Another victory for the good guys... Alternate headline: liberals lose in DC

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by DaveFla, Jul 28, 2014.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,663
    The word "Posner" is not a magic spell. The guy is rationalizing and he's wrong. He seems to be confusing the subject matter of Article I -- a standing army and navy that Congress could establish -- and the amendment, ad hoc state militias. For all that, he doesn't even address the point that the prefatory clause is not legally, linguistically, or logically a mandatory precondition on the right. And even if you were to forsake reason and insist it was, it still is a self-explanatory private right of ownership -- so citizens can answer a muster with a weapon they knew and were familiar with.

Could have taken it out "Braveheart", the Scottish teaching themselves how to fight with rocks because they were not allowed to have weapons. In the US, the ham and eggers are allowed to own their weapons and when they show up as militia, they will be "well-regulated", i.e. have their Kiffin together.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,178
    "Keep and bear" isnt self evident of ownership. Indeed, wealthy citizens would often buy the guns (and other arms and equipment) for the whole militia, to be kept elsewhere and used by others.
  3. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,663
    How much tangible property in your home or personal space do you keep and bear but have no ownership interest in? Your driver's license, I guess? Leased items?

Yes, it is obviously private ownership -- or else we're back to the delusional song and dance where 9 amendments limit the power of the government, but one, arbitrarily listed second, actually empowers the government to warehouse and lease/loan out firearms. Or something. Face ---> palm
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,178
    WRT militias, its quite obvious there are any number of situations where a citizen could be tasked to "keep and bear" arms for common defense without them being their own private property, not least of which is the expense involved in owning one's own weapon. The interpreters of the clause are infering mass private ownership for non-common defense purposes, which is fine, but also annoying when we have arguments about close readings of statutes WRT the ACA or some law conservatives dont like. I'm just annoyed with the mental gymnastics, grammar parsing and contortions involved in trying to make Heller and other NRA priorities an "originalist" argument.
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,611
    When we travel I take my pistol. I know there are states I could get into trouble even if it was found in my trunk but I want it in my room at night and take the chance.
  6. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,611
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,318