Anyone brand new to this board would look at the threads and

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Sep 29, 2013.

1. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    The only thing corrosive on this forum is the incessant bitchiness toward other fans by the controlling types who can't stand that others don't share their opinion.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    This is the only thread I have or will open at least until Tuesday, precisely for the reason you state. Never mind that we went on the road with a backup quarterback making his first start, more than doubled Kentucky's yardage, and essentially put the game away before the half. If we aren't throwing it deep and ringing up big points, then some fans aren't satisfied.

Hell, we were put on "upset watch" by Herbstreit (for about the fourth time this season) and even Andreu predicted we would lose. Homer Andreu! Yet we won and won easily. You have SC barely beating UCF, Kiffin getting whacked, Brown having to fire a coordinator two games into the season after giving up 600 yards to BYU, and we are complaining about a pretty dominant victory.

That's why the prevalent "malaise" surrounding "Gator nation" is far worse than it was at Bama under Curry, at Ohio State under Bruce or Cooper, or at Michigan under Moeller: it isn't just that you have to win, but you have to do so by huge margins against everyone but the best teams, never mind the lack of offensive playmakers, the inexperience at quarterback, the venue, even the statistical dominance you have in the win. It has become so toxic that I suspect Foley will have to take a major gamble with his next hire, unless he gets unbelievably lucky by finding someone with unfettered confidence, an explosive offense, and the willingness to endure a vocal contingent that lives in the 90s. That's what we had in Meyer and even he couldn't handle it anymore. And we wonder why Florida can't keep assistants around and develop some continuity.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    how do you know what it was like at those programs when they fired those mediocre coaches?
  4. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    Hell, half the people that aren't new to these boards think that
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,265
    It's also unrealistic under Muschamp because it just won't happen. He will always want a smash mouth style offense because it's his personality. You can't clock control the way Oregon plays especially playing in the SEC. Oregon would not look as good as they do if they played in the SEC.
  6. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Oh, the irony. I find it interesting that those who constantly criticize everything under the sun concerning Gator football (the coaches, the players, the playcalls, more reasonable fans) get all whiny and defensive when their point of view is criticized. What's good for one is good for the other. :ninja:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    this is getting dizzy---a post criticizing people who criticize other people for criticizing others
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    The funny part, of course, is that most of us who don't have an axe to grind can engage in plenty of interesting discussions about football and tolerate plenty of disagreement. But the tendentious criticisms of the coaching staff after every game, win or lose, every personnel decision, every play call, every game plan, everything grow so tiresome because they are a persistent and unrelenting referendum on the coaching staff. It amounts to something you would read on Too Hot, where two sides gather around two mutually exclusive positions and refuse to grant even the most basic arguments.

For instance, I can grant that Muschamp and the staff have a very conservative philosophy, that they are reticent to throw freshmen into the fire, and that they possibly stint the development of some young kids in the process. That's entirely fair. But why is it so hard for the "other side" to grant that we are severely limited in playmakers offensively, which simply limits the confidence we have in playing aggressively at times, that because we lack the playmakers to overcome errors we are also resistant to allowing young and inexperienced players to make mistakes, and that the staff is entirely founded in reserving some of its offensive creativity and aggressiveness for games where we need it? We did that against A&M last year when we brought in special packages for Patton and Hines, we did it again against LSU with some specific jumbo packages and unbalanced lines, we did that with some of our vertical stuff against Miami two weeks ago, etc.
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    This isn't a job. We're not getting paid to toe the company line and keep our opinions to ourselves, opinions to the contrary notwithstanding.
  10. swampbabe

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Did I criticize anybody? I just made an observation. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    Because I remember? And none of them had as good a second season as Muschamp.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    that sounds like a criticism.
  13. swampbabe

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Nah, here's criticism: "Matt Jones isn't playing well if you subtract his runs for big yards." One of the most moronic posts I've ever read. :joecool:
  14. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,380
    What an asinine statement. What dolt said something dumb like that, I wonder?

:huh:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    Maybe we should worry a lot less about other people's posts, which we can't control, and more about our own which we can control. I see no point in starting a thread like this one. It's boring since Pumpers vs Nellies is a topic that has already been debated innumerable times. The forum is supposed to exist to discuss football, not to talk about the forum itself. And it can't be possible to say something about the topic that hasn't already been said a hundred different times in a hundred different ways.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    No one is criticizing anyone for posting, "I think we're doing just fine right now" or "I like our offensive system," etc. They may DISAGREE with it and explain why, which is an entirely different matter. But they don't start threads suggesting that the people who like the offense ought to shut up and call them "whiners" etc. But the other side does just that - and then pretends to be victim, like in your post.

It's a matter of being able to say "I have opinion X." And another saying "I don't agree, I have opinion Y and here's why." But do the people you're defending do that? No. They say, I'm tired of people expressing opinion X, they're a bunch of (insert slights, ridicule or name-calling). In other words, THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT OTHERS ESPRESSING A VIEW THEY DON'T LIKE RATHER THAN STATING THEIR OWN VIEW.

Are you capable of making that basic distinction?
  17. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    So we should only respond to our own posts? Interesting ...
  18. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Idiot.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,380
    Personal attacks are NOT allowed! :zombie::ninja::cry:
  20. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    True. But as soon as CERTAIN opinions (about the offense, etc.) are expressed, you get the usuall little mob attacking others FOR EXPRESSING IT. They're not content with expressing their own view. They are the constant problem. They feel they have a right to control what's being said.