Another UF coach gone...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by G8RNTN, Dec 19, 2013.

1. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    The bold is just a inaccurate ridiculous statement.

I was so upset when Kelvin Taylor became the starting RB? I love competition and think there needs to be competition throughout the entire season. The true essence of competition is like how Spurrier used to handle the QB position here at Florida- no favorites, no locked in players as starters, and a year round competition. He didn't need to wait 6-7 games to make a change.

Hardin was 4/12 this season. That is just terrible. Velez was 6/8. Not to mention Velez was 1/2 on 40+ yards field goals (made a 44 yarder) while Hardin was 0/6 on 40+ yard field goals. Velez has enough leg to make a 44 yarder so his leg isn't chopped liver. Hardin's long last season was 33 yards and 0 for 6 on 40+ yard attempts.
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    We have no kicking coach. That is one area we didn't have a coach for. I'm not sure if this was always the case, but since Muschamp came to UF, we didn't have a coach for the kickers.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Not at all you complained all year about when certain people arent in the games. When the staff said they were not doing things to get on the field in practice. They also had kicking competitions in practice. If you kicked the best during the week you got to play
  4. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Ugliest-wife.jpg If our kicking game was a girl......
    • Boring Boring x 2
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,098

ST's were his job, and they sucked, period. He was horrible at the job and should have never been given the position in the first place. Durkin should have been left there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,105
    UF was rated top 3 in the SEC in kickoff coverage, punt returns and punting. How is that horrible? And I think proud poppa would know slightly more about the special teams inner workings than any of us.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. SECund2nun

Ratings Received:
    +921
    It was a legit gripe. Taylor should have been the man from week 1. Instead he started week 1 at 4th string. Then finally they got it in their heads to start Taylor as RB. They were 7 weeks late, but better late than never. Taylor had almost no carries until the 6th week against LSU and that was only because Jones went down. Had Jones never been injured Taylor probably would have ended up with 15 carries on the season. I can't take their evaluation of practice seriously when stuff like this happens. I don't know if this was on White, Pease, Muschamp or a combo of them but it needs to stop. We need a Pete Carroll style play the best man no BS structure.

Ultimately game performance is what matters. If you aren't getting it done in the game you need to give someone else a shot to see what they are made of. That is what I consider competition. Practice is just practice. Didn't John Brantley routinely look like Tom Brady in practice? We all saw how he looked on the field.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    So you don't think a true freshman looked very different in week 7 than he would have week 1? That argument that Taylor's performance proves he should have started from week 1 makes no sense to me. You also think Walker should be starting on the bball team right now?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Muschamp said Taylor was playing more no matter what LSU game.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I just dont think Secund understand football or the maturation process of a young athlete in general. People learn and get better. I said at the beginning of the year that I expected Taylor to get more and more carries as the year went on. It takes kids time but some people just dont understand that. Some people are already calling Robinson a bust.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,059
    It's why there is the term "phenom" because so very few actually are college ready before they hit a college campus..if they were all ready when they hit the campus there would be no use for said term. for instance: Sammy Watkins was a freshman phenom..definitely the exception to the rule.
  12. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Hiring a coach from New Mexico, and we wonder why we look like a mid major team.
    • Boring Boring x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +914
    I'm sorry, I've been away from football for awhile,
    is it good news when one of your coaches makes a lateral move....to the Washington Huskies?
    And you replace him with a recent grad assistant with limited coaching experience....at New Mexico?
    Deck chairs on the Titanic.....
    • Boring Boring x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Understand exactly what is asked of a Special Teams Coach... His main focus is kick-off and punt return and cover plays. The new coach will be no more a k/p "coach" than Choate or Durkin. Kyle said that Hutzler was every bit as involved w/ ST as Durkin was in 2011, and he appears to have done a more than creditable job @ NM.

My real question on the coverage teams is who's going to step up and be the next Purifoy? As a "gunner" and punt blocker, he was one of the best the past 2 seasons. Who's going to step up and fill that void? ST @ UF have been special because they treat it so. You just don't "walk-on to" the UF Special Teams Cover/Return Teams. You have to show desire and ability. At least that how DJ & Meyer explained it to Kyle and me back in 2010.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    The insignificance of this fire cannot be overstated!
  16. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    That's not really a fair assessment. Coaches have to get their start somewhere. We hired Meyer from Utah! Nick Saban started as a GA at Kent State. Dan Mullen started as a WR coach at Wagner (bet you never heard of that school!).
  17. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    A guy (that everyone on here wanted gone) makes a lateral move to coaches he knows and we bring back somebody that was here when we had better special teams and who our coaches obviously think very highly of. Sooo....yes, it's good news.

But the comments regarding him being from New Mexico are warranted. Who cares that he was on staff at Stanford and UF?! No up-and-coming coach has ever gone to a small school to cut his teeth before moving to UF! This is horrible!
  18. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    FSU kicked off a lot more and Punted less though. That can skew your averages.
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,064
    Time will tell.

Yup, we just have to wait and see. Muschamp can't be hiring coaches he has to groom. He's looking for guys that can run their department without his having to micromanage. If he gets it right we'll be a lot better next year.
  20. SECund2nun

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Sure there must have been some improvement, but he did not improve so much in a 6 week span that he went from not good enough to get more than a couple of carries against Toledo and not being good enough to get a single carry in week 5 to by far our best RB in week 6. Taylor did not magically morph from 3rd string RB to our best RB right after week 5 ended and right before week 6 started. Obviously the Jones injury forced their hand at change.

The fact that Taylor only got carries starting in week 6 because Jones got injured proves that they were not planning to get Taylor any worthwhile amount of carries. Plus both Jones and Brown are mediocre RBs so it does not take much to be better than them right off of the bat. Taylor was the best RB in week 1, but apparently the coaches decided to give Mack Brown 25 carries against Toledo and all of the other RBs combined had just 11 carries.