Another trap, another dead teen

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, May 3, 2014.

1. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Do you not understand that "Trespassing" is a crime? Are you that naive? It doesn't matter whether the kid was going to steal anythign or not. When he entered that garage, HE BROKE THE LAW!!!

If he had done that during the day, he would most likely NOT been shot. But, he did it AFTER MIDNIGHT!!!

How dense does a person have to be to understand that breaking into a person's property after midnight can have devastating consequences?

Let us turn this around just slightly. What if the kid had a pistol on him when he was shot? Would that justify his killing? What if he had been high on drugs and had that pistol? What if his fingerprints had been found on the door leading to the house itself and he was high on drugs and had a pistol? Would you then say that the killing was justified?

If you answered YES to ANY of those scenarios, then you have no right to complain about what happened to the kid, as the homeowner did NOT know when he pulled the trigger that any of those scenarios was not true.
  2. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    That's your response to burglary. My response is to put one between the eyes of the party breaking into my property at 12:30 AM. I am not going to try and find out whether they have a weapon or not. I am going to assume that if they are willing to break in, then they will have the means to defend themselves. So, a bullet between their eyes is what they will receive from me, whether that be a 10 year old or a 50 year old.

You break into my property, then you DESERVE to die, in my opinion. You don't feel the same, then don't break into my property and you won't have a problem.
  3. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    I will agree with you on part of your statement. Homeowners should not be allowed to kill just because they are mad. Now, what I disagree with. I believe a homeowner is justified in killing any burglar while said burglar is in the process of committing the crime on the homeowners' property.

Can that be abused? Yes, it can. And, I would have no problems with the police investigating whether the person was actually committing a crime. But, if a person breaks into the home of another for the purpose of taking what is not theirs, then I believe that the law SHOULD state that a homeowner has the right to kill them for doing so.

I don't agree with the law as written, where you have to feel threatened in order to kill. I think that the mere fact that your home has been broken into justifies the right to defend both your life AND YOUR PROPERTY. And, I say, to hell with the thief. They should have no legal rights, once they enter a property illegally.
  4. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Finally, an answer I can wholehaeartedly agree with, although you should purchase a weapon. Even if you never use it, that is what is called INSURANCE.
  5. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Read my previous post, where I state that I should have the right to kill ANY intruder into my home. But, just because I believe I SHOULD have the right to do that, does not mean I WILL deal with all cases that way. So, to answer your original question, YES, I should have the right to kill even that 8 year old who is illegally on my property, taking something that does not belong to them. Again, that doesn't mean i WILL resort to killing in every case. But, I should have the RIGHT to do it in every case.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    If there were more people like these homeowners, there would be less criminals. I'd make the teens parents pay for the time spent cleaning up the mess.
  7. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Would it not then become a case of self defense?
  8. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +97
    Well, it depends. What the Castle doctrine does is it increases the burden on the prosecution to prove that the Defendant's use of force is excessive. For example, the Colorado Statute allows a homeowner to use deadly force if he reasonably believes that the victim is an intruder committing or intending to commit a crime. The prosecution would have prove not only that the Defendant's use of deadly force was unnecessary but that the Defendant didn't even have a reasonable belief that the victim was an intruder committing a crime.
  9. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    Actually, the scenario that you're referring to as mine is what the homeowners told police they did. Yours is complete fiction.
    I'd suggest you actually read some of the news stories that have been posted.
  10. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    That's what I meant when I said that the Castle Doctrine did not apply as it specifically excludes people who have the right to be in the dwelling and law enforcement officers...

Without the ability to use the Castle Doctrine as a defense, then the next logical defense would be the state's self defense statutes.
  11. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    What's he doing in the dark in the early morning on the guy's property anyway?If your supposition is right, why not walk up to the front door and ring the doorbell?
  12. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    I had the police come to our front door early one morning to tell us we left our garage doors open. He said that he had been alerted by a neighbor.

I thanked him, and closed the doors.
  13. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,458
    when all is said and done, does a burglary deserve death?
    that's my question.
    not saying unpunishable, but is it a death sentence?
    and that is if we accept that the kid was stealing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,458
    exactly.

we're a bloodthirsty lot, aren't we?
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,360
    Or could have been scared straight by an arrest and a few days in the slammer. But we will never know.
  16. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,851
    Well certainly that would have been a better outcome, but this particular time he picked the wrong person.
  17. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,360
    Stop making assumptions about believers. I'm pro-life... Anti-revenge...Turn the other cheek...I believe all of those in this kids case too. Nothing he did warranted death. Nothing.

There is not a possession in my house that I would kill someone over. Not one. Now there are 4 people living in my house (not including me) that I would defend and would kill over. But not one single possession.

I think this guy is a cold-blooded killer.
  18. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +5,360
    Certainly. And I understand your position here, more than some seem too. Your not really defending the shooter, as much as you are pointing out the kids risk. I think that is a fair position to take.
    I think kids need to be aware that consequences are sometimes severe.
    That does not limit the liability however of a shooter.
  19. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,851
    I just don't get it, this was an exchange student from Germany and would think this would be a behavior that such a person would not engage. The shooter is going away for the rest of his life and that is a foregone conclusion in my mind.
  20. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Given the same situation, can you guarantee, in the moments allowed for you to make such a decision, that the person burglarizing your home isn't armed and is not hell-bent on killing you and your family?

You and I have the luxury of hindsight. This guy did not.