Any card/memorabilia collectors?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bakaduin, Jun 2, 2018.

1. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    As it is the offseason and I just got some new cards for my collection I thought I'd post to ask if anyone else shared in the hobby?

My kiddo and I like to collect basketball/football cards and in particular I work on memorabilia for my office.

The hobby is a lot different then from when I was a kid buying dollar packs with my allowance. I focus mostly on basketball and all the autographed balls/jerseys were in person.

@gatorsportscards • Instagram photos and videos
    • Like Like x 4
  2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    Interesting topic that's now got me digging through childhood stuff. I used to buy cards and trade them with one of my friends. I've kept about 200 cards. Mostly basketball cards, a few baseball cards and mostly players from the 90s era. I think some of these may actually end up being a lot of money so I've kept the most valuable ones in individual cases. Is there a good site where I can check the current value of the cards?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,514
    I have a lot of cards from 60s and 70s, but nothing recent. Have football, baseball, basketball and hockey type cards. Even saved some old Carvel sports cards when they distributed with ice cream.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    I used to. Have a ton of cards that used to worth a good amount. They saturated the market with a different type of card (Upper Deck, Panini) and now it's too expensive to buy packs and boxes. It's all about pieces of basketball and jerseys and flashiness. My most expensive card is Wayne Gretzky rookie card.

I collect bobble-heads and autographs when I can, but wouldn't pay much for this stuff anymore.
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,115
    Very cool collection! Nice hobby to share with your son.
  6. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    A lot of 90s stuff was way overproduced and not worth anything but there are definitely some of the rarer parallels (especially of MJ) that have picked up in prices. Best place to look at comparisons are probably either COMC.com or ebay.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441

You are right and Panini just keeps making more and more sets each year diluting the autograph/jersey card market even more. They've got some boxes going for over a grand and the return on your box is lucky to be 100 or 200 dollars. I don't break a ton of wax but just decided to set a goal of getting as many cards from one set that I particularly like and trying to get one auto of every Gator player in a Gator uniform that they make.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +280
    If you want to cry, then look them up on Beckett. Your cards are probably worth nothing. Card grading, over production, too many inserts really destroyed the trading card industry.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,514
    Just heard a Derek Jeter rookie card sold for $100,000. Rookie cards for future HOFers and those from 50s and before have greatest value
  10. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    I will try and cry about my Grant Hill cards being worth nothing now.
  11. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +280
  13. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    I've kept it in a casing since I bought it which was many, many years ago. If I took it to a card shop, how much you think they'd give me?
  14. g8rnc

g8rnc GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,782
  15. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,393
    I went through the majority of my cards last night and gonna bring 4 to a reputable card store here in Cincinnati. Besides the Shaq card worth $500, I have a Barry Bonds one listed for $45, Garnett rookie for $21, Nolan Ryan for $30, and Patrick Ewing for $10. I've never been to a pawn shop so I figure the guy will probably rob me but I'll at least have the online site for reference.
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,632
    Usually that price listed is the retail price, Beckett used to list a high and low; similar to Kelly blue book, trade in value vs. direct sale price. I wouldn’t expect to get but maybe half those prices (they want to make a profit on whatever they buy from you). definitely wouldnt go to a pawn shop unless you’re desperate for cash. You’ve had them this long, maybe try takin your time and selling them directly to another collector (online?) probably still won’t get the max value but will be closer cutting out the middle man
    • Like Like x 1
  17. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,324
    Unfortunately, when I entered Grad School at Berkeley in 1970, my foolish mother threw out all my Comic Books & Baseball Cards which included the entire 1957 Championship Yankee team, Will Mays, Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks Rookie cards, among many other real collectibles. Comic Books included the Original Green Lantern issue and many other early editions.

That destroyed my interest. OUCH!!!!!

Cards used to come with bubble gum in the Ole Days.
  18. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Honestly it is pretty easy to sell anything worthwhile on Ebay and only lose 10%. That Shaq card is only listed at 500 because it is graded a 10 (and it hasn't sold yet so may be listed too high). A similar Shaq but graded to 9 sold for 28 dollars. The raw ones are selling for 99 cents.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. g8rnc

g8rnc GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,782
    On second though I’ll just leave them to collect dust a little while longer.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Not trying to beat up on you, but you’d probably get offered $5-$10 if you’re lucky. That card is a 10 gem mint. That’s rare, cards right out of the box are typically a PSA 9. So even if your card has been in a case all these years you’d be lucky if it’s a 9.

If you want to have any shot at getting decent money you’d have to get the card graded.
    • Like Like x 1