Any Suggestions to fix the Offensive line:

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RD_gator, Oct 21, 2013.

1. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    You can't techniclly oversign anymore, correct? But you can still over commit, sign the limit and gray shirt the rest?
  2. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Yeah, I used the word "oversign" loosely - do whatever Bama does, they go right up to the the edge of the rules on this & lean over as far as they can to get what they need.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think he is just talking about processing. If a player isnt good Bama ships them out. Talks them into transferring or gives them a medical hardship and Bama does oversign
  4. faber

faber Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Hire Zook

Hire Ron Zook as recruiting coordinator! He is by far the best recruiter we ever had! Remember 2006 and 2008, the majority of that talent was recruited by big Ron. He is working at a bank, wasting his real talent, Wil go get him!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    I don't see us fixing anything this year. But we need to bring in 5 OL in the 2014 class, and hope that the three freshmen from this year, as well as T. Brown, develop into good players for next season.
  6. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +416
    I have noticed that since the LSU game, and I have been losing my mind screaming at the t.v., it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when they are going to snap it. Sams the DE from Mizzou was watching the guard instead of the center on almost every snap. I even mentioned it in the chat room when I was watching the game and others had not noticed it until I pointed it out. I wondered if anyone else had seen it.
  7. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    Why dont we handcuff the Oline together, so we they can all run up the middle together.
  8. newdad

newdad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    This, at some point we have to question the coaching.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    There are definitely depth issues on the OL that are in part inherited from the prior regime, and exacerbated by injuries and off field issues.

But whether it is coaching in technique, scheme, player evaluation / position assignment, or some combination, there are also clearly serious issues with the OL coaching that need to get fixed.

Bye week is time for honest assessment, and making adjustments. Not expecting miracles, but hope we see a step in the right direction for the cocktail party.
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    The OL has to get back to basics. 5 lineman account for the 4 DL plus the Mike. Slide protection out so your OT isn't responsible for blocking 2 rushers. Stop pulling. The guards for the slow developing power run that looks like a counter. Every time we line up offset with a 7 yard back, we run it. It hasn't produced since LSU last year but we still run it constantly. Would rather see the wildcat. The pulling guards are getting beat to the spot because we are predictable with the run blocking. We are trying to cut of the 3 with a OT when the 3 is reading the guard on the pull. This is why Mizzou was in our backfield so much this year and last.

That counter play we ran against LSU last year seemingly 25 times is so telegraphed. Watch the film. We get squat because we run out of that formation only.

Chipping with a back slows down rushers as well. Sticking a shoulder into the ribs of a de several times a game slows them down a lot.

Quit all this finesse and directional bullshit we do. Put a hat on a hat and at worst we should get is a stalemate.

Running more jet sweeps to the outside with receivers and toss sweeps and put our bigger back (or KT) outside against smaller tacklers instead of 300 lbers where they get stamped.

Quicker throws on slants and fades. We have a tall receiver and that jump ball is a 50/50 ball. Slants are damn near undefendable and will castrate the pass rush. Once that stops/slows, you have to take shots down the field.

While negative plays are down this year, it seems we just scheme to get 3 yards instead of ripping chunks of yardage. That philosophy doesn't work and I can't think of another team that does this. You have to play near perfect ball to pull it off and when you have penalties and turnover, it outs you having to get chunks of yards back and our O has no confidence to get it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    copy what alabama does with their Oline---recruiting, training, development, coaching--it works. They replace nfl quality linemen every year and don't miss a beat--they will win title #4 in 5 years.
  12. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Get a new OL coach.
    Get a new philosophy:
    This getting the best 5 players regardless of position is beyond retarded. It isn't even worth a discussion at this point.
    If I were coach, the only question would be RT.
    C. Harrison
    LG T.Moore
    RG Max Garcia
    LT Hump
    RT Kohene? or T. Brown.
  13. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    #1 Stop recruiting tweeners like humphries. I dont care how many stars behind their name. Give me a break.
  14. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    Add in a moving pocket from time to time and I agree 100%.