Any runners here?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by jeffh11, Apr 19, 2014.

1. jeffh11

jeffh11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    I feel like most people here are more into weight lifting, strength training, etc.. And runners out there?

I ran my first half marathon this morning, and was wondering if others here have done so, and how they maintained their fitness level afterwards.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,151
    I run, but only because I am doing a full ironman in Texas May 17. Been averaging 5 or so hours running per week since January, with runs over an hour being at low HR zones. Did 3 hours last night at 10 min/mi pace. Slow and steady is my motto.

I mix in a couple circuit type workouts 2 days a week to maintain some strength training. Primarily lunges, squats, pushups, lat pulls and planks.

After the race, I dont plan to do much of anything other than lift weights and swim a few days per week. Oh, and drink beer.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. StuckUpNorthGator

StuckUpNorthGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,189
    I keep it simple and just run as much as I have time for. I haven't run any half marathons but have seriously thought about doing a few. I run a lot of 5 and 10K events. As for my training I usually just run 4-5 days a week and anywhere from 5 to 10 miles depending on how I feel. I like to get at least 25-30 miles in a week. Sometimes I do speed work too. It seems to help me keep my times fast.
  4. jeffh11

jeffh11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Thats cool, yea I think I am just gonna run what I have time for these next few months. I have several half's I wanna do in the fall... I am going to do one in Savannah, GA if any Gators here wanna join?
  5. hikenrunedugator

hikenrunedugator Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Hence the run....in the hikenrunedugator! ;)
    The lovely mountains of NC....
    • Like Like x 1
  6. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    I have been a runner for 35+ years and have run every distance competitively from half mile to marathon. I am 51 now and my last marathon was in 1999 in Paris. When I race now I mainly focus on 5K-15K. I run about 3 times a week and do Insanity in between run days and usually take 1 day off. I'm old, I need recovery time :)
  7. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,390
    I have only done 1 5k, I do run 5 miles a day on the treadmill at the gym after lifting but this is more to get the weight off of me. :p
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,819
    I miss running but my knees just can't take it. I do elliptical and inclined speed walking on a treadmill. Briefly got into rowing but my new gym doesn't have a rowing machine.

That said, I recently read about a running exercise that can be done once a week as part of an interval workout that intrigues me. You run 800 meters as fast as you can run that distance without slowing down. Rest a minute, then run 400 meters at the same or a faster pace. Rest another minute, then sprint 200 meters to finish the workout. There's a small college a few blocks from my home with a 400 meter track. I might give it a try. I'll be sure to take a selfie if I vomit at the end.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. boliviagator

boliviagator Junior

Ratings Received:
    +527
    I love to run trails....have run several ultras, countless marathons, half marathons, 10k and 5k races....... I'm not fast, but very determined. :)

What a great excuse and way to see our great land!

Training now for a trail marathon at 13k ft here in Bolivia.
  10. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    Interval work is great for a quick, calorie burning workout that will help you improve your speed and endurance. It also breaks up the pattern of the same old run every day. One I like to do is a pyramid run. I warm up for a mile then run 1 minute at 5K race pace, jog very slow for 1 minute, run 2 minutes at 5K race pace and jog for 2 minutes, then 3 minutes at 5k pace and jog for 2 minutes then 4/2 and 5/2 then back down the pyramid 4/2, 3/2, 2/2 & 1 minute then run 1 mile warm down. You will log about 6 miles and it goes by quick and you will feel like you really exerted yourself.
  11. kalaniocc

kalaniocc GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,665
    i used to sprint- the 200m, 400m, and 4x4 relay. i enjoy running 2-3 miles though, about 3-4 days a week. i want to get in to running more.
  12. oneatatime

oneatatime Senior

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    I have been racing for more than 30 years and now down to just 5Ks and 10Ks, but I still love it.
  13. obblooded

obblooded All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +940
    Recovery question for the runners.

I love to run. Put the headphones on and pound pavement for hours, but in the last 6 months I've been having trouble with my calfs cramping real bad. Even when they don't lock up, my calf muscles are very tight and sore for days, even painful just to walk..
    My question is are there any recovery tips aside from lots of stretching, massaging icyhot, ibuprofen, Epsom salt baths and a potassium supplement?
  14. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +3,151
    You dont happen to be on a statin drug for cholesterol do you?
  15. obblooded

obblooded All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +940
    Nope no meds at all, healthy 33 year old with excessive calf cramping
  16. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +3,151
    I had bad cramping due to statins. Seems like your issue might be related to footwear/running style.
    The folks at places like fitniche or other specialty running store could help.
  17. navygator93

navygator93 Sophomore

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I have run most of my life up to 50 mile distance (I also cycle, kayak, swim, tennis, hunt, fish....). In my early fifties now, I try to do most of my running on trails as it is much easier on my body.
    Years ago, I was noticing my recovery time after long runs was becoming excessive. Several of the ultra guys I listened to on podcasts advocated a whole food plant based diet to substantially reduce recovery time.
    Gave it a try and it worked like a champ for me. I went from two day recovery on 20+ mile runs to being able to do 20 in the morning and 10 at night.
    While I don't run as much, I stuck to the WFPB diet.
  18. PoeticFuse

PoeticFuse Gravity sucks Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I used to be addicted to running. Great way to relieve stress and get things off my mind. I used to do 7 miles a day... Really did a lot of damage to my knees. Every day I wake up I "pop" my knees. I'm 32.