Anyone else think we just witnessed Jeff Driskel's last start @ UF

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swg8trgr8, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Obviously its still early in the season, but you can tell a bit about players by the way they react to pressured situations early in their career. Even when he was a true freshman, we were saying that Driskel, despite all his athletic gifts, was a bit jumpy, never went through his reads, and made very poor decisions when the offense opened up. Some, if not all, of those things still hold very true

With Murphy, in his first start, never having thrown a pass in his career (I think), he shown a calm demeanor, ability to look past his first read, and willing to throw the ball away instead of taking a costly sack or throwing the ball into triple coverage. That doesn't guarantee future success, but it does show that he has what it takes to be a very good player for our team.
  2. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Tyler did a great job today. He looked like he had "it". He will need to work on some things and become better throughout the year, and after that the QB competition can begin in the spring.

Right now Tyler is the man!

I hope Jeff has a quick recovery and can get back to practicing and competing for the job in the spring!

These guys are both great Gators, no need to take shots at any players!
  3. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Careful. I implied this in another thread and got piled on. I may even be banned, I'm not sure.:tongue:
  4. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +102

It is to early to appoint Murphy as a savior of this team, But after last season and this season with Driskel what do you expect people to think? A backup comes in with limited reps that has on field awareness, can make proper reads and check downs, knows when to scramble, complete NFL type back shoulder throws (only 1), and not throwing passes where his receivers have to leave their feet 1-2 feet vertically? Murphy has the chance to be good. Probably not great but good. That is all this team needs.
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Jeff will probably be playing minor league baseball with the Boston Red Sox next summer.
  6. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    Wouldn't be complete without the condescending remarks from those who think they're on some moral high ground.
  7. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    It was just one game and UT was bad, but Murphy was intelligent and capable of being a game manager at least, unlike Driskel. I think he is a playmaker. Driskel has looked like a deer in head lights in every game he has played in including the beginning of last season.

Pease's playcalling was not good. We ran on nearly every first down which is ridiculous. We don't have good enough RBs to get away with that.
  8. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    ^^^ Irony ^^^
  9. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I think that was his point
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Dude you cant be serious Driskel was a game manger last year the team won 11 game but I get it you dont like him. You cannot say Driskel looked like deer in a head lights when we needed him to bring us back in the 2nd half to win games. But maybe you were watching a different games than I was lat year.

Pease was being conservative which I believe is a good thing. We have a great D we need to not turn over the football and we wil win games.

Pease going to more options plays with Murphy was great especially in the redzone. He also had plays that didnt have Murphy reading the whole field and very few no back stuff. You better get used to it because that is how we are going to play. Conservative in each redzone. We will try and go down field some when we are between the 35's. That is how we are going to win football games
  11. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    AZ, Driskel seemed to be in a downward trend though. Sugar Bowl, Miami and the start of UT. 3 out of the last 4 games, he showed signs of imploding. Last year in Knoxville feels like an awfully long time ago.
  12. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Shouldn't have to worry about having a QB that will turn the ball over, should have full confidence in him to go out there and pick defenses apart.
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    His point was to be ironic? I hope not because unintentional irony is the best irony but I will accept intentional as well ... I do love me some irony!
  14. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    It will be interesting next year for sure. If TM has a good year as qb, then it will be competitive next year with TM having an edge. If Grier comes in the spring, and makes plays who knows. Personally, I think Grier redshirts and it will come down to TM and JD. If Grier is the future and JD gets a year added, make JD into a tight end.
  15. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    I think you're getting caught up in the semantics of it. Driskel avoided turnovers for the most part last year, so in that sense he could qualify as a "game manager." But it was also evident that he struggled to read the defense, audible, be aware of the rush, etc. That's where Murphy appears to be an upgrade.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    He had gotten a lot better reading coverage going through his progression etc. My problem was they were asking him to do too much. That is why I liked the game plan we had when Murphy was in the game. Keep it simple and move on. Driskel made some mistakes but he never had the deer in the headlight look though.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They were run audible the same ones Driskel has been calling the Muschamp said were right. What they did this game was simply stuff in the redzone which was smart and I hope they continue to do so because I believe we can win with Murphy if we do
  18. trekcid

trekcid Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Driskel is a very good athlete but that does not translate into being a good quarterback on an SEC team. I like the guy as a person but I have always believed his thought process is
    Too slow. He ran a spread offense in high school and being a big kid he put up big numbers,
    That was what he was recruited for by Myer to run his spread offense. Myer left and Jeff was put into a offense scheme that was not suited for his abilities and he has had a hard time adjusting. Coach should move on and play Murphy the rest of this year and when Grier
    Comes in have the competition for next year starter. Murphy may do a great job now that he knows he is the starter for the next 8 games maybe the next 10 games.
  19. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,780
    Murphy has pocket presence. It is a welcome change.
  20. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,840
    ESPN is suppose to give an update in a minute or so on Jeff Driskel. He has a broken fibula.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.