Any easy ways to detect mold?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Pasco08, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +179
    I am pretty sure my girlfriends apartment has mold every time i leave her place its hard to breath and such. Not to mention lately she is always getting sick respiratory type sickness that's why i am thinking it is mold. Any ways to detect it? The leasing management folks won't do anything.
  2. Ceal8ter

Ceal8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    I believe if you threaten to call the health department, your property manager will come around. Otherwise you have to call someone which will cost you a few hundos.
  3. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +673
    Check corners near water like the bathroom and you also can take some things off like light switch covers and use a flashlight to see the area inside.

If there is a roof leak there may be spots on the ceiling or if you have an attic, you can go up there and look.

The shower curtains and that general area can show signs also. Turn on the ac and dry the place out with that and other systems to lower the humidity in the place as mold need water.
  4. gator421

gator421 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    Be wary of calling an independent source. There are a lot of scam artists out there when it comes to mold. I'd call the health department. Screw the property manager.
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    You can pick up a do-it-yourself mold detection kit at your local hardware store like this one. It will tell you if you have mold or not. The issue is what kind of mold. And for that, you have to send it out to their lab for inspection.

Or, if you are close to a university, you can always contact their microbiology department and tell them you bought a mold kit and want to know if they can analyze it for you and tell you what you have. A good department will make it a project for some students and do it for you for free.