

6. Key Injuries: Alabama has been remarkably healthy, while Florida had to replace injured starters three years running.

7. Expulsions/Failure to qualify: Both Meyer and Muschamp has been known to kick stars off the team. if Saban kicks a player off, you can be sure he has a better player to replace him.

These are just a handful of reasons. There are dozens more.
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Great post.
  5. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    saban played uf for the sec title in year 2 and won the national title in year 3--he inherited decent talent from shula but did a lot more with it
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Yeah, but Nick Saban is hardly the minimum standard as far as head coaches go -- that is, unless you are comparing him to Bryant, Rockne, Hayes, Neyland, etc.

Saban is clearly the greatest coach in the last 30 years, with perhaps Meyer the only one being close, and he isn't THAT close.

To compare Muschamp to Saban is embarrassing to both men. The little midget in Tuscaloosa is a hundred feet tall right now.
  7. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    I have had some experiences with the Tide's athletic dept back when Mal Moore was the AD. There is an undercurrent of a wining attitude there that is hard to explain. It is their religion.
  8. phideltgator

Ratings Received:
    +466
    I would hire that "little midget" in a heartbeat.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    You're absolutely right about that. Wrote a list of ten game winning coaches since Bryant at Alabama. Turned out that ALL of them won 10 games at least once.

Alabama football is EVERYTHING in Alabama. It is indeed a religion.
  10. phideltgator

Ratings Received:
    +466
    I am usually free to voice my opinions about college sports. I started with the 70 Gators so it wasn't a big deal back then. So that is my roots. Now in Tville you don't mention negative stuff about any of their sports. Positive vibs only or keep your mouth shut. I learned pretty quickly but it has its drawbacks too.
  11. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I may be in the minority here but I believe Meyer would be every bit as successful at Alabama as Saban or at least close enough so as to make the difference meaningless. Meyer learned the hard way that there is a difference between turning around a program and maintaining success, something he never had to do before he coached at Florida. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a peer for turning around programs like Meyer. His track record for turning around, changing the culture, building great teams really is masterful. In some ways it reminds me of the business experts paid millions to do the same for failing businesses. Meyer still needs to prove he can maintain a program but I think he learned his lesson at our expense.
  12. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    If that's what you got out of the quoted statement then there really is no point in discussing this with you.

If you enjoy eating chit sandwiches year after year and convince yourself its really caviar, feel free. But that's called having a mental illness and will likely result in you being denied employment at the really good companies. Personally, I'll just pass on the sandwich in the first place and not patronize the restaurant until they get a better chef, or the existing one learns how to make a sammich.
  13. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    How about the year they fired Shula?
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    I think Meyer is close, but his program didn't require the turnaround that Saban's Bama team required. Looking at regular season W/L and recruiting for three years prior to Meyer's and Saban's arrival:

Year-----Florida W/L---Recruiting Rank----Year---Bama W/L-----Recruiting Rank

2002...............8-4..............20th/3.22.........2004.....6-5..............28th/2.90
    2003...............8-4................2d/3.65..........2005.....9-2..............18th/3.03
    2004...............7-4................9th/3.52.........2006.....6-6..............11th/3.61

Average.........23-12 (.657)....10th/3.47...................21-13 (.618)..19th/3.18

Florida had a slightly better W/L record, but it was far more consistent than Alabama, who had a loaded team in 2005 (Florida lost 13 starters in 2003 and had a true frosh at QB against probably the toughest schedule in our history).

As for recruiting, Florida easily outpaced Alabama, which was partially due to Alabama suffering lingering aftereffects of sanctions. Shula recruited well in 2006. Next six years:

2005..............8-3....................................2007......6-6
    2006............12-1....................................2008.....12-1
    2007..............9-3....................................2009.....13-0
    2008............12-1....................................2010.......9-3
    2009............12-1....................................2011......11-1
    2010..............7-5....................................2012......12-1

Total............60-14 (.811)......................................63-12 (.840)

I'm a big Urban Meyer fan (unlike many here), so you will not often see me criticizing him, and I'm not doing that here. Saban had much less to work with and did more with Alabama. Meyer had two rebuild seasons in six years (2007 and 2010), while Saban only had one (2010).

I have to conclude that Saban did a better job. And that doesn't even take into account the job he did at LSU, which is similar to what Urban did...basically, everywhere. Even Saban needed a few years to build up Michigan State, and he bolted as soon as he did that...

But I have to give Saban the edge, with only Meyer being close.
  15. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I won't argue that Saban is the best in the business but I'd put Meyer's turnarounds at Bowling Green and Utah above Saban's MSU and LSU turnarounds. One thing to consider as well is that Saban has a few years on Meyer both in age and head coaching. Bottom line, any program (save Florida and LSU) would be ecstatic with either coach and both will be talked about among the greats.