Anyone else think Anthony Davis is about to become scarey good?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFreak, Nov 8, 2013.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Scary, scary good.
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    He's pretty much already there. Especially with that brow of his. Good and scary.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    True, but like elite top 5 players good. He has a ridiculous skill set
  4. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    His stat line was pretty good tonight, 32/12 until you compare it to some of the other lines tonight. Durant with 37/8/7 and Love with 32/15/8. I'd take Davis over Love though for his much greater defensive impact.

If you value defense equally as much as offense then he's probably top 10 right now. Who's better? Definitely Durant, Lebron, Westbrook, Paul.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    Very much so. It was only a matter of time for him, but he is light years beyond last season--especially his offensive game. I never imagined he would be a 20-10-3 guy his second year in the league and now it is looking pretty darn likely.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Parker? George? Mello?

I just get the feeling he is going to have a huge year. Just a helluva talent. I can't remember who the poster on this board was who kept saying how overrated he was. Wish I could recall. Talk about an obvious talent. He's just scratching the surface at age 20.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    Haha was just thinking that. Madgator. Called him a future bust.
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Was it Madgator? I remember posting, asking him what is he watching? The guy had super star written all over him if anyone ever did.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    I think the big question with Davis has always been how much of a scorer he could become. Defensively, athletically, on the glass, he had it all. Then again, so did a guy like Camby (I always thought Camby was sort of Davis's "floor" as a player). But could he become a dribble drive threat out of the high post or a shooting threat off the pick and pop or a post threat on the blocks? Or would he carve out a spot as a face up mid range threat like Duncan? It was sort of hard to project his game offensively.

Interesting to note that according to his shot chart at NBA.com he is getting a ton of his shots at point-blank range in the paint. I suspect that is the result of having an All-Star point guard setting him up. As he expands the jumper and face up moves, he will only become more effective.
  10. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Undoubtedly, but he really has a better than average handle and exceptional body control which gets him to the rim on his own, too. Moreover, don't foul him and put him at the line, because it is an automatic 2.
    And he is still a fanatic shot blocker, great timing and a super quick leaper.
  11. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    No, no, and no. Parker and Melo don't play good enough D with the later being none at all, and George just isn't putting up the numbers that Davis is or will. Same for Harden with the D.

Really, the only sure fire thing in the NBA is an elite big man. If you place some talent around him, you're almost guaranteed a title. It's a shame Orlando never brought in enough for Howard, and he might not ever get back to where he was now that he has the talent.

Who's the last top flight big man to not win a title besides Howard? Ewing was not top flight. Robinson was too nice and saw huge number drop offs in the playoffs, but eventually got one with Duncan. Shaq got several, Duncan got several, Olajuwon got a pair, Kareem several, Wilt got his, Moses Malone got his.

I fully expect Davis to get at least one if they put some talent around him.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Davis is really a different player than those other big men, though I see what you're saying. Davis may one day be able to stretch his offensive game out to beyond the arc??? The guy has a legitimate handle and he can run, run, run.
    Lastly, I think Ewing was elite.
  13. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
  14. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    Definitely a superstar in the making. I'm happy for him because he comes across as a good guy
  15. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    Were it not for Coach Cal he would be a d league or overseas player at best.
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    He's a rare one. Anyone who's ever followed basketball should have seen that in his freshman season at UK. The guy pretty much forced every opposing team to scrap the game plan five minutes in.
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    He hit a couple of threes against us iirc, I know the college line is much shorter but I think it's only a matter of time. Plus you have to think he's still getting used to being that tall, a couple more years of coordination (not saying hes clumsy by any stretch) and strength training and look out.
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887

never said bust....what I said was that I didn't see a guy coming out of college who had the strength or refined post game to have immediate success as a rookie. That he would not be the automatic double double guy that most pinned him to be the moment he stepped on the court in the NBA like Tim Duncan. I said that he would struggle in the NBA until his body developed.

What I said exactly was that he would be a disappointment as a rookie and that it would take a few years for him to develop into a star.

I remember saying that he would shoot below 50% as a rookie. I also believe that I had said that I saw more long term potential in MKG.....

So as you can see, I know what I said and never once was it said he was going to be a bust overall, however I will admit that he is ahead of the curve that I figured he'd be on in year 2.

good for him.....means he put in the work in the off-season
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I remember it differently. "Bust" and "disappointment" were common terms and, no, they weren't tied to an early point in his career. Its not like we all haven't been wrong before... I used to think Joe Crawford was going to have a long NBA career.
  20. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    It's to early to tell. Every season players start out hot but then cool down. I am not saying he won't get there but 5-6 games is way to early to declare anything.