Any card/memorabilia collectors?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bakaduin, Jun 2, 2018.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    I appreciate you letting me know. I'd make a fool out of myself walking in there without any knowledge. Now that I'm looking at it, the card isn't in perfect condition. The bottom edge is sorta worn.
  2. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +275
    I collected for many years, mostly 50s forward. My mom didn’t throw out my cards, but did throw out my comic books,some of which are now valuable. I stopped serious collecting when things got crazy in the 90s. I didn’t care a lot about condition, just wanted the cards. I have complete baseball 56-60 and 72-90, and complete football 54-62, and more modern. Got a 48 Joe D, Warren Spahn, and Johnny Mize. Scattered memorabilia, like a program I bought from the 1960 Final Four which I attended
    • Like Like x 1
  3. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,533
  4. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,533

A few years ago I was reading an article about (I think it was) Prince Fielder who was a collector of only PSA 10 cards.....supposedly they are ultra rare and make the values skyrocket
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    Yea, I went into a local card store (Ideal Baseball Cards) just to show the guy what I had and also because I was curious to see what they had. The guy was pretty straight up and said they weren't worth much of anything.
  6. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    They just produced cards in such high numbers in the 90s that they made them virtually worthless besides high graded rookie cards or some inserts.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    I used to collect in the late 80's up to mid 90s. I have several Bonds, Griffey Jr rookie cards and other guys from that era. I have some pretty cool signed baseballs: Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, Harmon Killebrew, Pete Rose, Don Lemon, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine and many more. Not sure what any of them might be worth these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    The Don Lemon is probably pretty rare. I have a Chris Matthews signed baseball ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    I have a lot of cards that should be worth a lot of money, but they aren't.

I convinced my dad to buy a whole case of Skybox cards the first year they came out because I thought they would be worth a ton. It was the new kid on the block. Huge waste. I still have an un-opened box, but I am pretty sure it's worthless.
  10. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    One thing I will say about card collecting is that a card is only worth what someone will pay for it. The really rare ones will always get huge $$$ but the middle of the pack and lower end usually are worth less than what the books say.
  11. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    LOL yeah I meant Bob of course! A few others I have are Reggie Jackson, Lou Boudreau, Ralph Kiner and Luke Appling.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NWGaGator

NWGaGator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +216
    I got interested in collecting cards around 1987--lousy time to start. I still have a bunch of stuff from 87-90 which isn't worth a whole lot. I do have some nice 87-90 sets (Topps, Fleer, Score) which I'd love to sell if I could just get back what I paid for them (around $20 each). PM me if anyone is interested; my wife and I have retired to Gainesville and live just north of town.

My favorite card is my 1964 Mel Stottlemyre rookie card. It's not in mint shape or anything like that, but I grew up in New Jersey and was a huge Yankee fan and he was my favorite player growing up. I've also got a set of Mickey Mantle replica cards that I really like. I realize they're not originals, but they look the same and they remind me of my misspent youth.

It's too bad that the card companies ruined the hobby by overproducing. Greed is the bottom line, I guess. But like many of you, I just buy what I like and I don't worry anymore about value. Oh, I almost forgot--I do collect cards of Gator basketball players, but only in Gator uniforms. I've got some old stuff of Moten, big Dwayne (RIP), Mike Miller and others, and a bunch of duplicates if anyone would like to trade. Got some Maxwell cards too, but I don't really want those.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    Drove past an actual baseball card store in Boca last night. Will have to go in one day.
  14. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    I have a lot of Gator autograph cards. I also have a collection of Tiger Woods, including the GSV, graded in mint condition. I also have an unopened box of GSV from 1998. I have his rookie Upper Deck in PSA 10. Those are worth a lot, so I keep them stored. I have many many cards, but my favorite is a 1960 Koufax. I was a kid and got my dad to buy it at 11 doliars. A the that time, he didn't know...

To add. I have a Brett Farve rookie in a Mexican Topps issue. I still have unopened packs from way back when. Yep...still unopened.
  15. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    These are all Gator autographed cards. I have a lot of them.

Attached Files:

16. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    I guess everyone wants to see this...it's the best Gator you can get and it was limited.

Attached Files:

17. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    I like this card. It's Mike, but it is a low number of production. And it's graded. Only 25 of these in existence.

Attached Files:

18. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Here is Tiger...

Attached Files:

19. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    I have more Tiger and many more Gators. I always got the autographed official card from the makers. Anyone through the 90's is there. I have about 70 autographed cards of Gators.
  20. gator2001_1

gator2001_1 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Just so I can say...here are three hall of famers that I have signed personalized.
    Franco.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018