Anyone have a SEC Network game breakdown?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ces1948, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +304
    Does anyone know how the games will be divvied up between CBS, ESPN and the SEC Network channel? Has it been determined about exactly how many SEC football games will be on the tube each week?
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,482
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure CBS and ESPN will still get first picks, it's the games that landed on SEC TV/JP/whatever that will be on the SEC network, three games a day.
  3. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Would this make paying for ESPN Gameplan useless then? Would be nice to see all/most of the SEC games without having to shell out money for Gameplan.
  4. gnvgator

gnvgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
    “I understand you would like to know if SEC Network will be available on DIRECTV. We know how important it is for you to have access to this channel to keep your service.

After careful review, I have confirmed that DIRECTV has no current plans to carry the SEC Network. While we are unable to comment on future programming decisions, we are always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best possible TV experience. Thus, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV Management for future consideration. We often make changes based on customer feedback like yours.”

" there’s a good chance many SEC fans won’t be getting the SEC Network when it launches in August. And with the SEC putting three football games per Saturday on its channel, that’ll lead to a lot more angry consumers emailing or calling their cable/satellite-providers."

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-fo...tv-fires-first-missile-in-sec-network-war.php

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-fo...me-warner-merger-mean-for-the-sec-network.php
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    We were better off with the "SEC Network" using affiliates rather than trying to have its own channel(s). I got SEC games on a local affiliate in San Francisco all last season, when ESPN, CBS or Fox Sports didn't have them.

Of course, the money for the SEC is in getting cable and satellite providers to pay for accessing their channel(s).

Big 10 network is carried on most providers I think. I guess we're going to have to make a lot of noise to ensure SEC gets the same coverage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Dish and ATT UVerse will have the SEC Network. Comcast, Time Warner and DirectTV subscribers may or may not get the channel. Sounds like DirectTV is going to lose all their southern customers if they keep this up.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    I've been with DirecTV for over 10 years, mostly because it's the best (only) way to get to see practically all UF football and basketball games. If they don't carry the SEC Network, I'll switch. I tweeted such to them and got this response:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ces1948

Ratings Received:
    +304
    I didn't see that Dish had actually signed on. They have been negotiating with Disney for several months now concerning ABC, ESPN etc with nothing being decided until at least May.
  9. ces1948

Ratings Received:
    +304
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KronoGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,482
    It's interesting to see DirecTV slow on the SEC network and telling the PAC 12 to take a hike, they were one of the first on board for the Big10, wonder if they regret that deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. KronoGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,482
    Agreed, get all the SEC games on the MSG channel, was awesome.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ces1948

Ratings Received:
    +304
    We weren't so lucky here near WPB, Fl concerning the SEC affiliate. It was a very small station that did not broadcast in HD and the format was so weird that no matter what I tried the bottom part of the screen showing the score and the time left was cut off.
  13. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    I have Bright House Cable TV here in Lakeland and have not seen any information if BH will be carrying the new SEC TV Network or not.

Now on the old SEC game of the week at 12:21 P.M., always got that game. But of course that was probably because a local TV station, which always carried the SEC game, is always on BH.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. buckwheat6105

buckwheat6105 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Including the SEC Championship there are 99 SEC games in 2014. The SEC Network will air 45 live football games (3 games every Saturday) starting with week 1 of the college football season. Of the remaining games CBS will air 16 and ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will air 38.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    People are really fighting hard to be able to watch Vandy or Mississippi State every Saturday LOL.

The solution is simple: make it accessible to ANY customer who wants it... even if you have to make it part of a higher tier or package or sell it a la carte. Whatever the price needed. People will pay the price... they just want the station available.

I left Direct 3 years ago. When they dropped the Weather Channel I would have bought out the contract to leave them anyway. They are IDIOTS and they are killing themselves by a thousand cuts with every droppage of service they foist on the public. And then they send you a Please Come Back letter every week. I would not have DirectTV if they paid ME. Their high-and-mighty selves don't miss the SEC Network, they think because they possess NFL Sunday Ticket they have all the hyper-uber-ultra-mega-$$$$$$ they need. That is where they butter their bread, with the NFL and pro sports.
  16. KronoGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,482
    The Weather channel is a waste land of lame reality shows and some weather coverage when it is convenient, DirecTV should be commended for dropping it.
  17. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,234
    Fox is in the final year of their SEC deal and will have a few games as well.
  18. buckwheat6105

buckwheat6105 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    If ESPN made the SEC Network available a la carte they will have several major problems. For starters, NO carrier will ever agree to distribute the network a la carte. Why? Because the network would be VERY, VERY expensive (easily north of $15-$20 per month). If a carrier offers one network that is this expensive, customers will begin to cancel other services in order to pay for the network (i.e. canceling a news package that costs $4.99 per month) thus causing carriers to be less profitable. Why would it be so expensive? Because as an a la carte network the SEC Network will be in fewer households. Do the math: there are 30 million wired homes in SEC Country and it's reported that ESPN is asking carriers to pay about $1.30 per home, per month. $1.30 x 30 million homes = $39,000,000 monthly revenue. Keep in mind, 39 million is only if the SEC Network receives 100% distribution which is very unlikely. To put it in perspective, Netflix has approximately 33 million subscribers in the entire country (there are approximately 100 million cable/satellite homes in the US).

ESPN can't afford to have the network be a part of a higher tier or package. It MUST be part of your basic subscription package because these packages deliver the highest number of subscribers.
  19. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,022
    This is easy: Alabama and uga get hilariously easy schedules..UF and USC east get the rough schedules..everything else is just semantics.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,456
    I have had DirecTV for 14 years-they might lose me if they do not carry the SEC Network