Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Antifa - it’s too bad that we have gotten to a place where a law like this is needed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by DaveFla, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:03 PM.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Antifa is the same today as the klan was in the 50’s - both are/were despicable

Am I surprised a libby lawyer would defend antifa- nope
    No one On the right is defending the Klan

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not about to defend Antifa. Anyone who commits a crime, and they often do, should pay the price. There's no excuse for the damage they do. None. Inexcusable. Period.

But the same as the Klan? Perhaps you should read up on some history.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Nobody is defending Antifa. It's not even worth your time to engage that craziness.

4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I didn't even have to go back to the 50s to find a KKK lynching. I was actually surprised by this. You really think Antifa and the KKK are the same?

Lynching of Michael Donald - Wikipedia

The lynching of Michael Donald in Mobile, Alabama in 1981 was one of the last lynchings in the United States.[1][2] Several Ku Klux Klan (KKK) members beat and killed Michael Donald, a young African American man, and hung his body from a tree. One perpetrator, Henry Hays, was sentenced to death and executed in 1997, while another, James Knowles, was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty and testifying against Hays. A third man was convicted as an accomplice, and a fourth indicted but he died before his case could be completed at trial.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    It effectively already was, wasn’t it?

Isn’t that basically the purpose of the “going in disguise” clause of 1985(3), which originated in the Ku Klux Klan Act?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    What does this new law bring to the table?

7. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I haven’t looked back at 1985 to compare side by side, but I think it’s got more comprehensive language than they came up with in 1871, doesn’t have the element of going onto the highway, and hasn’t yet been neutered by the courts like much of 1985 ultimately was I guess.

Was just pointing out, in response to some of the “I can’t believe we need this passed now and not in the Klan days” reactions that something fairly similar was passed in the Klan days.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Fair. It must not have been enforced during much of the 1900s then. I did not know it even existed. I rescind my complaint.

9. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Just in case you have notions of the noble goals of Antifa “a relatively few people who are fighting fascism”, you should be aware that they have deep roots in communism. In 'fighting fascism', various Antifa have called for murdering police (along with some BLM cohorts). Hitler is the face of Fascist evil. Stalin is the face of Communist evil. Let there be no confusion about this “Antifa” movement. These neo-stalinists should be condemned in equal measure with neo-nazis, KKK, or any group which advocates violence to achieve their goals.

1932 Communist International:
    [​IMG]

The recent emergence in the U.S. finds a Marxist Dartmouth professor named Mark Bray promoting Antifa:
    "When pushed, violence is a legitimate response"
    [​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah, I don’t know anything about it’s enforcement history, just struck me when I saw the proposed language earlier today that I was pretty sure there was already something about disguises in one of the conspiracy against civil rights statutes and I had to figure out where I had seen it before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There is a law in many States against wearing a hat in a Bank. Usually robbers wear hats to disguise their appearance in cameras at a teller station.

12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The Klan actually has bodies under their belt. How many deaths has Antifa been responsible for? Matter of fact, Neo-Nazis have Antifa beat in the body count category too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 12:45 AM
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The goals of the people in Antifa vary. Some do have noble goals, others do not.

There ARE "a relatively few people" compared to the Nazis and other vile haters.

Maybe some do have roots in communism, but that says nothing of the entire group. Of course, any conservative who voted for or supports Trump should choke on criticism of a group rooted in communism since Trump is on the side of Russia and its chief former communist.

As for the rest of your diatribe....maybe some have called for murder, but almost none have done that. Don't paint the entire group with the words of a few. Conversely, Nazis and white nationalists, which are groups of people Trump has given moral support, actually HAVE murdered in great numbers.

All you are doing is trying to equate Nazi and white nationalist haters, whose numbers of malevolent members are legion, with a tiny group of people, some of whom are malevolent. You have totally failed.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 1:30 AM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    I support neither of these terrorist organizations. You seem to have have a starry-eyed notion that one of them is noble, albeit with a few bad actors but who nevertheless refuse to make a distinction between self-defense and pre-emptive attack, and who are outwardly anti-law-enforcement: "...but once again opposition to police is fairly clear cut and comes from a political tradition stretching back 200 years — so it’s not arbitrary, even if you disagree with it." Antifa violence is ethical? This author explains why
    (NBC News)
    You can't quantify Antifa as 'tiny', you don't know. Nobody actually knows since it's a loose amalgam of malcontents, anarchists, outright Marxists, so-called social justice warriors, vandals, scruffy Occupiers, and others who like to put on masks and carry sticks in mobs. List one thing in my response above that is incorrect about Antifa. If Antifa members don't feel a connection to the communist roots, it's only because they function as useful idiots--a necessary component of any fringe extreme, right or left. They deserve to be equated with other knuckle-dragging, extreme, violent groups...because that's what they are. Can you condemn both of these terrorist organizations as I have done, without equivocation? Go ahead and do it.

• Winner Winner x 1