Anyone Catching What's Been Happening In Atlanta tonight?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 29, 2014.

1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +586
    I have a good friend in the Atlanta area. He says that a snow storm moved in today (Tuesday) around noon and the City of Atlanta advised that the schools close down in order to get the kids back home.
    Meanwhile, workers left their offices and tried to all get home at the same time.
    The snow was very wet and as the temps dropped... all the highways and interstate systems around Atlanta became very slick and icy.

School buses had to pull off the roads, traffic jams starting happening all over town. Several large semi trucks got into accidents on the interstates.... and all in all there has been over a thousand accidents in the Atlanta area just today!
    As of 12 midnight, all of the interstates (I-75, I-85, I-20, I-675 and I-575 are all still backed up.

People have been in their cars since one o'clock this afternoon! Many have run out of gas and are just sitting on the side of the road with no heat. The temps in Atlanta right now are around 21 degrees.
    Many have abandoned their cars, electing to try to walk home... or to try find someplace to go to the bathroom.
    Many may not even get home tonight, electing to stay anywhere they can. But, all the hotels are all booked up in Atlanta by those who were able to get off the road this afternoon... just find a warm play to stay for the evening. And these are people who live in Atlanta!

Lastly, 1,000's of kids are still at their schools because their buses had to turn back and get off the icy roads. Food has been brought into the schools for the kids to eat... with the kids being told that they will be sleeping at their schools tonight.
    Temps to drop down to the mid-teens this coming morning.

Try and catch the evening news or... the news tomorrow morning.
    According to my friend, this has never happened before in Atlanta.

If you live in Florida... you are a fortunate person.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Thanks for the information. I called my sister and she said it's bad, nothing like she's ever seen. Said she and her family are ok, but a lot of people are hurting as OP has said. Say your prayers for those folks.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,209
    Atlanta (CNN) -- [Breaking news update 12:25 a.m. ET Wednesday]

"About 50 Atlanta school children were still stuck on buses early Wednesday morning.

The students had gotten on buses to get home shortly after noon Tuesday, but treacherous road conditions coupled with gridlocked traffic has made it impossible.

Kimberly Willis Green, spokeswoman for Atlanta Public Schools, said she did not have an estimate on the number of children stuck in Atlanta schools overnight."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/28/us/winter-weather/
  4. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +953
    My friend's wife and child just got far enough to stay at a friend's house. well actually that was at eight, but she picked their daughter up at twelve. about eight hours and not even make it home ...that's rough
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,150
    I better turn on the news..
  6. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    Friend is a flight attendant with Delta. She left home at 1:45 for a 5 o'clock flight. Was in traffic until 9:00. 80% of the fights cancelled. She helped out on one of the ones that made it out.
  7. DeBigLeezard

Ratings Received:
    +586
    Checking in on the news this morning (10:00 am). After 18 hours...people still stranded in their cars.
    Out of gas, no heat... no food and water. Not to mention that folks have been getting out of their cars... in the middle of six lane interstates and relieving themselves... in 15 degree temps.o_O

Kids still stuck on their school buses. Some were able to get food & water delivered to them by the National Guard.
    My friend's neighbors had to ditch their car one mile from their home and walk the rest of the way. They could drive no further. Many people spent the night in Home Depots across the city.
  8. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,209
    Leezard, thanks for the updates.
  9. MeyerIsBack

MeyerIsBack Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +291
    I live about an hour and half north of Atlanta in the mountains. It usually takes me about 25 minutest to and from work. I left work at about 11:45 because the snow started coming down pretty hard. By the time I got down the highway to the secondary roads that lead to my house, the secondary roads had been shut down. I had to go about four miles south on the main hwy and then come back north on another and finally got to the turn off to my subdivision. I got stuck on a hill behind a line of cars. When they finally started going again I could not get any traction. I slowly inched my way down the hill and finally got to a spot where I could get some traction. I finally made it up the hill and to the gate of my subdivision. Unfortunately, they were not letting anyone through the gate because the roads were too bad. I got the last parking spot at the front gate and started walking. My subdivision is huge and my house is about two miles from the gate up and down mountain roads covered in ice. That was a fun walk. My car is still at the front gate and the sheriff's department is reporting that roads are even worse today as much of the snow has turned to ice. All in all it took me just over two hours to get home which put in a pretty foul mood. I then saw the news and realized how fortunate I was.

At the front gate there were a handful of people just trying to figure out what they were going to do. One was a lady probably in her late sixties that said her house was a 4.5 mile walk from the front gate. Another was a younger guy who said his wife was 38.5 weeks pregnant and ready to go at any time. It is amazing how bad 3 inches of snow can mess everything up.
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,403
  11. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,403
    Publix Supermarkets in Atlanta opening up their stores last night to stranded motorists to stay warm and get some sleep

[​IMG]
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
  13. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Yeah, it was bad.

I live 14 miles away from my work. I didn't leave work until just before 1:00 PM. I contemplated just walking home. Should have. Took me 9.5 hours to get home, and still had to walk the last 2.5 miles. Absolutely insane.

A buddy of mine didn't get off until 6:30 last night. He got home at 11:15 today.
  14. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,006
    i am so so so so sorry for the mess down there, and other points south of us. this has been virtually a snow free (odd..) winter for us. snow has passed to the east, to the west, to the north, and now to the south of us. in fact, the air is so dry, we're actually under some kind of fire watch til late tomorrow.
    wish we got some of that snow, being farther north, we're a bit more prepared.
    hoping that atlanta's population's troubles ease very very soon....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I followed up with my sister today, and her sister in law was able to make it to my sister's home 3 miles away, after being 8 hours in her car. Fortunately she was close enough to her, as the sister in law was about 15 miles from her own home. I don't know who kept the schools open yesterday, but they need to be fired.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Heard lot of "wow" stories by now. Work with a lady whose husband is a truck driver. He slid into a wreck and spent 12 hrs hanging out in a nearby home depot. Can't imagine. Good to be in S Fla.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. GatorRider

GatorRider Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +194
    Been in downtown Atlanta the past 3 nights. Even though I live inside the perimeter, I got a hotel room for a trade show at the Congress Center. Could not believe the 75/85 connector downtown. It was a parking lot; for hours. Got up this morning and in the lobby, there were people everywhere sleeping on the floor. At least they were warm and had restroom access. I'm one of the very fortunate ones. Chaos was on the roadways everywhere here....
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,696
    Live in MN now, so the wife and I are quickly learning about snow, ice, polar vortex, snow days, arctic blast days, snow tires, below zero temps, etc. Winter up here is more dry than that, though. Wintry mix + lowering temps is a BAD combo. We also have major infrastructure to deal with it. Snow plows are everywhere and they lay salt immediately.

Sister lives in Marietta. Brother in law spent 15 hrs on his drive home yesterday. Made it home at 10am this morning. Hope you and yours are safe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DeBigLeezard

Ratings Received:
    +586
    It is Thursday morning and according to my friend... there are several businesses still closed today.
  20. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,003
    Not all lucky in Fl. I've been stuck in Alabama for 2 days because the roads are closed to Pensacola. Both major bridges there are still shut down. Someone told me a semi truck drove off the I-10 bridge and the 2 guys haven't been found.

Typed from a deer stand in Hayneville Alabama....