Apathy from the Gator Nation?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatormom11, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Gatormom11

Gatormom11 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    When I first started lurking here in 2006, threads and responses to them were interesting, thoughtful, and electrifying to read as a fan. Diverse opinion and thought provoking themes kept me coming back for more. I might add here to be fair, that winning most of the time makes it easy to be a fan and you do need to get your fix.:wave:

We've been going to games every year and have traveled too. Checking in at Gator
    Country was irresistible.

It seems different to me this season. Might it be apathy with our team or is it a sense of genuine loss of how it has come to this since our last national championship?

Thoughts?
  2. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Just look at that offense it says it all
  3. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    It's not a fun brand of football anymore. I'd rather go to weddings this time of year than watch the product that is now Gator football under Muschamp.
  4. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Maybe there's little point in having thought provoking deabate, interesting and diverse opinion any more?

I read these forums for a long time before I became a regular poster and it barely feels worth engaging in a debate nowadays - it feels like the tone of the boards have changed. Very few posters seem willing to engage in open-minded discussion, preferring more to make a profound statement and then stick to it, come what may. (This sucks! He's this or that! Fire suchabody!)

I'd probably be thrown under the 'sunshine pumper' tag by many because I choose to look at things positively but that in itself is ridiculous. I want to be balanced and objective about the Gators. In my humble view, too many people like the boards to just blast off steam behind the safety of a PC screen and have little to no intention of considering things in a balanced manner.

And of course the ultimate kicker? Being a prognsticator of failure is self-fulfilling for the poster who makes it because in sports, at some point or other, everyone faces failure/adversity. It 'proves' them right!

I'd love to see people just be a bit more objective, whether it's positive or negative.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,954
    Its not the board. Its the fanbase. Look at Penn State last night. 106,000. Electric atmosphere, even with nothing to play for.
    Winning has made our fanbase spoiled.

These boards are just a reflection of that.
    Winning is probably the only cure....and as I keep saying....we need a rock star. (No pressure Mr. Grier) *sigh*

The apathy is throughout the Gator Nation right now. Hoping ot changes soon.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    I am afraid you are right but to compound the problem I am not seeing improvement. Yes a few players come off the bench and light it up.....but what were they doing on the bench? This ship is not under full power and it's having trouble staying on course so how does one fix a problem such as this?
  7. vorpal

vorpal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Offense is BORING..... If we don't watch out we could turn into the Jacksonville Jaguars....That is BORING!!!!
  8. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Style of play has a lot to do with it. If we lost 38-33 yesterday in a shoutout, people
    Wouldn't be calling for anyone's head. Football became America's game in the 90s when high flying offenses took off. When smash mouth offense was big in the 70s, baseball was Americas game.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    Gator fans are not content to simply win; they have to be ENTERTAINED. For many, the W/L record is not an adequate indicator of dominance. The "points for - points against" ratio has to be abnormally large as well. Almost unique among longtime SEC schools, smashmouth football has never been in vogue among Florida fans. We also have to score half a hundred, otherwise we would be like other teams and tell our opponents, "We kicked your butts all over the field" with a 3-point victory. We are not comfortable doing that.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LimeyGator

Ratings Received:
    +842
    That may be true, but it's not (likely!) the mandate Muschamp was given.

He was hired to win games at the University of Florida. He's a conservative, defense-first guy who wants to see his team manage the offense with care.

If people have an issue with that, they need to address Jeremy Foley. Muschamp is doing it the way he always will do. If the mandate was exciting football, WM would not have been brought in. People need to move along in their expectations now!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. phideltgator

Ratings Received:
    +442
    The greatest experiment would be to put a proven successful head coach like Saban in control of the Gators to see how long it takes to correct the problems and get the ship back on course.
  12. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Watching a super boring offense grind out 45 running plays 3-4 yards a whack is not entertaining. At all. Sport is entertainment. I went to an exciting stellar matchup in the acc yesterday. NCSU v. Syracuse. [/sarcasm] rather than watch on TV the UF game. We can't put away the patsies. For someone who is passionate about Gator sports, 3.5 hours of major stress on Sat afternoon every damn week is not my idea of a good time. 7-8 games a year should be an absolute joy watching the Gators blowout inferior opponents. That makes the 4-5 competitive games more enjoyable. Not putting away inferior competition until the 4 quarter is just too stressful to watch. It also makes this team play tight because they seem too afraid to take a chance to make a play. Getting yelled at on national TV for making a mistake doesn't help.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    That's true for most fans. Sports are a way to entertain the people. I don't necessarily see something wrong with that. But winning and entertaining are not mutually exclusive.
  14. phideltgator

Ratings Received:
    +442
    So are you happy with the Muschamp way? Do you think hs kids are attracted to this system?
  15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,769
    Is it possible that your perspective has changed, OP?
  16. LimeyGator

Ratings Received:
    +842
    I'm no scientist but that doesn't seem like a 'fair experiement' to me to put the most successful College coach in there and expect all else to remain equal. Recruiting alone would be off the charts, as it always seems to be for Bama.

If you're talking about a game management/planning type of scenario, then I could see more merit but it would take time to install...
  17. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Definitely not a great time for college football.

They touched on it in the CBS broadcast yesterday, but the fact that there are starting to be a ton of empty seats for games that used to be hard to even buy even a single ticket, it's not a very encouraging trend.
  18. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    You're absolutely correct. If he wins, then no one will be complaining. If we won in Miami and yesterday, people wouldn't be complaining - but we didn't. I support Muschamp but I think he needs to make changes on offense. If you coached that game would your first comments in the press conference have been that the defense needs to play better?
  19. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +683
    Fwiw, LSU had a lot of empty seats yesterday.

College football needs to address this and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  20. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    My 16 year old said defensive players are.
    • Like Like x 2