Any free-form or community radio enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Oct 28, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,857
    I'm still looking for the perfect "fix." My first taste of this sort of thing was the Underground Pipeline in Gainesville in the early 80s. It was only available on cable, so they catered to an audience intrepid enough to hook up their cable to their stereos. Since we were already pirating our cable from a neighbor, hooking up the cable to the stereo was no big deal. That station was awesome.

Through the ensuing decades I've been a loyal listener to college stations WRAS (GA State), WREK (GA Tech) and WRFG (Radio Free Georgia) in Atlanta, WMNF in Tampa and KDHX in St. Louis. I currently listen to Indie Pop Rocks and a couple of west coast stations online, and still listen to and financially support KDHX, even though I moved away from St. Louis 10 years ago. Strangely enough, I've never found a community or college station in Chicago that I can get in my car or that is better than the online stations I already listen to, but they do have the best commercial station I've ever listened to, WXRT.

Was wondering what else is out there that I might be missing. I also wonder how many of you central, west coast Floridians listen to WMNF. That was a real treasure in Tampa. The program director lived across the alley from me, so I got involved in the station and got to know some of the air staff there. It's considered one of the best in the country. The public/community affairs programming was especially good.

$10 says this thread dies within a day, but it's a big thing to me. I'm always on the lookout for new sources of music, news and public affairs. If I get two good responses, I'll be happy.
  2. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    WMNF in Tampa delivered all the alternative music I grew to love. First heard Soundgarden on MNF. It was Gun off of Louder Than Love. New Order, Meatpuppets, Minutemen, Husker Du, etc, etc etc. Such salvation from the shitty hair band and pseudo-new wave bullshit that was dominating the airwaves the airwaves back then. Then, it was classic jazz, not the sailboat and brunch jazz you here on commercial FM. It was on MNF and WUSF that my love for Charlie Parker grew. But it was Clint Eastwood who started it with his outstanding bio-pic, Bird.
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,857
    I missed out on a lot of the early twang scene while I was living in Chicago, but instantly got immersed in it listening to MNF and going to the shows they promoted at Skippers. Loved going to Tropical Heatwave every year. Went to a big all Texas festival they sponsored on the bay in St. Pete right before I moved back to the midwest. Can't remember everyone who was there, but was blown away by Anson Funderburke, Bob Walser, Robert Earle Keen and Alejandro Escovedo. I've since become a devoted fan of Alejandro's. Probably seen him a dozen times since then. He sometimes recognizes my wife and I when we see him after a show. Alejandro loves Tampa and WMNF.
  4. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,119
    This doesn't apply to current times, but you may have missed out on THE original underground radio station of all time....KAAY in Little Rock, AR. Back in the 70's, with them being 50K watts clear channel, they could be heard in most places in the country and had the infamous "Beaker Street" show with Clyde Clifford from 11pm-2am 7 nights per week. Many obscure artists were exposed on that show and it became a cult mecca for those of us who didn't care about getting enough sleep on a school night--screw the sleep, we were going to listen to music NO ONE had ever heard before.

If you ever get the chance to dig up some of the old files and sound clips from Beaker Street/KAAY from the 70s---you will be grabbing a taste of music history.
  5. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Saw Alejandro Escovedo at Heatwave a couple of years ago and he brought it big time!