Another mental health thread

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Oct 21, 2013.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Ouch that sucks. My lifting has been way off schedule lately. I take time off to let my shoulder heal only to have my elbows start acting up then when I start being able to do a little more with them I tweak my knee. Its effing frustrating.
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    There aren't many people I can trust with stuff like this, but I've been a member of this forum for over 10 years. People here truly care about each other. There has always been the anonymity, but I don't think that even matters anymore. I was recently "outed." Somebody on one of the forums figured out who I was and commented on a post to a member of my family. That person may even read this thread. I don't care. The conversation we're having here is too valuable to worry about things like that. It's not even about me anymore.

20% of the population suffers from depression and many don't seek help because they don't understand what's wrong with them or they're uncomfortable talking about it. For someone like that, stumbling over a thread like this could be incredibly helpful. They will discover that there are other people experiencing the same thing, that people are not likely to judge you because you have depression and that a lot of people are eager to help, many of whom have valuable insight to share.
  3. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    That's good to know, especially since we enjoy a lot of the same kind of music. BTW, I was the one who posted the Grimes video. I do check out a lot of the music you link, eclectic to say the least.

Music is great therapy.

Television must be as well. Notice that there's one in every hospital room.
  4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Frustrating in so many ways. I write for a living and now I can't type the letters w, e, s, d, x and c without experiencing excruciating pain. Finally splinted my ring finger and buddy taped it to my middle finger. Was crossing the street an hour ago at a crosswalk marked "Stop when pedestrians are crossing" when three cars in a row zipped through. I tried to flip them off, not remembering that I couldn't bend the appropriate fingers. Must have looked like a backwards wave.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Oh yea. It's my thread. Let's not let it turn into a "Tendon Health" thread.

Maybe I should start a thread titled "Mood disorder you are experiencing today" and see if it goes the route of the beer and music threads.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    On the positive side, I recently joined the West Suburban Chevra Kadisha (You're probably one of the only people on the boards who knows what that is) and I was called in to take part in my first Tahara tonight. I'm obviously not able to do that nor am I in the ideal state of mind.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    That's incredible but definitely not something that you would want to take part in when you aren't in the best state of mind. Not sure how I would feel about that actually. Could be very uplifting or possibly more depressing.
  7. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    You seem like a very well rounded interesting dude. Your endeavors really traverse some wild areas

Sent from my mind using ESP
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    From what I've been told, you are too busy during most of the process, you don't have time to think. But the end is somewhat surreal and sad. Seeing the deceased in the final stage was described as "unearthly." And whether you knew the person or not or not, the six of you are the last people who will see him for eternity. It felt good to volunteer. It is supposedly one of the greatest mitzvot you can perform. I have a lot of catching up to do on that front. Been more of a taker than a giver in my life.

Back to the subject of the thread, I think that doing for others is a great way to self-treat depression, just not quite as good as a crippling workout.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Thanks for the kind words. For the record, I'm a reasonably culturally literate but dysfunctional dude. Some would say my endeavors are totally inappropriate for a 55 year-old suburban husband and father, namely my wife and daughter. (Daughter thinks I'm a perve for liking Grimes) My son thinks I'm pretty cool. He's my best friend.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Anyone out there with borderline personality disorder, bipolar one or two or schizophrenia? How about OCD or PTSD? General Anxiety Disorder (co-morbid diagnosis for me). Any sociopaths or narcissists? Just so you know that this thread is open to everyone. Depression gets kind of boring, not to mention depressing.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Should have mentioned this in the fitness forum but I put did one rep of 305 two weeks ago, personal best by 20 pounds. That hurts my finger just thinking about it.
  12. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,336
    I have anxiety disorder, social maladjustment, borderline, and schizoaffective disorder with bipolar. so I be all messed up. :sad:
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    It might be fun to start a personal best thread over there. That is actually 40 pounds better than my best bench and I'm 32. I can deadlifts over 400 and squat in the mid 300s at least.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    One of those sounds like more than enough for one person. You sure you need them all I'd be willing to be bipolar for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorPrincess8

Ratings Received:
    +3,336
    I would gladly let you be Bipolar for me. That is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    From what I've heard or read, there are promising developments in the treatment of bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. Your anxiety and social maladjustment issues are likely directly related to those other diagnoses and not organic issues. If you got control of the first two, the others would be something you could control. Schizoaffective disorder is probably on the same axis as the bipolar and borderline personality disorders. You are a good candidate for genomic sequencing. Ten bucks says you are not the first in your family to deal with one or more of these issues. The genomic work won't cure you, but it will make sure you're getting medication that helps you without exacerbating some of the other issues.

$20 bucks says you are over diagnosed. The symptoms for those "illnesses" are very similar. That usually leads to being over medicated. At the very least you may have been lead to believe that you are less stable than you really are. This is not a criticism of your doctor, but the system that exists right now. You should ask your doctor to reassess the diagnostic criteria based on DSM-5 which just came out a few months ago. Better yet. go somewhere like Atlanta, Philly, Boston, NY or Chicago and get a more thorough workup. If you go to NY, I know a really good genomics guy to consult with.

Imagine what your life would e like if you were healthier than you thought, or if you suddenly became healthier than you'd been since you were a kid.
  17. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Don't come close to those numbers in the dead lift or squat. Too many knee and back problems in my past. My left knee starts to buckle with free weights over 250. I use cables for my dead lift. The head trainer at my club claims that nobody over 50 should put 300 pounds on a bar for either. He doesn't even want me to use a bar for those exercises. He's in his late 60s.

I like having the explosive power in my lower body, but I compensate by doing high rep work in the mid to high 200 range. That's good functional strength for me at the dojo. There are some heavy dudes there, but the big issue there is pushing the same people around over and over for one or two hours.
  18. GatorPrincess8

Ratings Received:
    +3,336
    Oh, I can't afford to fly to NY or any place like that. I live on a fixed income.
  19. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    For genomic work, you could get someone to draw a sample locally and have it sent to a sequencing outfit. Probably doesn't matter where. The trick is finding out how to get Medicaid to pay for it. The current cost is about $4000, but it's getting cheaper all the time. The first one completed 10 years ago was $1,000,000,000.
  20. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,073
    That stinks, I am turning 46 and I am working out with 315 on squat and 235 on bench and still climbing, I was thinking about maxing out but now I am having second thoughts. I don't want to mess anything up.