Any Suggestions to fix the Offensive line:

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RD_gator, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +933
    Use the bigger tight end to help out the tackles. Backs chipping
    on the way to a pass pattern.

But first get rid of the guard tap. A better system to handle noise

has to start there
  2. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    When the spring game became a scrimmage because of lack of OL.....I knew we were in trouble this year.
  3. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I don't get why everyone assumes this is a purely a talent issue instead of a schematic issue.

I don't think our players are as poor as our blocking schemes, telegraphed snaps, predictable play calls, and refusal to make adjustments or add additional blockers.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    It's pretty obvious to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    So when Tyler Moore is getting beat around the edge all day the refusal to put a TE over there to help or pound a run through that hole that is wide open because the DE is going wide every time is purely a talent problem?

Ya, our guys up front don't look to good, but there are plenty of things that a good coach could do to have help out the oline or at least slow down the pass rush. We don't do any of it. We just keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ravishing

ravishing VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    It's the system!!!!!!! Whether it's Pease or Muschamp handicapping Pease, the system is flawed. You can't base a system on always being the biggest, baddest team around that will just overpower people and wear then down and every play is within 5 yards of the LOS. You can't base a system on no injuries, no penalties and no turnovers for it to work. This is college football and most of our guys are still teenagers - they are going to turn the ball over, make mental mistakes, etc. Our plays are predictable and we as fans know what play is coming just by looking at our alignment. DC's must watch our film and laugh their arses off. Other teams can put all 11 defenders in the box, because their is no threat of us throwing over the top and challenging their safeties. Every pass play is within 5 yards of the LOS. You put 11 offensive guys and 11 defensive guys with 10 yards of the LOS and there is no room to make plays. Our OL certainly has it's defeciencies, but any competent OC would change up his plan to compensate for those defencies. There is no reason to have 5 WR receiver sets and leave the QB a sitting duck. Always keep a RB and/TE to chip and block and be used as an outlet. Throw quick slants, WR screens, short crossing routes, back shoulder throws, etc. to get the ball out of Murphy's hands quickly. Put in our receiving TE's, that never play because they can't block, for seam routes, quick outs, etc. Look at these MAC teams (Akron, Toledo, Miami of Ohio, etc.) that come to Gainesville with undersized OL and mediocre skill guys and they have a system that gets the ball down the field against us, one of the best defenses in the country. Our OL are bigger and better athletes than those teams have. We have the athletes, contrary to popular belief, to have a good offense. They just have to stop trying to be Bama and try to win offensively because our guys are bigger, badder and were more highly ranked and get some schematic advantage play calls to get our guys open down field and still portect our QB and allow him to make plays. Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Good pts. SOS did this against fla st. In 96/97...let their end go wide & sent Taylor through the gap. Lack of O adjustments & lack of any quick hitting plays to counter blitzes is a head scratcher.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,705
    Do they really do this? Is this a Brent Pease innovation or what? Do any other teams do it? I don't know that much about football, I just watch it, but even to me this sounds stupid.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    A draw play might have been a good idea there.
  10. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I was agreeing with you.
  11. malbaker86

malbaker86 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Problem is that we don't have a tight end that can flare out and catch a pass or exploit the seams so that the front 7 won't be as eager to blitz and attack.
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,528
    Someone else mentioned this a week or 2 ago so I won't take credit for it, but it became painfully obvious Saturday. I think it's to help with crowd noise and I've seen other teams do it, but it's not very effective. When you wait til 3-4 seconds left on the play clock (as someone mentioned in this thread) there's only some many moments left to snap the ball anyhow, so it may not be that big of a deal but there's got to be a better method.
  13. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,311

Avoid icebergs.
  14. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +801
    Didn't Westbrook actually catch a pass I think against Arky...not sure we have tried to throw one to him since or at least I know he hasn't had an opportunity to drop one after that.
  15. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Well put.

Our O-Line isn't very good (or even average), but the predictability of our play-calling, combined with terrible blocking schemes and unbelievably slow adjustments just magnifies it.
  16. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,705
    Wasn't Joker OC at UK before he became head coach? Surely he must have some suggestions to help fix the O-line. Of course he may be told to mind his own business, which is coaching the WRs.
  17. raquetclub

raquetclub Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    Quick hitting routes, tempo to tire out the opposing defense, misdirection, running plays away from the weak side, pulling.
  18. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,705
    Murphy doesn't have time for quick hitting routes.
  19. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    They absolutely have to stop that guard tapping the center on the snap count.. literally the dumbest possible thing we could do short of allowing the D in our huddle and telling them the PLAY and the SNAP.

Tyler Moore is brutal.. would like to see Silberman at tackle... or since OT is so weak, but Koehne in at C and see what harrison can do at OT. There has to be a change/shuffle for sure though.
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,311
    Do what Missou did.

Stand there and throw quickly.

Worked for them.