AP sources: Intelligence on weapons no 'slam dunk'

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by HallGator, Aug 29, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,227
    Well, no chit!. Many of us on the board could have figured that out without being told. Our intervention in this country may be one of the more stupid things we have done in a long line of stupid interventionism. It's like if we are not in a war or about to get into a war we aren't following our destiny.

Leave these people the hell alone and let them work out their own problems. Diplomacy is one thing but military action is a whole new ballgame.

• Like Like x 1
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,098
    I foresee belief in slam-dunkness of the evidence to continue to fall along partisan lines with the right clamoring for intervention due to the "overwhelming evidence" just to get the OA to do something politically unwise: intervene.

Likewise the left will continue to caution against the evidence no matter how sound evidence may become despite their desire to send a million drones.

Politics are whack.
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Given the president's obvious reluctance to get into this one I'm going to take his official words on this over un-named experts until something new comes out. Why would he mis-represent evidence whose existence was bad news for him and us? I mean besides for the fact that he's a corporate fascist war mongerer.
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,775
    I haven't seen clear partisan divide on any part of this. Nobody's saber is rattling more loudly than Obama's, and the criticism of that by the right is that he very clearly has little respect for whether the world takes strong talk by an American President seriously or not. But plenty of conservatives, most I would daresay, are really, really skeptical of any military intervention here just because there is nobody we are better off having run that craphole. There is both anti-war pragmaticism and anti-war pacifism this time.
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    That's not correct. McCain - AGAIN - is out front loudly calling for air strikes and regime change.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,434
    Seems like the only rationale for intervention is the that the president shot off his mouth, and by God, you got to back that up, even if there is no clear objective and bombing wouldnt not really achieve anything of strategic importance. But checks need to be cashed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,227
    I don't give a hoot if it is the right or the left's saber rattling. What I do care about is my country and what partisan bs is doing to it. The right, as Exile said, may love to put Obama on the spot for what he said and make him look even worse if this thing backfires. The whole problem with that is what Obama does affects us all. It is each and everyone of us who are in this boat together and wishing for him to screw up means you wish for the country to screw up.

Some are already predicting the possibility of a $150 a barrel oil which will seriously impede our recovery, but to hell with that as long as some damned idiots, right or left, can score political points. That's what's really important. Stupid bastids.
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,098
    I heard Mike Rogers on my drive home last night stating the evidence was convincing and compelling to take "next steps" (something to that effect) against Assad.

I agree that most here aren't calling for it. I saw a poll posted here that most Americans aren't for it. I'm just saying this is how I see it unfolding, but I could be wrong. I was wrong once back in '78, so it IS possible.
  9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +558
    Pretty much.
  10. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    Something we can all agree on? Racist conservatives and peace loving liberals in harmony. Hell just got a few hundred degrees colder.:laugh:
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Picked "Everybody Was Kung Foo Fighting" to go into the R&R Hall of Fame?

Yeah, me too.
  12. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,775
    Maybe you didn't read my post, or understand it, but I am fully aware there are some on the right who want it. But it would be just a total fabrication to suggest that there is a "right wants war in Syria, left opposes it" dynamic.
  13. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,227
    Look to me like the POTUS wants it.
  14. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,775
    Well, or one could accept that he pooped the bed and that our credibility takes a hopefully recoverable hit and that he should learn his lesson. But that would require the man have any humility or even realizes his error.

But again, this fraud that this is all driven by conservatives is just... shameless. On the world stage, Obama and Kerry seem to be the only people sounding the battle cry, at least based on the evidence heretofore available. In fact, I would love someone to ask Kerry about the global test, since the other four permanent members have variously told us to get bent.
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    I would think that generally when you're one of the most powerful men in the world, there's a tendency to hold and take you at your word.
  16. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I objected to the part of your post I bolded, where you said no one is sabre rattling more loudly than Obama. McCain is and I doubt he is alone (Graham? others?).
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I think it is obvious that Obama wished this problem would disappear and the recent film of supposed gassing of civilians is forcing him to act. Why would he manufacture reasons to get involved in something he would rather not deal with?
  18. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,227
    I expressed my views on McCain when he was running for President the last time. One of my strongest reasons for not voting for him was my fear he would have us in a war with Iran in short order. I voted for Obama but he seems to be partial to warmongering too. That, plus other things, was the reason he didn't get a second vote from me.
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,227
    It's simple. You lay low and carry a big stick. He may have felt he dad to draw the line in the sand but he is responsible for it and now it has him in a precarious situation.
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    OK, but that is a different issue than either manufacturing evidence or not being thorough enough in evaluating it as is suggested by this thread and your link.