Anyone at practice??

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,477
    Is there anyone on the forum at practice? please give a report please because it's illing me not being there!
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    There were only two or three ACLs.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  3. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    you have a sick sense of humor
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    The write up on the front page was fairly comprehensive. I know people assume that they're blowing smoke, but it sounds like Driskel and Robinson had excellent outings. Grier looked good throwing the ball and Westbrook is looking like our starting TE, running good routes and catching the ball.

No mention of RBs, nor should there be until they're in pads.

On defense, Gorman was all over the place and Hargreaves was having a great one-on-one battle with Dunbar throughout the day. Bostwick and Ivey were with the first unit DL today, but that's probably because of injuries. Apparently Bostwick has lost some weight, which will probably help him since he seems like a natural three technique guy.

What little talk there was about LBs sounds like we're a legit 4-2-5 set with Morrison and Ball the current starters, Taylor and Jarrad Davis backing them up. I'm sure that situation will be fluid.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,536
    Given ever player has two ACLs each I hope there were more than that.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +780
    I'm sure you meant "torn ACL." I will forever refer to last season's saga as "Bury my Heart at Torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament."
  7. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    Some of y'all really need to get on Twitter. Great for live updates.

Good people to follow for in-practice updates are: AlligatorArmy, Zach Abolverdi, and Gator Country.

Executive Summary: Our defense is nasty, especially the secondary (no surprise). Our offensive is putting it together slowly. Roper seems to have a good idea of how to use our guys and maximize their potential. Lots of quick, crisp routes for WRs, and he is obviously utilizing our RB talent. Valdez Showers in the slot is gonna be a great move.

Also, I hope/think we will never see a QB under center this year. I'm okay with it.
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Not me, I hope we see a ton of victory formations this year. 13 to be exact. It would be funny taking a knee from the shotgun:)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    As I predicted in a earlier thread of break out players this spring. Hawkins I believe will be a beast this year.

"@ZachAbolverdi:#UF redshirt freshman WR Marqui Hawkins just took an inside screen to the house. Mike Peterson told Brian Poole, "He's a natural."#Gators"
    • Like Like x 3
  10. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    I too have been on the Marqui band wagon. Looking forward to him dominating mere mortals.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Me too. I was surprised he didn't play last year...
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    Wasn't last year one big surprise?
  13. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    Remember, he got injured really early in fall practice. He was actually making a move and catching the coaches' eyes. Then he got slowed by an injury and it was redshirt land for him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Something tells me that some people ( cough, cough dalvin)
    Will have a much different opinion of the talent we have at our skill positions by seasons end. Champ has compiled a good stable of talent. Alvin bailey, Adam lane, Marqui hawkins, d-rob, the guys we brought in this year. Good times ahead fellas
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +581
    Today's practice summary:

Florida was back on the practice fields without pads Friday on a day when the gates were wide open for the UF coaching clinic. High school and small-time college coaches from around the state were on-hand as was Friday night's speaker, Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Florida worked in additional 11-on-11 drills and stepped up the intensity a bit before the pads come on Saturday at 12:50.

THUMBS UP: Tight ends were a black hole in the 2013 passing game, so the fact they were heavily involved in Friday's practice is a good sign. Clay Burton made a few catches, but it was Tevin Westbrook - three catches, 30 yards last season - who became a popular target. Westbrook made numerous catches splitting the defense and creating mismatches in the middle of the field. Overall, the passing game was much more effective Friday than it was in the opening practice. Without losing quality coverage by defensive backs, the Gators got better routes and throws out of quarterbacks for the most part.Jeff Driskel threw one perfect deep ball to Ahmad Fulwood, though it came against a walk-on cornerback, and Skyler Mornhinweg had one of his best practices as a Gator while splitting second-team snaps with Will Grier.

THUMBS DOWN: Practice opened in 11-on-11 drills that were fairly balanced with big plays by both defenders and receivers, but it all funneled down to the kicking game. Austin Hardin and Francisco Velez both missed field goals of roughly 40 yards during the drill. Hardin hit his field goals during separate field goal block drills, while Velez continued to struggle. It's difficult to get much of a read on front-line players when there are no pads involved, but Will Muschamp was not happy with his young defensive tackles. Caleb Brantley and Antonio Riles both had issues jumping offside. They were forced to run sprints - along with Joey Ivie - after practice.

FIVE WHO STOOD OUT

1. CB Jalen Tabor: He'll be firmly planted as the No. 2 cornerback by the end of spring if he keeps playing like this. Tabor was all over the place again today, breaking up a deep ball from Grier to Quinton Dunbar during one-on-ones and jumping numerous routes in 11-on-11 periods.
    2. WR Chris Thompson: The Gators need a speedy slot receiver, and Thompson looked like that guy today. Thompson caught everything, made plays underneath and deep and was a constant target for all three quarterbacks. How he stacks up when pads come on will be telling.
    3. TE Tevin Westbrook: A receiving tight end would certainly help Florida's current spread offense plans, and Westbrook flashed some ability today. He caught everything that was thrown to him and showed some ability to make plays.
    4. QB Skyler Mornhinweg: Give the oft-maligned backup some props. His talent level may not be SEC-caliber, but Mornhinweg made the necessary throws today and out-performed the hyped freshman he is competing with.
    5. LB Michael Taylor: The veteran inside linebacker rounds out the list again. Taylor hasn't had many chances to shine given the format, but he has been the Gators' best linebacker in coverage and has the best knowledge of the system.

THIS AND THAT: Safety Keanu Neal (hamstring), Linebacker Neiron Ball (knee) and Gideon Ajagbe (hamstring), did not practice Friday. … Kyle Christy was the more impressive of the Gators' two punters, booming two big kicks during the last period of practice. … Despite conflicting with the Gators' NCAA Tournament game against the Pittsburgh Panthers, Florida was unable to reschedule practice because of hosting the coaching clinic. - See more at: http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1623036#sthash.nwaHJBnJ.dpuf
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I think he would have been had it not been for a injury he suffered. He red-shirted.
  17. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +662
    It's tweaked a knee not acl tear. Didn't ya'll learn anything from last year? How long must I put up with you? :)
  18. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Following spring practice long enough, you learn to recognize a few patterns. If a TE breaks out, it's often for real, especially if it's someone like Westbrook, one of the biggest UF TEs to come along in a while. When a WR breaks out of nowhere, he usually goes back to nowhere. Thankfully, the breakout receivers were the guys we expected them to be. Hawkins of all of them is meant to be on the field a lot. I saw clips of him going against Robinson in high school. He was big and physical. He showed up gimpy and about 177 pounds last summer. I knew that wasn't the guy we signed. He just needed a great rehab and S&C program to get him back to where he can be the player he's meant to be.

I've been a fan of Chris Thompson all along. I'm always more confident when a Gainesville kid gets an offer. That means he's been scouted extensively. If I'm not mistaken, he's the fastest player in that class, with the possible exception of Hargreaves. Sounds like he's quickly adapting to the position he was meant to play.

Tabor is a bit of a surprise. I know he was supposedly the best at his position last year, but I'm surprised that he's locking up the spot opposite Hargreaves and not just locking it up, but giving one of our most reliable receivers a run for his money on every play.

The front seven is another story. You just expect everybody to get a little better, except for the guys who are injured, which is half the defense this time of year. So you expect the uninjured guys to make a real impact in the spring then try to hang on to some part of the depth chart when everyone else gets out of rehab. I think we all know who the starters will be. The key to turning this team around will be the depth at every DL and LB position. You have to play four quarters of great defense when you don't know what your offense can do.

Haven't heard a thing about RBs, but they're not in pads yet, so it doesn't matter. Even when they get pads on, it doesn't seem to matter. It's like WR, somebody way down the depth chart makes a huge impression, then disappears. Go figure! I don't think it's as cut and dried as it appears. The new offense will make some of our RBs more effective and others less effective. A really effective zone blocking scheme seems to favor Taylor. Some of the other backs will have trouble picking out their own holes against SEC defenses.

Let's put some pads on these boys and see what happens next.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I just can't get excited about Westbrook. He looked stiff at FNL when I first saw him and hasn't done anything to make me think different since then.
  20. ltraz

ltraz Member

Ratings Received:
    +107
    I don't expect him to be a game changer, but if he catches 2 balls a game for 20 yards it will change our offense.
    • Agree Agree x 2