Anybody else disappointed by the Kindle Paperwhite?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by fastsix, Oct 22, 2012.

1. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    It looked so good in the pictures and reviews:

[​IMG]

But the reality is that the page is not uniformly white, esp. at the bottom. Even Amazon has come out and admitted as much. And the one I have, and apparently many others too, is worse than the picture Amazon posted. The blotchiness at the bottom is much more noticeable and I see it in most indoor lighting conditions. The rest of the screen is not evenly lit either, although it is much less noticeable the further away from the bottom you look. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not. Amazon would have been better served by just being honest about it from the start so everyone knew what to expect.

[​IMG]
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    I won't say that I love my Ipad here, lol.
  3. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    I don't want an iPad. If I did, I'd buy one. I already have a Macbook Air and an iPhone and between the two of them they do everything I could think of using an iPad for.

I want an e-ink device designed specifically for reading. If Apple made one of these I'd buy it, but they don't.
  4. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Just trying to inject some humour. Sorry you didn't get it.

Carry on.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
  6. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    For anyone who doesn't know, the Kindle Paperwhite isn't like the Kindle Fire. The display on the Paperwhite is E ink, which is designed to mimic a printed page as closely as possible.

http://www.eink.com/technology.html

It's supposed to be more like reading a book, than reading a computer screen, and it's very energy efficient so the battery lasts up to 8 weeks. E Ink is nothing new, but the Paperwhite introduced an integrated lighting system so you could read it in the dark (remember, it's like a book, so you need a light to see it in the dark). It's a great idea, but the lighting is not uniform like it is shown to be in the advertising. It's not horrible, but it is disappointing that it so obviously doesn't live up to the claims.

Amazon will give me a refund, exchange, whatever - I'm not worried about that. I'm just disappointed that it wasn't what I expected. Some people are claiming their Paperwhites are perfect, so I'll wait a couple weeks to let them go through their current inventory and give it another shot.
  7. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I bought a third generation kindle last year and bought one of the cases for it that has the built in book light. That works great for me and would probably be much cheaper than getting the paperwhite.
  8. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    My mom has a Kindle Touch that I gave her for Christmas last year that she doesn't use, so I'll probably get that over the holidays. The thing about the Paperwhite is that it's so close to being what I want. I've read a couple books on it already and I can live with it, but I'm going to try at least 1 return to see if maybe the one I got is sub par.

I suspect the next generation Kindle will be when they finally the integrated light in. When it's well lit, it's really nice because it just serves to make the background white, it's in dim light where you notice the shadows.
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +716
    E-ink is much easier on the eyes. I have an iPad and a Nook and the Nook is much better for reading for long lengths of time.