Any runners here?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by jeffh11, Apr 19, 2014.

1. jeffh11

jeffh11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I feel like most people here are more into weight lifting, strength training, etc.. And runners out there?

I ran my first half marathon this morning, and was wondering if others here have done so, and how they maintained their fitness level afterwards.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,509
    I run, but only because I am doing a full ironman in Texas May 17. Been averaging 5 or so hours running per week since January, with runs over an hour being at low HR zones. Did 3 hours last night at 10 min/mi pace. Slow and steady is my motto.

I mix in a couple circuit type workouts 2 days a week to maintain some strength training. Primarily lunges, squats, pushups, lat pulls and planks.

After the race, I dont plan to do much of anything other than lift weights and swim a few days per week. Oh, and drink beer.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. StuckUpNorthGator

StuckUpNorthGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    I keep it simple and just run as much as I have time for. I haven't run any half marathons but have seriously thought about doing a few. I run a lot of 5 and 10K events. As for my training I usually just run 4-5 days a week and anywhere from 5 to 10 miles depending on how I feel. I like to get at least 25-30 miles in a week. Sometimes I do speed work too. It seems to help me keep my times fast.
  4. jeffh11

jeffh11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Thats cool, yea I think I am just gonna run what I have time for these next few months. I have several half's I wanna do in the fall... I am going to do one in Savannah, GA if any Gators here wanna join?
  5. hikenrunedugator

hikenrunedugator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Hence the run....in the hikenrunedugator! ;)
    The lovely mountains of NC....
  6. domgator

domgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    I have been a runner for 35+ years and have run every distance competitively from half mile to marathon. I am 51 now and my last marathon was in 1999 in Paris. When I race now I mainly focus on 5K-15K. I run about 3 times a week and do Insanity in between run days and usually take 1 day off. I'm old, I need recovery time :)
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I have only done 1 5k, I do run 5 miles a day on the treadmill at the gym after lifting but this is more to get the weight off of me. :p